Buying from Ukraine.

Hey folks. Just a public service announcement.
I ordered some model aftermarket items from a shop in Ukraine. I found the link to the items and shop on scalemates. 
Mostly stuff that wasn't available elsewhere and a few vac canopies that are, just to fill the pack. To be honest, I wasn't expecting it to arrive with all that is happening. I also figured if it didn't, at least the guy would have a few euros to use as he saw fit. I certainly felt he had higher priorities than filling my order for bits for (what are effectively toy) planes.

To my surprise, the package landed safe and sound at my door today, despite Irish customs best efforts to intercept (and open) the package.

Delighted for 2 reasons,
1 I have nice detail items for my planned B-1 build,
2 more importantly this may be a sign that life (in some parts at least) in Ukraine may actually be returning to something approaching normal. I can only hope...
And if you see something you like from a Ukraine based shop, especially hobby.dn.ua, take a chance. I'm glad I did.

Edited by roym
Corrected shop web addy

I too ordered a couple Reskit items.  They took 5-6 weeks, but arrived safely.  Unfortunately, I'm not sure life is very normal at all in the Ukraine.

I was torn ordering them.  On the not to order side, it seems silly to bother people stuck in war with something as frivolous as model parts.  For ordering, I was happy to give some money to them personally, and their economy.  Wish I knew what was the best answer.

I ordered a few kits from Dora Wings. They have a banner at the top of the website that essentially says all funds from sales go to an account of the Ukrainian Army.  I ordered in mid-March maybe, they haven’t gotten here yet, but I really don’t care when or if they do, it’s seems like a small thing to do.

I ordered a couple sets of Foxbot decals a month or so ago on eBay.  I figured if they shipped great, and if not it was a donation.   They now show as shipped, so maybe they will show up, but if not I’m fine with that too.   

On 5/12/2022 at 6:38 PM, ALF18 said:

Don't feel torn at all. They appreciate the business, and need it to survive. I ordered $100 worth of Quinta Studios stuff from them. Even if it's Russian-supplied, they were quite happy to sell their in-inventory items to me. I received this email back from the owner of plastic-models-store.com, after I inquired about their ability to fill my order. This was from early April. A few weeks later, they said they were reopening, and would ship soon.

I'll echo what @ALF18 said. I was scrolling through Scalemates last month, looking at kits from ICM and noticed that one of their offerings was marked as "available" from Plastic-Model-Store.com

The "Latest News" section of their website had recently been updated with a "We are opened!" blog... you can read it here: LINK

So I placed an order for the kit I wanted, along with a couple of aftermarket bits, all from Ukrainian companies.

When will I get the shipment? Dunno'. Doesn't matter.

Heck I'll probably buy from them again. 

They are trying to put their economy in motion, so I believe any business they can make adds to it; I think that, aside from the monetary aspect, the sense of returning to normalcy through work could help.

This past month, I've ordered directly from some Ukrainian manufacturers and added at least one item to the cart, which I indicate in the shipping instructions not to be sent and to keep as a donation to them. Maybe not the most efficient way to do it, but at least one of them told me that it would be used to buy medical kits.

None of the orders has arrived so far, but I equally don't care; I'll be buying more from them.

On 5/12/2022 at 9:36 PM, roym said:

Delighted for 2 reasons,
1 I have nice detail items for my planned B-1 build,
2 more importantly this may be a sign that life (in some parts at least) in Ukraine may actually be returning to something approaching normal. I can only hope...
And if you see something you like from a Ukraine based shop, especially hobby.dn.uk, take a chance. I'm glad I did.

Hi roym, just a small correction, for those who are interested, the shop is http://hobby.dn.ua...   not .uk!

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Just got two submarine kits from Mikro-Mir just a few days ago. They have taken about a week to get to me before, now, roughly three weeks.

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

I had ordered some metal MiG-3 exhausts from Ukraine before the war broke out, knowing it would take about 5 weeks to make and then ship (they're made to order).  Funny being caught between wondering if your stuff is gonna get here, and yet knowing the real concern should be for the human beings there who make and send the things in the first place.  Little realization finally set in that if the stuff made it here, then at least the people on the other end probably, hopefully, are ok, and glad for something "normal" to pursue in life.

Just got my little envelope from the Plastic Models Store in Kyiv. Three Quinta Studios cockpit decals. They arrived in great shape, well packed, with a nice little business card inside.

QrQI7ds.jpg

W4n9IJv.jpg

Nice to see they are still in business. I will definitely order from them again soon.

ALF

My order from Plastic Model Store arrived this morning. 

Ordered April 28th

Shipped May 17th (waited for restocked items)

Arrived at my office June 20th. 👍

I'll have to open it up and check everything out later today, but the packaging is solid, so I see no reason to be concerned with anything on that front.

Fresh from Ukraine! I ordered these some weeks ago when Wingsy announced that they were still kickin' and shipping kits. The outer box was kinda dinged, but the kits are immaculate. Cardstock box tops with stapled corners, corrugated bottoms with a folding lid that keys into the front sides. All have an etched fret, comprehensive decals, beautiful instructions and lovely sprues chock full of detail. The 109 and Sonia have canopy masks, and the 109 has a beautiful full color insert of the color options, while the Claude has an option of a transparency for the instrument gauges as well as decals.  Highly recommended. 287513734_10159813338257906_2451185466781149410_n.thumb.jpg.b798ef23d625a0658cc2c5d7f806aa77.jpg287536785_10159813338512906_8212235853319199537_n.thumb.jpg.eedc7e1a1306edfc892be4665ce958e5.jpg

287479634_10159813338272906_8617609839280209500_n.jpg

287610073_10159813338472906_7290280602703060858_n.jpg

• 3 months later...

I just received Roden's 1/72 AJ-1 Savage kit from Ukraine.  I ordered it on August 22nd.  It was well packaged and received it perfect condition.  This is the 3rd kit I received from Ukraine since the Russian invasion.  It takes longer to receive than from other sources,  but from my experience, it's fine to order from Ukraine.  (btw, the kit looks great)  

Edited by fasteagle12

Ordered Roden's 1/72 AJ-1 Savage kit from an E-Bay seller in the Ukraine on the 24th of Sept, just dropped off to my door step an hour ago so no issues from ordering things from Ukraine.

Now to figure out what to do with my old Mach 2 AJ Savage sitting in the stash....................

dilemma

On 10/20/2022 at 8:31 AM, Cajun21 said:

Perhaps a burnt offering to the plastic gods? A paint mule maybe?

Cheers :cheers:

Itch

Seems my dilemma has been solved without me doing a darn thing..............my MACH 2 AJ Savage has gone AWOL, can't find it in my stash anywhere!

Guess it go so embarrassed of it self when I put the Roden one in the stash is fled and is hiding on some dark corner of the stash. As far as I'm concerned it can stay there, I'm not emptying my stash closet just to go looking for it, it ain't worth the day's work when I can put that time to sniffing glue and spilling paint.