F-104G Marineflieger

What do you mean? Fortunately german Starfighters never had to fight...

Another question: Are there any pictures of the tiptanks without dayglo orange? I mean, in wartime that wouldn´t make much sense to fly around with those flashy colors....

HAJO

Thanks a lot for the pictures!

As for the Kormorans: I just asked a friend of mine who is a former Marineflieger Tornado backseater. He shot some Kormoran 1s during an exercise in in Puerto Rico in 1997. He remembers them beeing overall white with a grey warhead.

HAJO

2 hours ago, Hajo L. said:

As for the Kormorans: I just asked a friend of mine who is a former Marineflieger Tornado backseater. He shot some Kormoran 1s during an exercise in in Puerto Rico in 1997. He remembers them beeing overall white with a grey warhead.

HAJO

2 hours ago, Hajo L. said:

HAJO

Hi all,

I'm confused - is Marineflieger OK or not?

Thanks all,

Marc.

The pic of 26+67 by Joop de Groot (1992) was taken well after the plane had been decommissioned in 1989 (explains the sorry state), the one by Mark an der Fliet even later. For its history look here.

For training purposes the pilots went out on two-ship missions: element Alpha carrying the Kormoran, making a bee line after deployment, element Bravo guiding the missile towards the target until it homed in, then taking to its heels.

I was allowed to try out element Bravos's task myself in the squadron's AS.34 simulator. Not without success, I might add 😁.

Jens

Edit: Another pic of a Kormoran being deployed ba a Starfighter.

Edited by Whisky Papa

@serendip: I've got some Open Office tables containing the planes employed by MFG 2. Lots of dead links, because they're internal to our forum, but the external ones should work. They lead to pics of "our" starfighters on the net (at least to those I found). You can contact me via PM or check flugzeugforum.de. Since one of the mods' nik there is TF-104G, you could place your question regarding Kormorans on TFs there as well (https://www.flugzeugforum.de/forums/vom-original-zum-modell.208/). We're even able to decipher messages encoded by google translate. On the other hand: those who served with naval air wings in Germany and had to deal with planes (or pilots) were (and are) usually capable of some basic English, at least (see me 😁).

Edited by Whisky Papa
5 hours ago, serendip said:

All,

Thanks so much for all the valuable information.

I'm also considering an aftermarket cockpit set - many mention late or early G sets - should I buy early or late.

Thanks,

Marc.

Personally, Quinta Studio 3d cockpit decals along with resin seat seems to be the best option to me

Report of a bail out:

"A very dense flock of geese brought the engine of "my" 104 to an end with banging and puffing. A few seconds later, the speed was so low that the only motto I could think of was: Let's get out now. Thought - done. A loud bang, a sharp draft, a few turns around, I don't know which axis, stabilization, slow, steady descent. Ah - it works. This realization is heart-warming in the truest sense. Above me the parachute bulging and round, breathing mask off, activate life jacket, down there burns black and red "my" plane, feet together, knees bend, look at the horizon and not down, the last part goes extremely fast when the ' going well. Rums, the earth has me back. As so often, the most important thing at the end: I would like to take this opportunity to thank the gentlemen who, through their conscientious and reliable work, have contributed to the fact that everything worked as it should and say: well done!" (Source: KptLt E. Hahn: Egmont 76/04+05, p. 11)

Edit: KaLeu Hahn was my immediate superior. What he didn't mention in his article in the wing's magazine, before climbing from 300 ft (where he met the geese) to 1500 ft he'd tried to restart the engine a couple of times in vain...

Edited by Whisky Papa
20 hours ago, serendip said:

Were those downward ejecting?

Only the F-104A and B with the C-1 seat were downward ejecting. The C-2 and MB seats were upward.

Cheers,

John

17 minutes ago, serendip said:

Thanks all,

And how about Dutch Air Force ca. 1965 - would that be C1, C2 or MB seats.

Thanks,

(Got my Kormorans)

Marc.

Ah well, according to wiki no Kormorans with the Dutch Air Force. Only Marineflieger and Marina Militare got them.

Edited by Whisky Papa
25 minutes ago, Whisky Papa said:

Ah well, according to wiki no Kormorans with the Dutch Air Force. Only Marineflieger and Marina Militare got them.

Thanks WP,

The Kormorans were a reference to the MarineFlieger G I'm also starting soon.

I wasn't clear.

Marc.

23 hours ago, serendip said:

Thanks all,

And how about Dutch Air Force ca. 1965 - would that be C1, C2 or MB seats.

Thanks,

(Got my Kormorans)

Marc.

Hi all,

Does anyone know which seats go in which jets? Is that C2 or MB7's for the MArineflieger F-104G's and Dutch Air Force TF-104G's

Thanks again!

Marc.

2 hours ago, serendip said:

Hi all,

Does anyone know which seats go in which jets? Is that C2 or MB7's for the MArineflieger F-104G's and Dutch Air Force TF-104G's

Thanks again!

Marc.

Depends on time period. Simplest way is find a picture of the aircraft you want to model and check what kind of seat is in it. Red seat headrest/box shaped seat top is a C2 seat, ejection handles on top is a MB GQ7 seat. AFAIK, KLu used only C2 seat, Germany changed to the MB GQ7 seat starting 1967. KLu TF104 pictures: https://www.thunderstreaks.com/klu-baf-aircraft/klu-lockheed-tf-104g/#prettyPhoto