This is my first time doing a jet/plane… i want to do an a7e but I’m definitely using the SEA camo scheme cause i think it looks cool. this kit came with a lot of extras when i got it off eBay awhile back and i could definitely use some help!

8228EC13-BF57-40B8-A2F5-2E1CF52CB642.jpeg

87BE350A-536C-406E-9AEE-FA3BC248C298.jpeg

Sorry just one thing to start, you want to build an E, but want to paint it in SEA camouflage? My understanding is that will need to build an A-7D (the correct parts should be in the box) as the A-7E was never in the SEA scheme. Main differences are the landing gear, refueling bump and folding wings.

I just finished building this kit myself. I will speak to the kit itself, and not the extra's as I have no experience with those. It's a nice kit, for the majority it fits well, is accurate and goes together relatively easy. There is one thing however to watch out for, the fit of the wings is not good in two places.

1: Where the outer parts of the wing join to the main spar is not good. The kit is designed to have the outer wings folded, something the A-7E didn't really do. Care needs to be taken when joining the wings in the "down position" and despite following an online tutorial I still ended up with a step and lots of filler. If I build the kit again I would try joining the top outer wing to the top inner wing (rather than following the instructions) then the bottom outer wing to the bottom inner wing before joining it all together.

2: Where the main wing joins the fuselage, the fit is not good as the wing does not follow the same contour/shape as the fuselage and will require filling and sanding. I tried to reshape the wing area before joining the wing, but then had trouble actually gluing the wing to the fuselage as the area of contact between the two was rather small. As a further complication, care needs to be taken to glue the wings level or it will thrown the whole look of the plane off.

1 - the USN A-7E (and A, B) frequently folded the wings when onboard a carrier. That’s specifically why they were designed to fold. 

2 - while USN Es didn’t wear SEA camo, the HAF painted their Es (and Hs) in a camo similar to SEA (taking a cue from OP’s username) just need the HAF decals

3 - OP is new to forum so check which subforum you are posting in

Edited by habu2

Thanks for the replies! In what forum should i post this? And you guys are right about the E’s not being painted in the SEA.  I didn’t do any research before getting this kit so my plan is to build this as close as possible as an a7E including the cockpit, but just finish it in the SEA scheme. This is kind of a practice run. I would have done the Hellenic version but they dont have the awesome shark mouth! Here is what i have finished tonight so far with everything painted in the base color