21 hours ago, Gwen Phoenix said:

Thought the issue with regard to the too wide cross section of the canopy on the 1/48 GWH F-15C kit had been solved by the Fairy-Hobby correction set? :hmmm: 

Well, I hope it did.

Cheers everyone,

Gwen

Im sure it was.
My problem with the whole thing is given the price should it be needed?

Its not a cheap kit! And when you have to go off and find the canopy, which isnt easy...

I mean im no rivet counter and all that, but if you are going to end up with an inaccurate model why would you spend so much on it...

I could spend just as much on the tamiya kit and detail it up to the same level for only a little more money and enjoy it all the more because I had to work on it.

On 6/9/2022 at 2:27 PM, ElectroSoldier said:

I could spend just as much on the tamiya kit and detail it up to the same level for only a little more money and enjoy it all the more because I had to work on it.

Hi ElectroSoldier,

Gracious dear! But, as far as I learnt, shapewise, isn't the Tamiya Eagle kit worse than the Academy kit?

Incidentally, I recall Mr Mao saying that the whole forward fuselage in the Hasegawa kit was all wrong. What is your take on that?

Seems that I've got a spare Fairy-Hobby 1/48 GWH F-15C windshield/canopy correction set to part with :hmmm:

Cheers,

Gwen

15 hours ago, Gwen Phoenix said:

Hi ElectroSoldier,

Gracious dear! But, as far as I learnt, shapewise, isn't the Tamiya Eagle kit worse than the Academy kit?

Incidentally, I recall Mr Mao saying that the whole forward fuselage in the Hasegawa kit was all wrong. What is your take on that?

Seems that I've got a spare Fairy-Hobby 1/48 GWH F-15C windshield/canopy correction set to part with :hmmm:

Cheers,

Gwen

Well as both as equally inaccurate then the whole idea of that goes out the windows so it all comes down to how much you enjoy doing it.

If anyone is interested you can see all the work I had to do to correct the fit issues on the Hasegawa F-15C. Not trying to hijack the post, just provide info so people can make an educated decision. It still stares down at me from the SOD...

Mike's F-15C Aggressor

The intake gaps were a particularly intense nightmare.

1 hour ago, Wolfgun33 said:

So how bad is the Academy F-15C kit? I have it in the stash cause I got it super cheap at a model show.

The primary gripe is the shape of the bulges for the engines on the upper fuselage are more pronounced than they should be. I'd compare some photos of the kit against the real plane. If you don't see it, don't worry about it.  The other gripe is the detail around the speedbrake is not really accurate. Supposedly construction is more challenging than the Hasegawa, but I've done both and didn't think they were that different.

This is the tutorial of how to correct Hasegawa 1/48 F-15 nose cone(and also 1/72 version).

Yes it is too short if you compare it to real life photos.

You need to extend it by plastic sheet.

A bit surprising that very few people really noticed it before.

WIP photos by Mr. Jersey Chen.

7FD9C8C6-3099-43D4-8CCD-988F83C7F415.png

31ECBA94-F220-4794-ACF6-C1D2EDF0B09F.png

FAD5A477-C22A-4946-B391-4FD3F924BE2F.png

DC5235B7-94C2-4451-8153-67A6014B75DE.png

8 hours ago, Craig Baldwin said:

Would you have a link from where this information and WIP was taken?

Jersey is my friend and this work/research is done by himself.

The easiest way is to put Hasegawa F-15 nose to a side profile picture which is widely available online, and you will find the kit nose cone could not match the real thing outline in the picture.

51 minutes ago, haneto said:

The easiest way is to put Hasegawa F-15 nose to a side profile picture which is widely available online, and you will find the kit nose cone could not match the real thing outline in the picture.

Well you are correct that they would not match for the fact that where the photographer was standing sets different distances from the camera sensor/film to the tip of the radome compared to the base(the part that attaches to the fuselage). Optical distortion. As well focal length used.

Edited by Craig Baldwin
27 minutes ago, Craig Baldwin said:

Well you are correct that they would not match for the fact that where the photographer was standing sets different distances from the camera sensor/film to the tip of the radome compared to the base(the part that attaches to the fuselage). Optical distortion. As well focal length used.

Surely there will be distortion due to angle and distance, but you can always find relatively pure side view.

We have compared with tons of photos and comes to the conclusion that Hasegawa kit is wrong.

19 minutes ago, Gwen Phoenix said:

Okay, since I'm such an inveterate noob, I'll ask:

What's the difference in making an angled cut or a straight, vertical cut in the example above?

Why did Mr Chen opt to make an angled cut in this case?

Cheers,

Gwen

The real F15 has a downward angle to the overall silhouette of the nosecone. I suspect the Hasegawa kit has its nosecone's point axial with the rest of the fuselage. By cutting the tip off at a slight angle, rotating it 180* puts a downward angle to the point and the rest of it can be contoured with sanding. 

21 hours ago, TheGloriousTachikoma said:

I suspect the Hasegawa kit has its nosecone's point axial with the rest of the fuselage. By cutting the tip off at a slight angle, rotating it 180* puts a downward angle to the point and the rest of it can be contoured with sanding. 

Hi TGT,

Oh, I got it now. The angled cut was made in order to rotate the original nose in the kit so that the repositioned tip would be below the fuselage axis.

At first I thought all this was attained merely by the addition of the plastic shim at an angle, but it's two different matters.

Thanks a million, fella. :worship:

Cheers,

Gwen

On 6/13/2022 at 6:11 PM, Gwen Phoenix said:

Hi ElectroSoldier,

Cheers,

Gwen

I dont have a take as I dont have any experience with Eagles (yet). And I'm one of those dirty whiffers so my opinion carries the same weight as a worn out mig29's wings.  But as long as the shapes are mostly there I dont mind. I'm also a ho for options and leftover ordnance so I'd only ever buy the Academy kits.