Best FB sites to sell kits

Hello,

Have a lot of kits I want to sell. Posted a bunch of tanks on here and haven't had any interest. Sick of paying Ebay's fees to do nothing but take my money. Looking into other options. 

Anyone here have a spot to sell on FB? I really don't wantrto join, hate the idea of it, but feel like it's my only option with forums dying off.  

Appreciate any help. 

Thanks

Adam

Assuming you're in the US, there is one called Scale Model Graveyard that has 25,000 members. If you happen to be a fellow Canuck, there is Canadian Scale Modellers B/S/T. If you're European, I am sure others exist, but I don't know of them.

38 minutes ago, phantom said:

Sell them here.

Think he said he tried and got no interest, which isn’t much of a surprise, since he said it was tanks.  To be honest, if you’re selling a lot of kits, forums like this aren’t very good. Chances are if you post a bunch of kits, you’ll only get nibbles here and there, and have a lot of back and forth with people asking for shipping costs for kit X or Y, and the hassle of boxing up and sending out individually each kit that does sell.  One thing I would absolutely not do is join Facebook just to sell some model kits.

Looks like Freetime Hobbies has some new eBay-type site just for models.

https://hobby-swap.com

16 minutes ago, Dave Williams said:

Think he said he tried and got no interest, which isn’t much of a surprise, since he said it was tanks.  To be honest, if you’re selling a lot of kits, forums like this aren’t very good. Chances are if you post a bunch of kits, you’ll only get nibbles here and there, and have a lot of back and forth with people asking for shipping costs for kit X or Y, and the hassle of boxing up and sending out individually each kit that does sell.  One thing I would absolutely not do is join Facebook just to sell some model kits.

Looks like Freetime Hobbies has some new eBay-type site just for models.

https://hobby-swap.com

Thanks Dave. I'll check that out too. Not sure how much traffic it gets but may be worth it. Really don't want to do Facebook but don't want to pay fees.  

I sold over 40 F1 car kits on ebay last year and had hardly anyone buy more than one kit at a time. Would like to sell stuff in lots but no one is willing to pay even half what they're worth. 

Have some jet and plane kits in 32nd and 48th. Just need to sort through what I want to get rid of.  Know that they will sell off slow on here though too. With 3 kids not much is getting built and when they're done I have no where to put them besides in a box so at this point this hobby is becoming less enjoyable for me. 

If you are near any hobby shops, possibly you can arrange something with them. You could have them sell the kits for you and have some sort of percentage basis set up.

They would get quality kits on the shelves at no cost to them and you would both reap the benefits.

Bob

2 hours ago, adambc said:

Thanks Dave. I'll check that out too. Not sure how much traffic it gets but may be worth it. Really don't want to do Facebook but don't want to pay fees.  

I sold over 40 F1 car kits on ebay last year and had hardly anyone buy more than one kit at a time. Would like to sell stuff in lots but no one is willing to pay even half what they're worth. 

Have some jet and plane kits in 32nd and 48th. Just need to sort through what I want to get rid of.  Know that they will sell off slow on here though too. With 3 kids not much is getting built and when they're done I have no where to put them besides in a box so at this point this hobby is becoming less enjoyable for me. 

Even if listing on Facebook, when you get to selling the 1/48 and 1/32 aircraft, post here too so we can have a look. I am not part of the American buy/sell group because I grew tired of 95% of the ads not even entertaining the thought of selling to Canada.

11 hours ago, Bob Beary said:

If you are near any hobby shops, possibly you can arrange something with them. You could have them sell the kits for you and have some sort of percentage basis set up.

They would get quality kits on the shelves at no cost to them and you would both reap the benefits.

Bob

Hi Bob,

I do have a larger hobby shop here in Davenport IA, they charge around 20% so better off on ebay.  They usually have some good stuff but the guys mark them up to over "ebay" pricing to cover the shop fee that they usually sit for quite a while.

9 hours ago, Specter1075 said:

Even if listing on Facebook, when you get to selling the 1/48 and 1/32 aircraft, post here too so we can have a look. I am not part of the American buy/sell group because I grew tired of 95% of the ads not even entertaining the thought of selling to Canada.

Yea with shipping in the US going up to crazy prices, shipping over a border has gotten even worse. 

9 hours ago, habu2 said:

lol for using the words Best and Facebook in the same sentence...  😂 😂 😂

8 hours ago, Specter1075 said:

Best of the worst is a thing!

