Salt metal chipping question

I just tried creating some salt wear on my Tamiya spitfire, specifically I wanted to create metal wear areas around the wing root. I used Mr Colour Silver, added salt then painted the camo. Afterwards I weathered with thinned black and thinned grey through the airbrush.

Everything went fine until I flat coated the aircraft at which time the metal color faded from a bright metal to a faded grey, which doesn't have the same effect. I was quite happy with the effect until I added the final flat coat, now it doesn't seem worth the effort

How does one keep the metal areas looking shiny while keeping the rest of the aircraft flat in sheen?

Dont overcoat the metal areas with a matt coat, lightly mask off the areas of metal then spray over the other areas with the matt coat.
The hardest part is masking up the metal so it stops the matt coat touching the metal but not sticking down so much to the metal so it pulls it off.

2 hours ago, ElectroSoldier said:

Dont overcoat the metal areas with a matt coat, lightly mask off the areas of metal then spray over the other areas with the matt coat.
The hardest part is masking up the metal so it stops the matt coat touching the metal but not sticking down so much to the metal so it pulls it off.

Thanks. Would a liquid mask work well?

6 hours ago, Alternative 4 said:

Thanks. Would a liquid mask work well?

Ive not had much luck with liquid masks for that job. Ive tried Abteilung, Humbrol and Vallejo but there were problems of either lifting the paint or leaving some kind of distortion behind.

I use "flash tape"

This link is provided as an example only to show you what i use looks like.

Flash Tape | Clean Release | Fibre Glast

You have to touch it to take most all of its tackyness out. The flat edges are good for following panel lines. but removing the tack is a tricky business by itself. I know most people use Tamiya masking tape, I dont see any reason why that wouldnt work too, flash tape is just what I use because I use it for other stuff too like "free masking"

3 hours ago, ElectroSoldier said:

Ive not had much luck with liquid masks for that job. Ive tried Abteilung, Humbrol and Vallejo but there were problems of either lifting the paint or leaving some kind of distortion behind.

I use "flash tape"

This link is provided as an example only to show you what i use looks like.

Flash Tape | Clean Release | Fibre Glast

You have to touch it to take most all of its tackyness out. The flat edges are good for following panel lines. but removing the tack is a tricky business by itself. I know most people use Tamiya masking tape, I dont see any reason why that wouldnt work too, flash tape is just what I use because I use it for other stuff too like "free masking"

Thanks for the response, that tape does indeed look "flash". I will try Tamiya tape, since I have a ready supply.

• 2 months later...
On 5/30/2022 at 10:52 AM, Alternative 4 said:

I just tried creating some salt wear on my Tamiya spitfire, specifically I wanted to create metal wear areas around the wing root. ...

How does one keep the metal areas looking shiny while keeping the rest of the aircraft flat in sheen?

Don't know if this helps but I like this modeler's technique ( from 17:08 onwards). He used chipping fluid.  You can see how he created the metal wear effects from 21:05 onwards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hJ2hI3YIXM

16 hours ago, JackMan said:

Don't know if this helps but I like this modeler's technique ( from 17:08 onwards). He used chipping fluid.  You can see how he created the metal wear effects from 21:05 onwards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hJ2hI3YIXM

Thanks, I will bookmark that for later.