1/48 Revell F/A-18E Super Hornet

This next build is the Revell 1/48 F/A-18E Super Hornet. For this build I will be using the Eduard cockpit detail set, a QuickBoost resin ejection seat, and Ares resin exhaust. The scheme I have chosen to do is VFA-37. The decal set is from Furball Decals for CVW-8 in 2017. The squadron was actually flying F/A-18C’s at the time and transitioned to the F/A-18E in 2018. However since I served with VA-37 (with A-7E’s) in the 1980’s and the squadron designation changed to VFA-37 when they went to the F/A-18’s, I am using the 2017 scheme on this Super Hornet to honor my squadron.

Starting off with the cockpit I detailed the instrument panel with the Eduard photo etch panels. The cockpit tub was also detailed using the photo etch. I then detailed the resin ejection seat which is a lot more accurate in size than the kit version. With the cockpit completed I turned to the fuselage. One if the negative parts of this kit is Revell marked the copyright stamp under the wing. Using a hobby knife and some sandpaper the marking is gone.  I then prepared the intakes by filling the ejector marks with putty and filling the gap on the intake leading edge. I sprayed the wheel wells in white and then detail painted the cables and hydraulic lines that were molded into the bays. I dry fit the intakes to the fuselage and found the fit is poor. The intakes are going to require some shaping and putty to get them to fit correctly.

Check out all the photos and details from start to finish in my build log at https://davidsscalemodels.com/build-log/1-48-f-a-18e-super-hornet-from-vfa-37/

dscn7265.jpg

dscn7268.jpg

dscn7269.jpg

dscn7276.jpg

dscn7283.jpg

dscn7284.jpg

dscn7286.jpg

dscn7290.jpg

dscn7293.jpg