GWH 1/144 B-52G Remarks & Questions

I recently received my GWH 1/144 B-52G kit L1009 that I ordered back in January from Hobby Link Japan.  Of course, I went with the cheapest shipping option and paid for it by waiting 4 months for delivery.  Anyway, my most recent purchases from HLJ have arrived much faster, so no fault with them.  Chalk it up to west coast port COVID disruptions. 

I must say that I was very impressed with the kit upon opening the box.  You get a lot of plastic for your money!  This is a straight wing B-52G, no SALT II Treaty strakelets are included, despite one scheme for such a modified aircraft (Option B).  Apart from the main fuselage, wing, stabs, wheels, bomb bay matching the H release, you get a a complete upper and lower cockpit, really nicely done J-57PW-43 engines, a quad .50 cal tail turret, a rotary CSRL with ALCMs for the bomb bay, ALCM wing pylons with six missiles each, two HSABs with three different weapons loadout options. I will say here that two weapons sprues from a Tornado kit are included with Harpoons, Penguins, Mavericks, and various dumb bombs.  The Penguins and Mavericks are blanked out in the overall parts layout, though.  All good additions for the spares box. 

Now to the markings.  See graphic below and my comments following.

001.thumb.JPG.8d7601e4608450d03b23ac16ce93ffeb.JPG

Option A - B-52G 58-0195 "Eternal Guardian" (42nd BW) asgd to 1708th BW(P), Jeddah, KSA during Operation Desert Storm, 1991

I have waited long for LORING markings, and these fit the bill, though another airframe with different nose art would also be appreciated, or perhaps the older SAC SIOP scheme markings.  Anyway, I question the strategic camo on the Loring bird.  According to Jakub's Desert Storm website on B-52 markings, 58-0195 was all gray and assigned to the 801st BW(P) at Moron AB, Spain, but transferred to the 1708th (Jedda) on 17 Jan 91, before passing to the 4300th BW(P) at Diego Garcia also on 17 Jan 91. (Wiki Provisional Bomb Wing webpage says 42nd BW Gs deployed to Riyadh, King Kahlid AB, Jeddah, and Diego Garcia, but not Moron.)  His photo links clearly show a solid dark gray color (note: either Gunship Gray FS36118 or Dark Gunship Gray FS36081).  So is GWH or Jakub correct about the wing/base assignment during DS?  I opt for Jakub for the color scheme and GWH with the wing and base.  [Note: See comment by Quixote74 below about the color scheme for 58-0195. He posts a link dated Jul 1989 clearly showing the Strategic scheme. However, Gator52 points out that -0195 went through depot maintenance in summer 1989 and received 36081 at that time. Also he posts a photo taken at Jeddah during the war, clearly showing the FS36081, but with grey Maine outline.  So I stand corrected and will now state that the color scheme and basing for Option A should be overall FS36081 and based at Jeddah for the Gulf War.  The GWH depicts -0195 sometime between 1984 & the summer of 1989.]

Option B - B-52G 58-0183 "Valkyrie" (2nd BW) Operation SECRET SQUIRREL during Operation Desert Storm, 1991

As I understand it, these missions were flown from and returned to Barksdale AFB. The markings appear accurate, as well as the paint scheme, however, this was a strakelet aircraft, so you would need to somehow add these on or transfer the markings to the Revell B-52G kit (#4583) along with a set of ALCMs from the Revell B-52H kit (#4584).

Option C - B-52G 57-6473 "Hard t'Get" (2nd BW) asgd to 4300th BW(P), Diego Garcia, BIOT, 1991

This aircraft appears as all gray (FS36118 or 36081) with 2nd BW markings. Jakub's website has two photos and one line drawing. He lists it as ex-93rd BW (Castle AFB) where in fact it was retired from two years later in 1993, so that makes sense. One of the photos appears to show the 93rd BW badge on the nose as well as the Castle motif on the upper tail.  What is unclear form the photo is the color scheme. It may be the Srategic scheme, just can't tell.  On the other hand, the line drawing from Mark Styling's page shows 57-6473 with 2nd BW markings and stationed with the 4300th BW(P) at Diego Garcia, BIOT in January, 1991.  I am inclined to go with Jakub and the 93rd BW marking on this one, which will have to be found elsewhere in 1/144 scale. I am still undecided about the color scheme.  This aircraft does not have the strakelets. 

I did purchase a kabuki tape window & wheel mask from Res-Kit, which arrived about three and a half months before the kit!  I am looking forward to building this kit, just holding out for SAC SIOP marking for either Blytheville AFB (Miss Piggy) or Loring AFB (Pterodactyl Courier) from Caracal in 1/144 scale.  That's my comments for now.

