F/A-18D ATARS Rear Cockpit Reference

Hi all,

Finally getting the 20 year-old Black Box cockpit stuffed into my ATARS bird and would like to know if there are online sources of photos, especially the side consoles and additional ATARS-related items.

BTW, removing the kit wheel wells for the Aires set was no walk in the park. Lots of grinding and reaming. Thank goodness for the flex shaft on my Dremel.

Thanks!

Mike B

I don't know the answer to your question, but I was curious. My understanding is ATARS can be fitted relatively quickly to any F/A-18D built after a certain serial number, so cockpit changes would have to be minimal. I did find this article related to the BB cockpit set for general corrections (assuming it's the one you have). I also ran across this 1/32 conversion that has a new side console listed as a "ATARS Control Panel"

I can confirm Crash Test’s answer that cockpit changes would be minimal. My old man was an ATARS instructor so I asked him. He said the only unique thing in the cockpit of recon birds was a small switch the pilot had. Nothing that would make a huge difference in 1/48th scale.

The ATARS control panel is in the aft cockpit for the WSO. There are no controls for the ATARS in the front for the pilot. 

While the initial plan was to install/remove the pallet as needed, it became clear that wasn't feasible. Once an aircraft was fitted with it, it pretty much stayed on that bird. 

I know you're building a 1/48 kit, but our 1/32 conversion for the Academy kit includes a replacement panel for the aft cockpit with the control panel.

ATARS-Panel.jpg

ATARS-Control-Panel-v4.png

On 5/16/2022 at 6:19 AM, Dave Roof said:

The ATARS control panel is in the aft cockpit for the WSO. There are no controls for the ATARS in the front for the pilot. 

While the initial plan was to install/remove the pallet as needed, it became clear that wasn't feasible. Once an aircraft was fitted with it, it pretty much stayed on that bird. 

I know you're building a 1/48 kit, but our 1/32 conversion for the Academy kit includes a replacement panel for the aft cockpit with the control panel.

ATARS-Panel.jpg

ATARS-Control-Panel-v4.png

Thanks Dave!  I see your name was in the references for the BB set.  What Color were the Sidewalls?  Is the NVG Case reasonably accurate in the BB set?  It seems to clash with the Grimes Light Cord.

Mike B

On 5/17/2022 at 10:27 PM, jmel said:

This book may be of help.  It covers the USMC jets and ATARS very thoroughly.

Jake

https://www.reidairpublishing.com/books/the-modern-hornet-guide-the-boeing-fa-18abcd-exposed

Thanks Jake!

I do have the DACO volume on the Hornet but it’s pretty shy on the ATARS Aft Cockpit.  Some good exterior shots tho’,

Mike B