New tool F-16AM MLU in 1:48 announced by Kinetic

2 hours ago, Raymond Chung said:

Do you expect that we will have different intake for A and C on NSI for the different panel line ? 

You are missing my point, Raymond. If you knew there are differences in panels, why didn't you just indicate these in the instructions? You did with more obvious things like, for example, the removal of beercans from the LEFs on MLU birds. 

And secondly; there is no such thing as A or C NSI. Talking F-16A/B alone: there are differences between the intakes of Block 10 A/B, Block 15 OCU A/B and MLU AM/BM. Comms panel, EPU pin location, EPU fired indicator, access panel left hand side with ENG NO GO indicator etc etc. You would need to mould many different air intakes which is complete nonsense because the differences are small.  But they are there and therefor noticable.

13 hours ago, falcon91352 said:

@pollie: Can you post some detail photos to show the differences?

Sure. Here are just a few differences, focusing on the area around the intake that are different between either the country, version or differ from the Kinetic kit. The more I look at sprue shots, the more things I notice. 

180426-F-OT290-0224.jpg

belgian-intake2.JPG

F-16C-agressor-12.jpg

NL-BE-intakes.jpg

I hope this helps you guys build an even more accurate F-16AM!

Edited by pollie
4 minutes ago, pollie said:

Sure. Here are just a few differences, focusing on the area around the intake that are different between either the country, version or differ from the Kinetic kit. The more I look at sprue shots, the more things I notice. 

180426-F-OT290-0224.jpg

belgian-intake2.JPG

F-16C-agressor-12.jpg

NL-BE-intakes.jpg

Thanks for information

do you mean we should include this in the manual ? 

2 minutes ago, Raymond Chung said:

Thanks for information

do you mean we should include this in the manual ? 

Yes, a good description of the specifics of the jets you provide decals for would allow everybody to build the most accurate representation of that particular jet. If modellers choose to follow those guidelines is up to each individual, but as manufacturer of kits you would build a reputation for being attentive to detail.

2 hours ago, pollie said:

180426-F-OT290-0224.jpg

belgian-intake2.JPG

F-16C-agressor-12.jpg

NL-BE-intakes.jpg

I hope this helps you guys build an even more accurate F-16AM!

:worship:

2 hours ago, pollie said:

Yes, a good description of the specifics of the jets you provide decals for would allow everybody to build the most accurate representation of that particular jet. If modellers choose to follow those guidelines is up to each individual, but as manufacturer of kits you would build a reputation for being attentive to detail.

:thumbsup:

Good info pollie - thanks for that.  I don't think modellers mind filling in panel lines to build the version they want - that's a lot easier than scribing them, especially panels with complicated shapes and a bit of small detail like fasteners.

15 hours ago, pollie said:

F-16C-agressor-12.jpg

The scoop under the gun muzzle was specific to Block 30/32 F-16C that were meant to have ASPJ installed, it was not present on other blocks or on 30/32 D models.  Most jets now have the scoop removed and covered with a block off plate but the other scoop/vents remain.  Other ASPJ specific lumps/bumps include an exhaust vent below the stbd canopy rail, a small scoop on the leading edge of the vertical stab dorsal base, and small exhaust vents on each side of the dorsal base.  These dorsal base scoop/vents also appear on Block 40/42/50/52 C models.

edit: this photo is of a USAF Block 32 F-16C.

Edited by habu2

Surely if you are so hell bent on details and building the most accurate model, then the onus is on the builder to research the aircraft they so wish to model and build accordingly. Expecting the manufacturers to do this and then provide all the parts is only going to drive up the price of the kit. 

10 hours ago, pollie said:

belgian-intake2.JPG

The DACO reinforcement sheet is the only one that I've seen that addresses these doublers https://www.dacoproducts.com/KAst22.php  Most only deal with the reinforcements on the spine and wing.

