Decal Designer and Printing

I'm not sure if the subject has been discussed somewhere before but I'm curious if anyone has used a designer to build and print a decal sheet? There are a few sets I would like to get but an example would be:

I'm trying to build a A-6 Intruder with the markings of the squadron I was stationed with in Iwakuni, Japan in 1976. AOAdecals was designing a 1/32 set for VMA(AW)-332 Moonlighters sheet and it was perfect but they didn't follow through with printing the set.

I contacted AOA and they didn't really want to share the artwork. I can't really afford a printer that prints white.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

COVER-32036.thumb.jpg.4354a263ac54ed0ba1be52828627c717.jpg

Edited by WarLycan
spelling

I took on Dave's assignment. He needed a small set of markings, since all the other decals are included in the kit:

a. BuNo (large) on vertical tail, white (2)
b. BuNo (small) plus a/c type on rear fuselage, black (2)
c. Modex numbers, black and white (2 each)
d. Unit text on fuselage 'VMA(AW)-332 MOONLIGHTERS' (2)
e. Unit tail markings: EA plus quarter moon (2)

Shown below is the first set I drew, using photos that Dave provided. I also used information from MIL-STD-2161C, that lists the prescribed sizes of the various markings, like 12" for the large BuNo and 30" for the unit letters.

vma-332-04.jpg

I made a proof sheet, that Dave printed and tested on the model.

vma-332-05.jpg

But then I realized we had made a mistake. Dave wanted to build a hi-viz era aircraft, but I had picked BuNo 161681 to replicate, since most photos showed that aircraft. But upon closer inspection, BuNo 1616181 was a low-viz aircraft, with a hi-viz tail. I went looking for another BuNo, preferably with a 509 or 09 Modex, and found this photo.

vma-332-08.jpg

The set was revised one more time, with new BuNo and Modex, leading to the sheet shown here. Dave now wanted a double set, so all markings were doubled. I used the template that SpotModel provided for their printing service. The template uses purple to represent the decal film that is printed around each individual decal.

vma-332-07.jpg

This project was done in one evening, with a total of two and a half hours spent on artwork and communication. It required some twenty back-and-forth e-mails to sort everything out. Communication is not to be underestimated in the time/cost calculation.

Outsourced printing is next, but that will take a few weeks.

Rob

Edited by Rob de Bie