US Postal Service SNAFU

I suspect that someone at my local post office may have made a decision unilaterally to keep my mail from being delivered.

I ordered 5 sets of decals from UpRise decals in Russia on 30 January.  Dmitry printed and posted them on 23 February at St. Petersburg post office.  On 3 March I received postal tracking saying that the package had been received at St. Petersburg post office on 23 February.  Then no change in status for two and a half months, until Saturday evening, when Dmitry emails me and asks me to check the USPS tracking site.  I check the USPS tracking site and received this notification (see screen shot).

Screenshot_20220509-200900_Chrome.thumb.jpg.a2ab291f4a5a10a8669575ce0c4aa4e2.jpg 

Very bizarre!  I have not moved.  I went to my local post office this morning (33611) and spoke with one of my regular clerks.  He checked in the back, couldn't find it; then he checked another spot; still couldn't find it. So he checked his online system and said that it was already on its way back to Russia. He suggested I try a package intercept. I did it online in front of him; DENIED!  So who decided that I had moved and to return the package (flat envelope)?  I am pissed!  I will file a complaint with the post office in the morning.

Dutch

Edited by Dutch

Perhaps someone at USPS decided your purchased goods were included under import sanctions imposed on Russian products being exported to the US?

Seems the most obvious explanation, and "Moved - Left no Address" was simply the easiest option for them to enter as the reason to "Return to Sender"?

3 hours ago, andyf117 said:

Perhaps someone at USPS decided your purchased goods were included under import sanctions imposed on Russian products being exported to the US?

Seems the most obvious explanation, and "Moved - Left no Address" was simply the easiest option for them to enter as the reason to "Return to Sender"?

Andy, I think you may be onto something there, but I do not think decals makes the list of banned items.

2 hours ago, airmechaja said:

The Postmaster General is the office to contact. This is right up their alley. It's worked for me.

That I will do.

2 hours ago, ElectroSoldier said:

Russophobia?
In America?

Never!

Not that it isn’t fully deserved, as current events show, but that’s unlikely that’s what happened here.  Either the address on the box was wrong, or most likely the PO misread it or just plain messed up.

Sorry to hear about your troubles, my favorite from our PO, is that anytime we order dog food, they claim the mailbox is full and won't deliver it.  We have 3 big dogs and order large bags of food >35lbs. I like to know how they think it was going to fit in the mailbox regardless...

This morning, I received this new status from USPS. Note that the DTG on the notification email is: Wednesday, May 11, 2022 4:30:33 AM, however, the status is in the future!  So the question is: which destination? My house or the sender?

Curiouser and curiouser!

Your item arrived at our USPS facility in ATLANTA GA NETWORK DISTRIBUTION CENTER on May 11, 2022 at 8:14 am. The item is currently in transit to the destination.

Status

Arrived at USPS Regional Facility

May 11, 2022 at 8:14 am

ATLANTA GA NETWORK DISTRIBUTION CENTER 

Edited by Dutch

I had something similar a while back with an eBay purchase - on receiving an 'item delivered' email notification when the postman had just delivered other stuff, but not that item, I checked its tracking information on the Royal Mail website...

....the pinpoint location given on the map not only showed that the package had been delivered to a spot between two houses on a street in a totally different part of the country, but it was also timestamped with what was the following morning's date!

It actually arrived here the next day...

5 hours ago, Dutch said:

This morning, I received this new status from USPS. Note that the DTG on the notification email is: Wednesday, May 11, 2022 4:30:33 AM, however, the status is in the future!  So the question is: which destination? My house or the sender?

Curiouser and curiouser!

Your item arrived at our USPS facility in ATLANTA GA NETWORK DISTRIBUTION CENTER on May 11, 2022 at 8:14 am. The item is currently in transit to the destination.

Status

Arrived at USPS Regional Facility

May 11, 2022 at 8:14 am

ATLANTA GA NETWORK DISTRIBUTION CENTER 

I think USPS shows GMT sometimes. I can confirm that mail from Russia is being delivered, just got a package from my Dad sent on Apr 23.

I really don't mean to slag USPS, but I shuddered upon watching the image of the tracking site Dutch posted above.

I used USPS twice in less than three years. First time was at the beggining of the pandemic outbreak, when I purchased some A-10 goods from Michael Valdez at Sierra Hotel Models.

Progress would show exactly the same info during the first two months after "the label had been created", to then display the very same info regarding "the parcel has been dispatched from - I don't recall where in..." (Cali?) for another two more months, until goods finally arrived in Buenos Aires.

My e-mails to them were simply ignored. In any case, I never got a reply back from them, until goods finally showed up.

Next time I suffered USPS was last year, and it was only because I purchased a Harder & Steenbeck airbrush at Spray Gunner in Miami, and shipping was free. Once again, tracking progress was always showing the same irrelevant info. USPS were supposed to deliver my parcel to a relative who dwells in Miami, and he was going to bring the parcel down here for me. There were no updates for nearly a month and a half, and then, when I contacted Spray Gunners about it, they replied to me that USPS had simply lost my parcel... :rolleyes:

Can't USPS deliver a parcel from Oldsmar to Miami in three-days' time, than the parcel is even lost in the way? That's quite serious.

Just my two penn'orth.

Cheers,

Gwen 

5 hours ago, ElectroSoldier said:

Their charges are also killing US exports (((

They certainly are. There have been various items for sale on here which I'd have loved to have bought - such as one of the Canadian 'packages' @Dutch was offering - but the cost of having them posted to the UK are prohibitive...

1 hour ago, andyf117 said:

They certainly are. There have been various items for sale on here which I'd have loved to have bought - such as one of the Canadian 'packages' @Dutch was offering - but the cost of having them posted to the UK are prohibitive...

Andy, 

As far as I can see, postage rates have increased everywhere.  I recently purchased decals from Australia and was surprised to learn that the Aussie postage was twice what the decals cost.  As to my Canadian sales list, I am fixing to post more kits this weekend.  Work with me and make me an offer.  I pack as small and lightly as possible.   I really have to make room very soon as we have three dachshunds moving in for the summer.

K/r,

Dutch

Agreed - someone posted in the Spares Box looking for a part, which know I have...

....one small piece of plastic would cost a minimum of 4 bucks to send, 5 by airmail...

....though at least Royal Mail still offer a 30-45 days surface mail option, unlike USPS.

It was the Cormorant package for $25 that I had been seriously tempted by...

8 hours ago, GreyGhost said:

To paraphrase Shawn:

"USPS blows dead bears ..." :485c3a61:

-Gregg

NO....... Dont paraphrase me you'll wake the dead bears at Canada Post , then they will fall asleep again once I do an order!

• 6 months later...

So, I know that it has been awhile since posting any news on the subject, but I received an email today from Dmitry, the vendor at UpRise decals (RUS), saying that he still had not received the returned package.

I checked the status with USPS and it has not changed since 11 May 2022, still showing transitting the Atlanta, GA Post Office.  At the time, my local PO said I could not conduct a trace. I will attempt to do so today.

Screenshot_20221122_142124_Chrome.thumb.jpg.cad7356839869fcaeb00a6a755efd9ed.jpg

Good luck, I bought an e bay item in NJ, they sent it to Maine, then it was sent to California, then to Florida's east coast then finally to me on Florida's west coast. Why should it take 3 weeks plus to get from Jersey to Florida? I was told back then it was because some genius leader was gonna fix the postal system and his henchmen got rid of the sorting machines. In the last couple years it seems to have come somewhat back to "normal" if there is such a thing.

Edited by jonwinn