Haha, exactly.  Seems like a necessary evil at this point though.  I've heard from a few people over the last couple years that it is the new place to offload kits with no fees.

5 hours ago, WymanV said:

I've bought kits on a facebook group called Scale Model Trader with success.

Thanks, I'll check that one out too.  

Just have to bite the bullet and sign up now.

Adam

I second the Scale Model Graveyard.  I've had good luck selling on there.  They also have an auction on the weekends.  You will sell your stuff, but you might not get what you want for the kits.  There are folks on there who buy collections too.  Also, look up FireHouse Hobbies, I know he buys collections too.  

1 hour ago, eraucubsfan said:

I second the Scale Model Graveyard.  I've had good luck selling on there.  They also have an auction on the weekends.  You will sell your stuff, but you might not get what you want for the kits.  There are folks on there who buy collections too.  Also, look up FireHouse Hobbies, I know he buys collections too.  

Sounds good, thanks.  I'll check them out too.

I sold an item on ebay a few years ago for a pretty penny. It was $150 plus $25 intl. shipping but immediately i felt bad for the buyer so after the buyer in USA had paid up, i cancelled the ebay order, refunded the guy the money and got in touch with the buyer and told him hey, let`s make our own arrangement which we did and i let him have it for $75 plus shipping via PP friends and family. Now i don`t know how many times you can get away with doing that, but my logic is since ebay is being such a jerk and charging all those silly fees, why can`t i doublecross ebay every now and then. They really do deserve it because all those fees take the fun out of the ebay experience. So there it is, try listing your tank lot on ebay and follow my finely tuned example 😉   

35 minutes ago, breadneck said:

I sold an item on ebay a few years ago for a pretty penny. It was $150 plus $25 intl. shipping but immediately i felt bad for the buyer so after the buyer in USA had paid up, i cancelled the ebay order, refunded the guy the money and got in touch with the buyer and told him hey, let`s make our own arrangement which we did and i let him have it for $75 plus shipping via PP friends and family. Now i don`t know how many times you can get away with doing that, but my logic is since ebay is being such a jerk and charging all those silly fees, why can`t i doublecross ebay every now and then. They really do deserve it because all those fees take the fun out of the ebay experience. So there it is, try listing your tank lot on ebay and follow my finely tuned example 😉   

Its a nice thing that you did, but you opened both of you up to getting screwed over. I can trust people here who have a verifiable history, but were I that Ebay buyer, I would have been put off immediately by your offer. I am glad it worked out in your case!

Edited by Specter1075
14 hours ago, breadneck said:

Yea, I used to get away with stuff like that on ebay all the time. I would buy and sell a lot outside of there but that was when you could send an email address and get away with it.  They police it so bad now you can't even send a picture with your address written down and they catch it.  About the only way to do it is get them to join a site like this or most ask to contact them on FB or similar sites.  Seems to be the way everything is going so I guess it's time to stop fighting it in my old age (39) haha.  

Appreciate everyone's feedback and input on this.  Will be looking into Scale Graveyard soon it looks like.

Thanks,

Adam

On 5/31/2022 at 10:44 PM, adambc said:

Hello,

Have a lot of kits I want to sell. Posted a bunch of tanks on here and haven't had any interest. Sick of paying Ebay's fees to do nothing but take my money. Looking into other options. 

Anyone here have a spot to sell on FB? I really don't wantrto join, hate the idea of it, but feel like it's my only option with forums dying off.  

Appreciate any help. 

Thanks

Adam

It wasnt the lack of interest in the models, not even the price of them, or one in particular, its the shipping costs of them from the USA.

19 hours ago, eraucubsfan said:

It takes a couple of days, they are busy on the weekends with the auctions 

Ok. Thanks. I just checked though and it went from having a "cancel request" option back to having a join button again. Not sure if they denied my request?  

I just signed up and only want to use it as a way to sell kits. I'll try again again tomorrow and see what happens. May need someone on the inside to send the mods a message for me if willing to help me out. 

Thanks 

Adam

41 minutes ago, Charlie D. said:

Admins are usually pretty busy on the weekends with the auctions, calms down a bit during the week! Give it a few days.

Sounds good. I'll try again and let you know of I need help. 

Adam

Finally was accepted onto a few sale pages on FB last week. Only sold 2 kits so far. May try to auction one or two next weekend to see how it goes now that I know hos it works. 

Per request I made a FS thread here with the aircraft I'm wanting to sell first. Had less than I thought. 

Thanks for everyone's help and let me know of you're interested in anything. 

Adam