Regarding the the small reinforcement under the canopy hinge.  It looks like sometime around '85 the structure was changed making it unnecessary on later planes. I haven't found a precise cut off.  This wasn't limited to only European operators. This is a link to a flight line photo of Block 10s from Desert Storm ('91) https://www.dstorm.eu/pictures/nose-arts/f-16/usa/79-0406_4.jpg  You can see the reinforcement on the first several and I've seen it on many of the older USAF planes transferred to foreign air forces.

4 minutes ago, Dave Roof said:

I just received both the F-16A MLU and the F-16C. Other than decals and instructions, they're the exact same kits. Bit of a head scratcher as to why the MLU retails for more than the C boxing. 

The C pricing is special for USA market in 2022 for introductory pricing. 

it will be increased later on 

4 hours ago, Dave Roof said:

I just received both the F-16A MLU and the F-16C. Other than decals and instructions, they're the exact same kits. Bit of a head scratcher as to why the MLU retails for more than the C boxing. 

I just checked the luckymodel website and both kits are the same price ($39.99 USD) - what am I missing?

2 hours ago, habu2 said:

I just checked the luckymodel website and both kits are the same price ($39.99 USD) - what am I missing?

Hannants (and others) sold both kits for £50 at Scale Modelworld in November, but now Hannants are charging £71 for the MLU kit (the C is not in stock as far as I can see).  The Dutch F-104G is still £40 at Hannants, yet they both sell for $40 in lucky model.  Why the difference?  IMO that is far too much for that kit...

3 hours ago, jenshb said:

Hannants (and others) sold both kits for £50 at Scale Modelworld in November, but now Hannants are charging £71 for the MLU kit (the C is not in stock as far as I can see).  The Dutch F-104G is still £40 at Hannants, yet they both sell for $40 in lucky model.  Why the difference?  IMO that is far too much for that kit...

The kit basically charged for USD 69 or 69 p (with VAT) 

but 48102 has a special price for US market for initial offering. But it will be adjusted back to 69 soon, pickup the special price as you can for US client. 

for luckymodel if you factor the shipping cost by air it will similar or even higher than those regional price. 

2 hours ago, Raymond Chung said:

The kit basically charged for USD 69 or 69 p (with VAT) 

but 48102 has a special price for US market for initial offering. But it will be adjusted back to 69 soon, pickup the special price as you can for US client. 

for luckymodel if you factor the shipping cost by air it will similar or even higher than those regional price. 

Well, for that price I expect the strengthening plates at least to be included in the kit, and also the PIDS pylons...  Others may have different opinions though.

On 12/9/2022 at 9:30 AM, pollie said:

You are missing my point, Raymond. If you knew there are differences in panels, why didn't you just indicate these in the instructions?

There isn't a single kit of the A-10 where the instructions point out variant differences. There isn't a single kit of the F/A-18 where the instructions point out the variant differences. The Tamiya F-16 kits don't have much of this information in their instructions. Most F-14 kits don't either, and the list goes on and on. 

Why should Kinetic be expected to provide this information? If you and others know all of the differences, then make the changes based on your knowledge and references.

One thing many here seem to forget is the fact the modelers that care about such details make up a very, very, very small percentage of the modeling community as a whole.

3 minutes ago, Dave Roof said:

The Tamiya F-16 kits don't have much of this information in their instructions. 

Well, I'd argue Tamiya does a fairly decent job on their F-16s considering they do address block differences in the instructions for the markings in each of their kit. Tamiya's kit represents a Block 50 C model out of the box.  Tamiya doesn't have a chart based on Block number but they do tell you based on each marking which vents to add/remove or panel lines to putty and which structural reinforcements should be present.

The only obvious error I see digging into Tamiya's instructions is the Block 25/32 should have the nose gear door landing lights on a couple of the marking options and trim them off the landing gear and the "extra" chaff/flare locations only use blanking plates on the Block 25 without a note to putty them over. 

I also spent a little time researching the reinforcement under the canopy hinge.  From what I've been able to find this was installed on USAF planes up to Block 25 F-16C 84-1222 before Desert Storm, but I haven't seen it on later jets.