New tool F-16AM MLU in 1:48 announced by Kinetic

I think a disappointment regarding the plates is that a PE set of plates was included in this 2011 boxing of the older kit. 

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/kinetic-k48036-f-16a-block-20-mlu--130553

It’s unclear why the new kit doesn’t have the plates, since the patterns obviously exist.

Edited by Dave Williams
9 hours ago, Buckmeister said:

So when you say “everything” in the box to build it - that should include a full engine, hydraulic lines on the gear struts, brake pads, valve stems, and all of the radar and avionics boxes?  

I expect you’re going to be a very disappointed person if you expect every kit to have every single thing “needed” (which is a word you need to define) to be in every box.  

Really dude???

TLDR: Can a reasonable F-16A Block 10 be built from what's in this boxing? 
I've purchased the stencils and decals for a Top Aces jet, with the thoughts of using this kit. I know they upgraded the stabs, so are both included? Given that it's a MLU.

1 hour ago, ST0RM said:

I've purchased the stencils and decals for a Top Aces jet, with the thoughts of using this kit. I know they upgraded the stabs, so are both included? Given that it's a MLU.

The MLU kit only includes the bigger Block 15 stabs.  In fact, I’m not sure that any of the Kinetic F-16 boxings, old or new, had the old small stabs.  

17 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

I think a disappointment regarding the plates is that a PE set of plates was included in this 2011 boxing of the older kit. 

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/kinetic-k48036-f-16a-block-20-mlu--130553

It’s unclear why the new kit doesn’t have the plates, since the patterns obviously exist.

Most likely the ones on the older kit were a special run made for Kinetic by Eduard or another P/E manufacture. I would think they weren't included this time was for a cost savings move. I wish that they had included them, but I understand the economics. 

2 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

The MLU kit only includes the bigger Block 15 stabs.  In fact, I’m not sure that any of the Kinetic F-16 boxings, old or new, had the old small stabs.  

Works for me. Top Aces' birds have the larger stabs anyhow. Just wanted to confirm. 
Now to find one in stock someplace. Or someone disgruntled. 
Thanks!

AFAIK no one has released a "small stab" F-16 kit since the original Revell, Monogram and ESCI/ERTL kits were released 40+ years ago.

wrt the Kinetic kit, I'm not sure it includes the pre-MLU instrument panels needed for a Block 10.  I'm not at home right now to check my kit for parts.

11 hours ago, ST0RM said:

That's what my backdate set is for. Small stabs (made from special hard resin), IP and coaming, early type ECS exhaust some small parts plus instructions on what to and what not to use from the kit parts and guidance on how to modify kit parts to make an even more accurate early block.

https://www.hypersonicmodels.com/product/f-16a-backdate-set

Full%20Set.jpg

Cheers,

J

Edited by JeffreyK
10 hours ago, habu2 said:

AFAIK no one has released a "small stab" F-16 kit since the original Revell, Monogram and ESCI/ERTL kits were released 40+ years ago.

wrt the Kinetic kit, I'm not sure it includes the pre-MLU instrument panels needed for a Block 10.  I'm not at home right now to check my kit for parts.

Cough....*Hasegawa*....cough

Hard to find though

14 hours ago, Bozothenutter said:

Cough....*Hasegawa*....cough

Hard to find though

Which release? 

ALL of the Hasegawa 1/48 kits have the larger H stabs.  If the included markings are for an early small stab bird the instructions tell you to cut/modify the kit's large stabs so that doesn't "count". 

The same is true for all Hasegawa 1/72 F-16 kits *except* their very early YF-16 release, which uses completely different molds. 

edit - the first releases of Hasegawa's 1/32 kit had small stabs, is this what you're referring to?

Edited by habu2
16 hours ago, habu2 said:

Which release? 

ALL of the Hasegawa 1/48 kits have the larger H stabs.  If the included markings are for an early small stab bird the instructions tell you to cut/modify the kit's large stabs so that doesn't "count". 

The same is true for all Hasegawa 1/72 F-16 kits *except* their very early YF-16 release, which uses completely different molds. 

edit - the first releases of Hasegawa's 1/32 kit had small stabs, is this what you're referring to?

oops, I stand corrected!