Kind regards,

Dutch

Edited by Dutch
additional remarks
On 5/21/2022 at 5:31 PM, Dutch said:

Now to the markings.  See graphic below and my comments following.

001.thumb.JPG.8d7601e4608450d03b23ac16ce93ffeb.JPG

Option A - B-52G 58-0195 "Eternal Guardian" (42nd BW) asgd to 1708th BW(P), Jeddah, KSA during Operation Desert Storm, 1991

I have waited long for LORING markings, and these fit the bill, though another airframe with different nose art would also be appreciated, or perhaps the older SAC SIOP scheme markings.  Anyway, I question the strategic camo on the Loring bird.  According to Jakub's Desert Storm website on B-52 markings, 58-0195 was all gray and assigned to the 801st BW(P) at Moron AB, Spain, but transferred to the 1708th (Jedda) on 17 Jan 91, before passing to the 4300th BW(P) at Diego Garcia also on 17 Jan 91. (Wiki Provisional Bomb Wing webpage says 42nd BW Gs deployed to Riyadh, King Kahlid AB, Jeddah, and Diego Garcia, but not Moron.)  His photo links clearly show a solid dark gray color (note: either Gunship Gray FS36118 or Dark Gunship Gray FS36081).  So is GWH or Jakub correct about the wing/base assignment during DS?  I opt for Jakub for the color scheme and GWH with the wing and base.

As great as Jakub's site is as a reference source, unfortunately he doesn't clarify dates of the photos and in many cases they actually show the airframes in question well after Desert Storm (the "LZ" tailcodes, and obviously the boneyard shots of Eternal Guardian being prime examples).  In 1991 she wore the 3-color "Strategic" scheme, as seen clearly here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/22790934@N07/49386130338

Because the upper green (34086) and gray (36081) faded to very similar shades, and there is relatively little green area in the scheme on the port forward fuselage, many close-ups of the nose art make it hard to distinguish the Strategic and monochromatic 36081 schemes (poor print reproduction and/or strange lighting also compound the problem).

I do believe some 3-tone G's received a repaint in overall 36081 after Desert Storm, retaining nose art and/or mission marks - Guardian may be one, but this was definitely after returning stateside.

Also, I believe the only Gs to wear the "ACC" scheme of overall 36118 were the ones assigned to the 366th Composite Wing at Mountain Home.  The only other units still flying the G wore either overall 36081 or were still in the Strategic 3-tone scheme when retired.

Dutch, nice review of this kit.  Will need to get one.  I am currently building a G in the SIOP scheme cross kitting the Revell H and G kits, and back dating.   Dutch would you know if any 3D printed X-15 launch pylon in 1/144 for my next B-52 project? 

On 5/23/2022 at 12:26 AM, Quixote74 said:

As great as Jakub's site is as a reference source, unfortunately he doesn't clarify dates of the photos and in many cases they actually show the airframes in question well after Desert Storm (the "LZ" tailcodes, and obviously the boneyard shots of Eternal Guardian being prime examples).  In 1991 she wore the 3-color "Strategic" scheme, as seen clearly here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/22790934@N07/49386130338

Because the upper green (34086) and gray (36081) faded to very similar shades, and there is relatively little green area in the scheme on the port forward fuselage, many close-ups of the nose art make it hard to distinguish the Strategic and monochromatic 36081 schemes (poor print reproduction and/or strange lighting also compound the problem).

I do believe some 3-tone G's received a repaint in overall 36081 after Desert Storm, retaining nose art and/or mission marks - Guardian may be one, but this was definitely after returning stateside.

Also, I believe the only Gs to wear the "ACC" scheme of overall 36118 were the ones assigned to the 366th Composite Wing at Mountain Home.  The only other units still flying the G wore either overall 36081 or were still in the Strategic 3-tone scheme when retired.

@Quixote74

Thank you for the photo link and the comments.  Appreciate the correction on the paint scheme for 58-0195 "Eternal Guardian."  Several G's received the overall FS36081 paint at various units prior to retirement in 1993-94 timeframe.  Even the 34th BS, 366th WG only had two of 7 airframes painted in overall 36081 by retirement in 1994.  Dated photo evidence is the best research tool available, so I appreciate your addition to help solve the puzzle. 

Kind regards,

Dutch 

Edited by Dutch

A disappointment of the kit is that you don’t get enough Harpoons or M117s for a full load on the HSABs.  A full load of M117s is 9 on each side, and you only get enough for 6 on a side, and a full load of Harpoons is 6 on a side, and you only get enough for 4 on a side.

