1/144 Trumpeter F-86F-40 modified to Korean War F-86F-1

This kit was originally a F-86F-40 Sabre, a post Korean War variant operating with the JASDF.  I was interested in F-86 Sabres during the Korean War and so I search for information on F-86 operating in the Korean War. I found out about Capt Joseph McConnell. he had flown 3 Sabres during his tour of duty in the Korean War. I decided to build the last aircraft he flew then, FU-910 "Beautous Butch II"  

It was on this day in 1953 that McConnell scored his  16th victory kills making him the first triple jet ace. He was awarded the Distinguished Service Cross for that upon his recall back to the States.

The kit is well molded with crisp panel lines and fit was good. the only one shortcoming was the nose landing gear door. It was smaller than desired as I found out when building it in a in-flight position. This was easily overcome with fabricating on using plastic sheet.

I had to do some rework to back-mod the build to a F-86F-1 to best depict the one flown by McConnell. The obvious ones are trimming the main wings and adding the wing fence. I added the drop tank braces using strips. And then added the pilot and dress up the cockpit. I left the air brakes in the deployed mode as it was pretty detailed and looked pretty good in flight.

I sprayed it overall with Mr Metal Aluminium and used cotton buds to buff it for varying degree of shine. Decals were self-made

Enjoy the photos.

S K Loh

11.jpg

10.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

06.jpg

07.jpg

08.jpg

09.jpg