This also means I have bought the wrong kit, on the assumption it had the small stabs.....

On 8/12/2023 at 7:42 PM, Brad-M said:

Exactly, and this is why I purchased the kit. If you print MLU NATO Viper on the box, it should provide you with everything in the box to build it, except seal belts. My opinion, YMMV.

I had the same issue with the Kinetic late model Hornets, especially the ATARS, when what was included in the box, after a lot of fanfare, needed aftermarket to represent the actual aircraft the markings were made for and on the ATARS, you actually had to get aftermarket decals to get slime lights and other necessary data markings.  When similar comments as yours were made, it was basically “go get aftermarket and be glad we made an ATARS model”.

On 8/21/2023 at 6:27 AM, ST0RM said:

Not really.  There's nothing shake and bake about trying to make a block 10 from this kit. 

The base tooling is for a block 52 airframe.  There is an early vertical tail and aft upper fuselage included.  The early aft fuselage requires some panel lines to be filled to represent the block 10 airframe.  The vertical tail needs some rework as well.

The rest of the main parts need extensive panel line rework to represent a block 10 bird.  The Reid Air early F-16A/B book is an excellent resource for this. 

Be sure to pick up the Hypersonic back date set.  It includes the most challenging bits that otherwise require scratch building. 

If you are building a jet with the 119 jamming pod on the centerline pylon, you will need to scratch build the early pylon.

3D Chutes makes a set of mid-wing early pylons and a decent block 10 tail.

Kopecky makes early wing tip sidewinder rails that look great.

On 8/23/2023 at 6:39 AM, USAFsparkchaser said:

Can someone confirm the Res Kit Pratt and Whitney exhaust kinetic set fits the Gold Series?

The Reskit exhaust for the gen 1 Kinetic kit doesn't fit.  The closest fit of all of the reskit P&W exhausts is the one designed for the Hasegawa kits.  It will require some slight modifications to slide into the kit afterburner shroud.

image.png.1f2d87d899e68f488d008e52fd3a4750.png

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/27/2023 at 11:38 AM, sigtau said:

The Reskit exhaust for the gen 1 Kinetic kit doesn't fit.  The closest fit of all of the reskit P&W exhausts is the one designed for the Hasegawa kits.  It will require some slight modifications to slide into the kit afterburner shroud.

image.png.1f2d87d899e68f488d008e52fd3a4750.png

I have an old nozzle from Aires which is for the Hasegawa kit. Once I receive my kit I'll have to check and see if it fits. The MLU Vipers are using the Pratt F100 or 220?

On 9/5/2023 at 12:46 PM, Mr Matt Foley said:

I have an old nozzle from Aires which is for the Hasegawa kit. Once I receive my kit I'll have to check and see if it fits. The MLU Vipers are using the Pratt F100 or 220?

I tried the Aires nozzle for the Hasegawa kit and it was undersized.  The Reskit Hasegawa nozzle includes a new afterburner shroud that was probably meant to correct the Hasegawa part.

Edited by sigtau
  • 1 month later...

My MLu came in on backorder this week, so I went ahead and grabbed the Hypersonic set as well. I'll use the vents and IP shroud for the early Viper, but I'm pretty sure TopAces have updated their cockpits a bit. 

And so I'm reading that the ResKit nozzle is undersized? Hmmm. Time to search for an alternate. 

-Jeff

3 hours ago, ST0RM said:

My MLu came in on backorder this week, so I went ahead and grabbed the Hypersonic set as well. I'll use the vents and IP shroud for the early Viper, but I'm pretty sure TopAces have updated their cockpits a bit. 

And so I'm reading that the ResKit nozzle is undersized? Hmmm. Time to search for an alternate. 

-Jeff

Eduard has both engines sized for the new release along with a lot of other options.

2 hours ago, Plastictiger said:

Eduard has both engines sized for the new release along with a lot of other options.

What is the Eduard part number?

Eduard Part number:  648854

Produced this year (late spring) and I just realized I have it in my stash.

Edited by Mr Matt Foley