New tool F-16AM MLU in 1:48 announced by Kinetic

2 minutes ago, DarkKnight said:

I think what some see as a missing feature, I see as a godsend, I can't imagine the pain in the rear to scrape off unneeded strengthening plates. I suggest you buy or make your own plates and chill, no plates molded on is a great feature! this is modeling, not shake the box and a finished kit pops out, do more modeling less whining 

I agree, just like trying to build a Tamiya 1/32 F-4E with unwanted battle damage repairs on it!

51 minutes ago, DarkKnight said:

I think what some see as a missing feature, I see as a godsend, I can't imagine the pain in the rear to scrape off unneeded strengthening plates. I suggest you buy or make your own plates and chill, no plates molded on is a great feature! this is modeling, not shake the box and a finished kit pops out, do more modeling less whining 

Not a single person in this thread has stated or implied they should have been molded onto the kit. All that has been said is that it would have been nice to have them included in the box, either via PE or vinyl. Similar to the PE tail stiffening plates included in their F/A-18 kits. No one needs to chill, and no one is 'whining'.  

Yesterday, I visited a friend close to Spangdahlem AB who already has the new Kinetic F-16AM. After inspection,  this is a must have item for me! Kinetic obviously did an excellent job on it!  

We did a side by side comparison of the Kinetic and Tamiya F-16 kits and my impression is, that the Kinetic one is by no way inferior in tooling quality. The finesse of the panel lines is on par with Tamiya, yet in some areas even better! What I never understood is, why Tamiya delivers plug-in plastic parts for two service hatches on the right rear fuselage, rather than the usual representation with finely engraved panel lines. However, both are excellent kits. Kinetic has a better cockpit, more detail in the wheel bays and options for underwing stores.  Tamiya scores with a better engine exhaust and wheels, but those are replaced by aftermarket ones with many modellers.

The quality of the decals of the Kinetic F-16AM are not on par with the excellent ones in many kits from this producer. The Danish and Norwegian national insignia are noticeably wrong, as the style of the Belgian serial number. However, aftermarket solutions are well presented.

On the minus side, the option of strenghening plates for a F-16AM kit would be mandatory into the box. I have one kit with my LHS on order and probably will build it as an early F-16A Block 15 anyway, as all essential options for an early F-16A seem to be offered in the kit.

I am really looking forward to my ordered example and what´s Kinetic will be doing in the future with other F-16 versions and options. My top wishes are strenghening plates for the F-16AM and upgraded -C versions, a tinted canopy and a couple of two seaters of course!

Nicely done, Raymond and keep doing excellent stuff! 

Edited by falcon91352
18 hours ago, Niels said:

This whole discussion has gone completely out of proportions ... .

The views/opinions of the few uber-experts here are  ... just that. But their technical expertise, I think,  has to be admired and applauded,

The person who I think deserves the most applause, however, is Raymond. He's developed a great new kit of a challenging subject (in light of all the various models, blocks, modifications, as well as country specific features, support equipment, and armament).  He has graciously addressed the criticism as well as the praise ... and he is obviously receptive to the suggestions offered in this thread. I don't see other manufacturers participate with us like he does, especially at his level. 

Gene K

3 hours ago, GeneK said:

The views/opinions of the few uber-experts here are  ... just that. But their technical expertise, I think,  has to be admired and applauded,

The person who I think deserves the most applause, however, is Raymond. He's developed a great new kit of a challenging subject (in light of all the various models, blocks, modifications, as well as country specific features, support equipment, and armament).  He has graciously addressed the criticism as well as the praise ... and he is obviously receptive to the suggestions offered in this thread. I don't see other manufacturers participate with us like he does, especially at his level. 

Gene K

WORD!

19 hours ago, Stephen said:

From what's in the box, bearing in mind that the plastic in both is identical and that some options will require strengthening plates the subject of which has been frankly flogged to death here you can build the following;

F-16A Block 15

F-16A Block 20 Taiwan. 

F-16AM MLU. 

For an F-16ADF there are bulges tail parts but you would need to replace the IFF parts, the AIM-7 Sparrow pylons are included in the Kinetic F/A-18C.

F-16C Block 25

F-16C Block 32

F-16C Block 42

F-16C Block 52

There are tail extension parts and fairings included which mean that export versions are a possibility.  

For the Block 15, are there MLG mounted landing lights buried in the sprues somewhere?  I wasn't able to identify them from the available sprue shots online.

18 minutes ago, sigtau said:

For the Block 15, are there MLG mounted landing lights buried in the sprues somewhere?  I wasn't able to identify them from the available sprue shots online.

Yes, G18.  They are not mentioned in the "MLU" instructions, only mentioned in the "C" instructions.

17 hours ago, GeneK said:

Gene K

Well put Gene.

On 12/18/2022 at 12:51 AM, Dave Roof said:

Not a single person in this thread has stated or implied they should have been molded onto the kit. All that has been said is that it would have been nice to have them included in the box, either via PE or vinyl. Similar to the PE tail stiffening plates included in their F/A-18 kits. No one needs to chill, and no one is 'whining'.  

hear, hear!!👍

Amen! Raymond has done an incredible job with his team. The line of new F-16's is welcomed by many. Especially the early Vipers are great to have now. Perhaps pre-MLU will follow as well. Tamiya is not doing this, and the Gold-series quality also does not require that anymore.

