New Paint Line - Replacement for KColor

Hi All,

I wanted to pass on some information to everyone.  I don't know how many of you have been aware of the paint brand KColor.  Matt from Doog's Models has used the KColor paints, the metalizers, from an Italian manufacturer, and raved about the paint quality.  For several years, I've been trying to find a distributer of this paint line, with no success.  A short time ago, one of our forum members, Gwen Phoenix, was kind enough to inform me that the KColor company was out of business, but a new Italian company, Kustom Service, has started up and is producing the same paint that used to be KColor.  I tried to place an order directly with Kustom Service, but it turns out that there was no option to ship paints to the US from their order page.  I contacted them, and got a very prompt response, and told me that they had a US distributor, out of New Mexico, gundamrepublik.com.  I contacted the owner, who let me know that as of today, 05/20/2022, he was going to have the Kustom Service paints on his site, and true to his word, they are there, and I've placed my first order for these paints.  I am thrilled to be able to get my hands on these paints, finally!!!  So, anyone who has been looking for KColor paints like me, you now have the ability to get them.  I have no interest in either of these companies, just passing along info that might be of use.

5 hours ago, goondman said:

Thanks for sharing Curt! I've wanted to try these out as well

You are most welcome, sir!  I'm so happy to FINALLY be able to get my hands on these paints.  I hope we love them as much as the buildup promises!!

The Doog's video is below.  If you're not used to Matt, he can get, well, let's say a little colorful with his language.  Some take offense to it, but I find it refreshing.  Anyway, he does  spectacular job with everything he does, building, painting, weathering.  This was his review of the KColor (and Gaianotes) paints from several years back.  This paint is what has been reborn with the new company.

15 hours ago, ElectroSoldier said:

Seems to be on a par with AK EM range.

Let us know how you get on with it.

I surely will!  Haven't gotten them yet...hopefully soon!  

...  I take it back...they came yesterday, I just didn't make it to my mailbox.  They look really cool.  Hopefully I'll get to try a few out in the next few days.  Standby...

Edited by Curt B
Update to the post info.

By the way, in the Doog's video, he uses Gunze Lacquer GX002 Gloss Black under the KColor metallic paints, which I happen to have.  In addition, just for completeness and to make sure I wouldn't end up with any weird interactions between paints, I got the Kustom Service KSW 100 Super Gloss Black to use under the Kustom Service metallics.  In Doog's video, though, it doesn't seem, to my eyes, anyway, that anything could possibly be more glossy than the black GX002.  At least I have several options to try.

• 1 month later...

Hi Curt,

Yes, so far Mr Colour GX2 Ueno Black is the glossiest base I ever came across to. It's quite impressive how good it goes over styrene.

On 5/24/2022 at 8:45 PM, Curt B said:

I surely will!  Haven't gotten them yet...hopefully soon!  

...  I take it back...they came yesterday, I just didn't make it to my mailbox.  They look really cool.  Hopefully I'll get to try a few out in the next few days.  Standby...

:gr_eek2: More than a whole month now since we've been standing by, mate. What's your take on the new Kustom Service metallics?

Cheers,

Gwen

On 6/29/2022 at 3:05 PM, Gwen Phoenix said:

Hi Curt,

Yes, so far Mr Colour GX2 Ueno Black is the glossiest base I ever came across to. It's quite impressive how good it goes over styrene.

:gr_eek2: More than a whole month now since we've been standing by, mate. What's your take on the new Kustom Service metallics?

Cheers,

Gwen

Gwen,

You are so right...and I absolutely owe you an answer regarding my observations on these 'new' 'reissue' paints.  I've been distracted with a number of other things, including a trip out of town, and the purchase of a new car, a 2022 Corvette.  However, these things are not a good excuse, though they are a reason.  I promise to have a report by the end of this weekend, by Tuesday at the latest, as Monday is a US holiday.  I really do want to check them out for my own benefit, as well as being able to let all of you know if these paints are the real deal!  Hang in there with me for a few more days!  Thanks for your patience, Gwen!

Curt

On 7/1/2022 at 1:12 AM, Curt B said:

I promise to have a report by the end of this weekend, by Tuesday at the latest, as Monday is a US holiday.

Ooooh, boy... :doh:

Look, Curt; you're kind of the fella appearing at 2:50, 3:00 and 3:43. :rofl:

Cheers,

Gwen

Hey Gwen....  I know I'm evil...and I over-promised.   Part of the problem is ventilation...being able to open doors to get the nasty and dangerous fumes out of the house.  Always hard to do here in southern Nevada in the summer.  Usually the coolest time of day, meaning the best time to paint is sometime just before sunrise, which is the coolest time of the day.  The daytime temps here are typically about 105 degrees F.  I know.....I'm terrible.  But I owe you...  I will set things up so I can take advantage of the rare event of being able to open doors for the time needed to do my paint experimentation...

Hi Curt,

I'm just pulling your leg; never mind and please take your time.

I wholly understand that you've got a life pf your own to live.

I wasn't able to get my paint owing to the silly restrictions impossed on importing goods in this bonkers' nation.

They did arrive in the country, but Customs forbade.

Cheers,

Gwen

On 7/6/2022 at 7:24 AM, Gwen Phoenix said:

Hi Curt,

I'm just pulling your leg; never mind and please take your time.

I wholly understand that you've got a life pf your own to live.

I wasn't able to get my paint owing to the silly restrictions impossed on importing goods in this bonkers' nation.

They did arrive in the country, but Customs forbade.

Cheers,

Gwen

Sorry to hear that you can't actually get the paints, Gwen.  Is this customs problem you mention only temporary, or does this mean you won't ever be able to buy those paints in your country?  I hope it's short term only!

I just posted a new thread, asking about the new Tamiya P-38J, and whether anyone has gotten one yet.  I truly am planning to work on one of them as soon as the 2  that I have one pre-order show up, and I am going to do the 2 I have coming, and possibly getting a third, and all of them are going to be in natural metal, so that will be a PERFECT opportunity to test these new paints.  I'm so looking forward to this!  

On 7/13/2022 at 7:09 PM, Curt B said:

Is this customs problem you mention only temporary, or does this mean you won't ever be able to buy those paints in your country?  

Hi Curt,

Oh, guess I'll be able to import those paints again not until December the 10th, 2023 - that's when the current government goes out. :rolleyes:

That Mrs Kirchner gorgon-crook (and her puppet president), is playing havoc with the economy in this country. Situation worsens with each passing day.

Cheers,

Gwen