F-104G Marineflieger

Hi all,

I've got the Kinetic F-104G and want to convert this to the Marineflieger version with Kormorant missles.

Anyone know if decals are available and anything else I might need to get this right?

All help much appreciated!

Thanks

Doesn’t the first boxing of the Kinetic F-104G have markings for MFG-2?  That’s what I’m using along with the Eduard Kormoran I set, which includes the F-104 pylons.  If you want the AN/ALE-40 dispensers, I think the DACO improvement set is the only option.  Fortunately, you can order just the specific sprues that you need from DACO instead of having to buy the whole set.

For decals, you should find most of what you need here.

https://www.hahen.com/epages/64625185.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/64625185/Products/48030

Their decals are excellent. I know there are a couple of members on Britmodeller forum who could answer your questions regarding details.

Good luck.

Craig

1_48_tf_f_104g_marine.jpg

'Morning all,

@Craig, those decals look great!

Would anyone know if Gunze or MRP (or anyone else) suplies the correct colors for the Kriegsmarine variant?

Also does anyone know if the TF also carried the Kormorants?

Marc.

I can´t spell any light on the colors (except that I´d like to emphasize that it isn't "Kriegsmarine" anymore... 😉 ), since I would most likely go somewhere along the Revell Acryllics range and towards Basaltgrau 77 with that scheme for the topside.

But I´d like to follow any details especially concerning the Kormoran-armament, particular if it comes with Sidewinders under the belly. Don´t know if that a realistic outfith, though.

HAJO

Apologies all,

I didn't realise thet Kriegsmarine belonged to a different era.

Please confirm Bundesmarine is the correct term and I will change the topic title.

Thanks for the heads up Hajo!

Marc.

2 hours ago, serendip said:

Apologies all,

I didn't realise thet Kriegsmarine belonged to a different era.

Please confirm Bundesmarine is the correct term and I will change the topic title.

Thanks for the heads up Hajo!

Marc.

To make things more complicated... It´s "Deutsche Marine" now. It was "Bundesmarine" (Federal Navy) when we had two german states, with the other one having a "Volksmarine" (Peoples Navy). When we re-united, there was no need anymore to distinguish between two different armed forces.

But since the Starfighter operated during the cold war, "Bundesmarine" is correct! 🙂

HAJO

Edited by Hajo L.

Since ve are Germans zere is a norm, of course:

Top RAL 7012 Basaltgrau

Belly RAL 9006 Weissaluminium

Inlet RAL 9005 Tiefschwarz

More info you'll find here, but according to the old Doncolor-files the colors mentioned above should be correct.

RAL ~ "Reichsausschuss für Lieferbedingungen“ (founded 23.04.1925), today it's called "RAL Deutsches Institut für Gütesicherung und
Kennzeichnung e.V."

2 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

I’ve never seen a Kormoran, practice or live, on a TF.

Neither have I, but I only spent a year in 2./MFG2...

Saw a Kormoran sitting on the runway once, though, appearently came loose just before take off. Och well, sugar happens.

Jens

P.S. Harald's (Hahen) decals are brill, by the way.

Edited by Whisky Papa
22 hours ago, Hajo L. said:

To make things more complicated... It´s "Deutsche Marine" now. It was "Bundesmarine" (Federal Navy) when we had two german states, with the other one having a "Volksmarine" (Peoples Navy). When we re-united, there was no need anymore to distinguish between two different armed forces.

But since the Starfighter operated during the cold war, "Bundesmarine" is correct! 🙂

HAJO

Danke HAJO, perfectly clear now, thanks for the heads up.

Marc.

3 minutes ago, serendip said:

Danke HAJO, perfectly clear now, thanks for the heads up.

Marc.

I don't seem to be able to change the title of the topic - as soon as I figure out how I will change it to Bundesmarine.

19 hours ago, Whisky Papa said:

Since ve are Germans zere is a norm, of course:

Top RAL 7012 Basaltgrau

Belly RAL 9006 Weissaluminium

Inlet RAL 9005 Tiefschwarz

More info you'll find here, but according to the old Doncolor-files the colors mentioned above should be correct.

RAL ~ "Reichsausschuss für Lieferbedingungen“ (founded 23.04.1925), today it's called "RAL Deutsches Institut für Gütesicherung und
Kennzeichnung e.V."

Neither have I, but I only spent a year in 2./MFG2...

Saw a Kormoran sitting on the runway once, though, appearently came loose just before take off. Och well, sugar happens.

Jens

P.S. Harald's (Hahen) decals are brill, by the way.

Thanks Jens,

I'm from the Nethelands so am also more familiar than I'd like to be with norms and conventions and rules - but that's another story 🙂

Do me a favour, I'm trying to buy the RAL colours by MRP - I have the basalt grey 7012 but I think they do not do the 9006 weissaluminium - can you confirm? or suggest any alternatives? I'm thinking some semi-reflective Alclad.

I will continue to hunt down a picture of a TF with Kormoran's but I suspect as Dave says the TF was not wired for them.

Marc.

2 minutes ago, serendip said:

Thanks Jens,

I'm from the Nethelands so am also more familiar than I'd like to be with norms and conventions and rules - but that's another story 🙂

Do me a favour, I'm trying to buy the RAL colours by MRP - I have the basalt grey 7012 but I think they do not do the 9006 weissaluminium - can you confirm? or suggest any alternatives? I'm thinking some semi-reflective Alclad.

I will continue to hunt down a picture of a TF with Kormoran's but I suspect as Dave says the TF was not wired for them.

Marc.

Or MRP-09?

RAL 9006 by Hataka or Weinert.

17 hours ago, serendip said:

I don't seem to be able to change the title of the topic - as soon as I figure out how I will change it to Bundesmarine.

No need to change the topic, MFG is short for Marinefliegergeschwader. In my days (mid-70s) there were MFG 1, MFG 2, MFG 3 and MFG 5. MFG 1 + 2 were equipped with Starfighters (Fighter/Bomber, RF and TF), MFG 3 chasing subs with Breguet Atlantic and MFG 5 had Seakings and Do 28-D2.

Regarding the Kormoran issue you could ask some old codger in the MFG 2 facebook group: there should be someone there in the know.

🙂 Jens

Edited by Whisky Papa
17 hours ago, barkin mad said:

I guess you may have already decided but this says no, only for F-104G, have a read through......

https://www.military-today.com/missiles/kormoran.htm#:~:text=The AS.34 Kormoran can only be launched from,have been equipped to carry and launch it.

----------

Thanks BM.

Unless I misread that confirms the F only, not the TF(?)