Edited by Mr.T

A good rule when posting (anywhere) is to frame a complaint as a comment or a question, that way you don't come off as a Debbie Downer with your panties all in a wad....

(edit: not directed any anyone in particular)

Edited by habu2
On 12/16/2022 at 11:44 AM, Solo said:

Meanwhile there is build in progres on FB of F-16C. As you can see, that model looks just like Tamiya. Almost the same I do believe. According to author, Rene van der Hart "putty hardly used". But frankly said I am not so sure about shape of forward part of fuselage.
Anyway, if it is true, and the quality of kit is similar to Tamiya, byt the kit is much more expensive than Tamiya, so I do not see any sense to buy it.

image.thumb.png.47a0b92f9238c80a7cc953049d5d21a3.png

There are no shape issues with the nose. 

This new Kinetic kit is basically a F-16C. It will take a lot of aftermarket and filing and rescribing to get a F-16 MLU Block 15. As I`ve stated - the F-16 MLU is a very challenging beast to get right. In my opinion the most challenging version of the F-16 to get right, if you`re a rivet counter/ want to get your build "correct".

To my knowledge, there is no F-16 kit in 1/48 that covers the Block 1, 5 and 10. These early F-16s have different layout of the intake sides, and other antenna setup. Even some of the makers of aftermarket intakes have not caught this. The Jake Melampy book on the early F-16 does not go into the differences between the early blocks., as does other detailing books covering the F-16.

I hope that the upcoming Minibase kit has the RAM panels correct, strenghtening plates, a correct late ACES II seat (well detailed), no bulbs on the overside fuselage and a correct rudderbase with a correct parahousing - and a tinted canopy.  I hate tinting the canopy and I imagine that I`m not alone in this. No F-16 kit in 1/48 has all these essential mods for the F-16 MLU correct - most have them omitted completely. Actually - The Hasegawa F-16A is not such a bad kit if you want the MLU correct - a 40 year old kit! But as the industry has evolved with so much better engraving one can only hope for the Minibase kit!

In my opinion the best parabrake was done by Wolfpack - although some of these had shrinkage. The best cockpit was done by Sierre Hotel Models, same with the ACES II. Sadly SHM seems to be inactive or gone (anyone has update info on them?). Kasl does some really good stuff, but the parabrake lacks the RWR antennas and no RAM.

Anyway - the most important part of the hobby is to build and have fun. Guys like me tend to forget this.

Happy Holidays - I`m going for a Tarangus SF-37 Viggen build📷

And Check Six for Santa!

Can't wait for all of these armchair model developers to come together and form their own perfect kit company to show the rest of us where we've all gone wrong by accepting such mediocre offerings. 

7 hours ago, WouldbeIceman said:

To my knowledge, there is no F-16 kit in 1/48 that covers the Block 1, 5 and 10. These early F-16s have different layout of the intake sides, and other antenna setup. 

The early Revell kit was pretty close, with small tail stabs and antenna locations. Closed canopy only though, and I'd have to find one to compare inlet panel lines.

The early Monogram, Esci, Entex and Tamiya molds were all a mishmash of YF and FSD details. Hasegawa never released a small tail / early antenna kit, all theirs were basically Block 15 and up. 

23 hours ago, habu2 said:

The early Revell kit was pretty close, with small tail stabs and antenna locations. Closed canopy only though, and I'd have to find one to compare inlet panel lines.

The early Monogram, Esci, Entex and Tamiya molds were all a mishmash of YF and FSD details. Hasegawa never released a small tail / early antenna kit, all theirs were basically Block 15 and up. 

so buy the revell for the horizontal stabs and trash the rest?

2 hours ago, DarkKnight said:

so buy the revell for the horizontal stabs and trash the rest?

Why would you do that?  :rolleyes:

If you only want the small tail stabs just cut down the big tail stabs in your (insert manufacturer name here) kit.  Drawings are readily available on the 'net...

52 minutes ago, habu2 said:

Why would you do that?  :rolleyes:

If you only want the small tail stabs just cut down the big tail stabs in your (insert manufacturer name here) kit.  Drawings are readily available on the 'net...

Or if you don't want to mess with research and modifying kit parts: $6.49 @ 

https://spruebrothers.com/qbt48240-1-48-quickboost-f-16-falcon-block-5-10-floating-elevator-48240/ 

• 2 weeks later...

My Kinetic Gold F-16A and F-16C just arrived. I did not know about the Magfire feature before I saw it mentioned on the box lid. It says "MagFire compatible" ... But I  can not find anything else about MagFire anywhere. Is it going to be available separately?  If so, when? it looks like a great feature I would love to try.

I can not add much to the discussion about the kit itself, I have not started building, and I don't know the F-16 well enough to judge accuracy, but it does look lovely in the bags. And it has one thing which I really like ... Decals for the instrument panel and side consoles. 

Edited by Kurt H.
typo