I posted this project in The wrong area but now i am in the right place i hope. This is my first jet/plane So i could use a lot of help… this is kind of a practice run and my goal is to keep an accurate a7e by shape but it will be painted in SEA scheme cause i think it looks cool.

6AF817DB-AE35-469D-9262-05AB2B2486BF.jpeg

230C89B5-1992-4EA1-BC4B-123E3B52512B.jpeg

24 minutes ago, thefngreek said:

The little glass piece glare shield? Should that be painted a clear green? Or left clear?

It should be clear. If you can still do it, maybe hit just the top and bottom edges with some clear green.

Steve

5 hours ago, A-10 LOADER said:

It should be clear. If you can still do it, maybe hit just the top and bottom edges with some clear green.

Steve

Steve is correct, it should be clear.

When the HUD is operating, the HUD can appear green from some angles and I think some modellers may be attempting to simulate this or have misunderstood the picture (or they saw another modeller do this and have copied it) but the glass is clear. Sometimes you can see a 'prismatic' effect like that seen on camera lenses and there are clear self adhesive films that you can use to simulate this effect but for such a small item you need to decide if the bite is worth the chew,

cheers,

Pappy

Very well said! It’s definitely not worth it to me cause this is my first jet and it won’t be 100% accurate! I tried painting the cockpit based off sone youtube videos and here is what i got… If it’s or looks bad please tell me

20EE0960-3C0D-4E2F-BA88-A3F63ACC2BB3.jpeg

B5EF4074-4158-40A0-B660-3D4245084019.jpeg

Nice work!

This is how my cockpit turned out - I think it may be the same resin set. I left the HUD 'combiner' glass clear but painted the HUD lens a clear green colour

(Incidentally,  if you think it rude of me to add a picture of my build in your WIP I will happily remove it upon request, I meant no offence just to illustrate a point re the HUD)

cockpit.jpg

As mine will also be a HAF A-7H 'Alepou' I have modified the IFR probe to reflect the real aircraft. The spot where it normally would be had two strips of plastic glued over the opening to match pictures I found on-line.

Note the HAF also operated some late model ex-USN A-7Es that were fitted with the later style NACES seat instead of the ESCAPAC seat that I have used so check your references.

cheers,

Pappy

Edited by Pappy121

For the cockpit painting, I'd go with picking out larger dials with a light gray colour, then try to drybrush the black parts slightly. It gets the smaller knobs somewhat better. If You have a steady hand, You could drybrush first, then pick the knobs. I rarely overdo the drybrush, but more often spill the paint on a knob or two. A wash also adds surprisingly nice shadow effect.

Nice kit btw!

• 2 weeks later...

Anybody can post their pictures here if they want… i could definitely use any tips and ideas you guys have on your past projects!  This is my first jet and it’s pretty much a practice run which is why I’m not really going for accuracy

Edited by thefngreek

G'day TFG,

I am not sure if you were aware but in HAF service the the darker exterior camouflage green (FS34079) was extended inside the intake for quite some distance back, about 6 feet in real life.

I also found the fit of the air brake parts also problematic and it needed several attempts of careful sanding and dry-fitting to get all the parts to mesh together. I ignored the instruction sequence and built up that assembly separately first. There were still some spots that needed a touch of filler but it was easier to get all the parts, especially the small hinged side doors sitting level this way.

007_zpstworvayp.jpg

This was then added to the fuselage assembly. I needed to add a plastic shim on each side but it was easy to then just sand back and clean up

029_zpsw9cngzqp.jpg

One final suggestion, HAF A-7Hs did not use the nose gear catapult launch bar so the recess for this needs to be filled in. I just used sprue off-cuts and coated the lot with liquid cement. Once hard, just sand back to flush

027_zpsu8ybvqye.jpg

cheers,

Pappy

8 hours ago, thefngreek said:

I’m back!! Sorry but this project has not been easy!! I’m having lots of fit issues with the aftermarket parts and i had to use lots gap filler which i have little experience with… here are some pictures551E7BA0-2C51-4417-B083-C543D8F7BA04.thumb.jpeg.feeb871e9d6cf002d93a242d578544b8.jpeg

G'day FNG, I am not sure but I would have thought that the edges of the AM nose wheel well (NWW) would need to fit under/inside the edges of the fuselage parts as that is how the kit part (which is replaced by AM) fits. If that is the case you may need to sand down the back of the resin NWW so that it can sit inside,

Pappy

Edited by Pappy121

The fitting of the nose wheel bay is definitely the issue here. The bay should fit inside the fuselage, not flush. The top of the bay needs to be thinned down for it to fit in between the intake ducting and the locating recess for the wheel bay. Once that fits, everything else will fit much more snuggly.

It seems that i made a few mistakes and I’m sure they won’t be the last haha… i do agree with you guys, i should have sanded Wheel bay down instead of doing what i did! for future projects, do after market wheel bays fit inside the fuselage?  Anyways here are more progress pics.  As usual all comments and criticism is welcome!

9DF1BFA3-7312-4AEB-8656-B395CE2EFA23.jpeg

05129A4A-B6DD-4AD1-B62D-86C4E63C6C06.jpeg

D19A9FAB-DBC3-4B2F-AFAE-31EF2D3E0C56.jpeg

G'day FNG,

Typically, aftermarket replacement weapons and undercarriage bays should fit inside the kit, and if they replace the kit part then they should fit the same way as the part they replace (yeah right!).

The problem is that the aftermarket parts don't always come with clear instructions, you may get a diagram or box top picture if you are lucky. You may also need to thin the resin part and the inside of the kit fuselage or wing parts to get the items to fit properly. Some brands fit better than others, Aires for example usually don't fit without a lot of sanding while Wolfpack tend to drop straight in, but that is just my experience,

cheers,

Pappy

Edited by Pappy121

Thanks for the tips/ heads up! This has definitely been a new experience and my next protect is gonna Be a 1/48 a10 and that’s gonna be an accurate build with the same am items like wheel bays and cockpit… hopefully i won’t screw it up like this project!! Anyways here are some more pictures… i think I’m ready for paint… s

BF6848CB-FAF0-4C1C-8D64-DEBB22059649.jpeg

7C247AEE-AE52-4619-A58E-6C98B2C05016.jpeg

8 hours ago, thefngreek said:

Couple questions… Is the landing gear white? Along with with bays? And are they under wings painted white or light ghost grey?

Yes, the landing gear and bays are white, for under the wings it depends on what marking you are using.

If you are using the VA-82 markings that come with the kit then yes, the under wings and fuselage belly along with both sides of the horizontal stabs (back wings), radome, vertical fin tip, rudder, flaps and ailerons will be white.