28 minutes ago, Dave Williams said:

A disappointment of the kit is that you don’t get enough Harpoons or M117s for a full load on the HSABs.  A full load of M117s is 9 on each side, and you only get enough for 6 on a side, and a full load of Harpoons is 6 on a side, and you only get enough for 4 on a side.

@Dave Williams  Yes, I forgot to mention that, but you are right!  The Revel B-52G to the rescue with Harpoons.  I recently purchased a pair each of Platz 1/144 Weapon set AW-1 & AW-3 from Hobby Link Japan.  AW-1 includes (5) Mk.117s, a dozen Mk. 81s & Mk.82s and various other bombs and air-to-air/ground missiles. AW-3 includes 2 each Mk.57 & Mk.61 freefall nukes among various other air-to-air/ground bombs/missiles, aerial mines, pods & pylons (F-16?).  

1 hour ago, aircal62 said:

Dutch, nice review of this kit.  Will need to get one.  I am currently building a G in the SIOP scheme cross kitting the Revell H and G kits, and back dating.   Dutch would you know if any 3D printed X-15 launch pylon in 1/144 for my next B-52 project? 

@aircal62

I have worked with a few 3D printer designers on Shapeways.com.  I did a quick search for "1:144 b-52 x-15" and came up with a set of three X-15s with pylons, but in 1/300 scale.  (Upon closer inspection, the pylon appears to be inaccurate.)  I have asked designers to rescale items for me and they have generally complied, with a few exceptions. So, message the designer and see if he is willing to rescale the set to 1:144 scale, with the possibility of doing each X-15 model (X-15, X-15A2, X-15Delta) separately in the larger scale to make it more cost effective for the purchaser.  Of note, the Shapeways search engine is bad.  Despite putting in more precise search terms, it only delivers more options that have nothing to do with your search request. Maybe just try "X-15" and see what pops up.  or add "1:72" and see if the designer offers a 1:144 scale example as well or will scale it down to 1:144.  

One designer I work with routinely is click2detail, who may be willing to create an X-15 pylon in 1:72, 1:144, & 1:200 scales for available B-52 kits.  I haven't asked him yet, tough I too plan a 1:144 NB-52A/B using the old Otaki molded B-52H with Contrails NB-52B mods and Cutting Edge decals.  I am not even close to starting it, so I guess I was either going to scratch a pylon or kick the can down the road until one becomes available from 3D printers.

HTH,

Dutch

58-0195: I checked with a friend who is a B-52 expert; his notes indicate she went through depot maintenance in summer 1989 and received 36081 at that time.  This photo was taken at Jeddah during the war, so perhaps the RIAT photo on Flickr was erroneously dated?

T-58-0195-OEJN-resized.jpg

Of note, the 36081 jets had the Loring tail markings painted in light gray, vice the blue used on the strat-camo jets (and therefore on GWH's decal).  Also of note is that the photos on Jakub's site show the mission markings in two different locations on the fuselage, so there was evidently some touchup painting done between Jeddah and Davis-Monthan.

57-6473: transferred from Barksdale to Castle in June 1990.  Looks to be in overall 36081 here:

57-6473-2nd-BMW-Tail.jpg

Harpoon: The drawings & tables in Logan's ACC Bomber Triad book show 4 missiles per side as the authorized load; three on the front stations and one on the aft center station.  

36118 G-models: In addition to a couple with the 366 WG, Barksdale had at least one (57-6490) as well as the 93d at Castle (58-0163, 58-0240 & 59-2588)

Chris

Hey Chris! Thanks for the photos and notes with the detailed information about airframes, units, paints, dates, and locations. I will still build 58-0195, just in Strategic scheme from Loring in early 1989 with Harpoons!

I may do the same Dutch.

For Loring, the blue vs gray tail markings based on paint scheme was not absolute, I did find a photo of a strat-camo jet with the gray Loring markings (58-0255).  Overall though, it seems that the blue was used on strat camo and the lighter gray on the FS 36081 jets.

Chris

Hi gents, great thread, again !
Regarding that 58-0195:

From downloaded xls file (and updated by me with nose art and other important info), I have this info:

the plane had PDM input on 26-XI-84 and output on 6-IV-85 with Strategic camo, and next scheduled PDM was on IV-89
the plane had PDM input on 10-IV-89 and output on 7-XI-89 with "wraparound camo" which was in that time FS 36081 Gunship Dark Grey

Yes, I have various pics on my site with various variations of nose art, it is really not so easy to tell which version was when sometimes.