F-14B Fish bowl display + Lantirn

Ok, if I'm understanding correctly, early examples of B and D Tomcats used the fish bowl display while utilizing LANTIRN until their eventual-full-upgrade with the PTID screen(s)? That being the case, did they also have the LANTIRN control Stick on the left side-of the rear cockpit?

18 minutes ago, goondman said:

Ok, if I'm understanding correctly, early examples of B and D Tomcats used the fish bowl display while utilizing LANTIRN until their eventual-full-upgrade with the PTID screen(s)? That being the case, did they also have the LANTIRN control Stick on the left side-of the rear cockpit?

Yes, no matter what screen the bird had you still needed the controller on the left hand counsel. 

• 1 month later...

Not to re-open a really old can of worms that we've debated in years long past....

but I thought the PTID displays were brought online with the first LANTIRN F-14Bs? I was under the impression that the older fishbowl TID display used in the F-14As and Bs in theory *could* use the LANTIRN, but the resolution was pretty terrible to the point of being unuseable? I know the D models had a higher-resolution TID display that could handle the LANTIRN footage more easily. I seem to recall hearing that in the early LANTIRN years of the mid 1990s, PTIDs were transferred between squadrons whenever LANTIRNs were shifted, and that TARPS equipped jets (at least early on) typically never got PTID displays?

6 hours ago, Skull Leader said:

Not to re-open a really old can of worms that we've debated in years long past....

but I thought the PTID displays were brought online with the first LANTIRN F-14Bs? I was under the impression that the older fishbowl TID display used in the F-14As and Bs in theory *could* use the LANTIRN, but the resolution was pretty terrible to the point of being unuseable? I know the D models had a higher-resolution TID display that could handle the LANTIRN footage more easily. I seem to recall hearing that in the early LANTIRN years of the mid 1990s, PTIDs were transferred between squadrons whenever LANTIRNs were shifted, and that TARPS equipped jets (at least early on) typically never got PTID displays?

I've never heard that and I did two cruises with LANTRIN equipped Bravo's (VF-143 98 and 00 cruise). In 98 our birds has the fishbowl TID's (they're a great place to set your cranial while you are FOD checking the back seat) and we flew LANTRIN on every bird. I don't recall getting PTID's from other squadrons before work-ups and then having to give them up after the cruise either and I was in QA (we had to FOD check the cockpit just about anytime someone touched the plane).

15 hours ago, GW8345 said:

I've never heard that and I did two cruises with LANTRIN equipped Bravo's (VF-143 98 and 00 cruise). In 98 our birds has the fishbowl TID's (they're a great place to set your cranial while you are FOD checking the back seat) and we flew LANTRIN on every bird. I don't recall getting PTID's from other squadrons before work-ups and then having to give them up after the cruise either and I was in QA (we had to FOD check the cockpit just about anytime someone touched the plane).

Well, that answers that!