10 aviation scenes that annoy me...

I just watched the Final Countdown yesterday (for the umpteenth time) and I had never noticed the reflection in the F-14's pilots helmet before.  Oh well, still an awesome scene and the best film to feature a CVN.

Regards,

John

Yeah, I remember noticing that way back when TFC first went to rental on vhs ...

It doesn't really annoy me in that it was necessary for filming and capturing great footage ...

I've never felt it ruined or took me out of the movie ...

Think of the poor Intruder pilot that had to wear some fighter puke's helmet ..! :whistle:

-Gregg

Oh, I didn't realise about the scene where the F-14 was being an A-6, but then again, I did notice that the Zeros weren't so either. And I do like Intruders a lot.

Another surprise was the F-14 in distress that suddenly became an F9F disaster on board (it's just I was probably staring at Alec Baldwin).

Also, this piece of footage served me well in order to ask myself where (or how) I'm going to place either the AIM-4s or the AIM-2s on my Kitty Hawk 1/48 F-101A kit... :hmmm:Were they supposed to go in a recess or some sort of fairing under the forward fuselage?

And the all-punching sound of John Wayne's relentless smacking doesn't even get near as funny as the angry chicken! :rofl:

X0DL073.jpg

It made me want to build a 6.

The RIO radar sweep scene on Top Gun gave me the giggles as well; not that I were aware of the technical error.

Not a word about the multiple errors on the Independence Day film. That's gross... :rolleyes:

Cheers,

Gwen 

Yes about ID4, Gwen ...:thumbsup:

I grew up about 30 minutes from MCAS El Toro, in the movie it was depicted as if in the desert but actually, it's surrounding area was more akin to a savanna ... There had been allot of orange groves and other commercial farmland until later developed into both commercial and residential real estate ...

-Gregg

I haven't seen the movie with the bird from outer space, but I did see a movie with an F-16 that can fly on Unicorn farts. Iron Eagle.

''How much gas we have left?'' asks the father, from the back seat, who actually is the only one qualified on the Viper. BTW, there IS a gas gauge in the back seat of the Viper...

''800 lbs'' (close to Emergency Fuel in a Viper)

''We have to run then'' as they fly away in full afterburner (which would burn about 500 lbs per minute, approximately).

They then proceed to fly all the way from the north of Africa to Europe on fumes and Unicorn farts.

Even if someone could accept the ridiculous notion that a kid could fly an F-16 after being in only the simulator, the rest of the scenario is completely impossible.

The only other aviation movie scene that is close in terms of ridiculousness is Firefox, where the flame from the back of the jet looks like a bunsen burner, flames rising instead of streaming back from the ''engines.''

ALF

10 minutes ago, ALF18 said:

I haven't seen the movie with the bird from outer space, but I did see a movie with an F-16 that can fly on Unicorn farts. Iron Eagle.

Hi ALF,

Oh, Iron Eagle! :doh: I had completely forgotten about that film.

Yes, Doug Masters was OCUed to fly a Viper from a Cessna 150 :rofl:And while on mission, he'd hook up to some headphones through which he listened to Queen :rolleyes: (Why was it even a Brit band and not Kansas, REO Speedwagon, Bruce Springsteen or R.E.M, I wonder?).

23 minutes ago, ALF18 said:

The only other aviation movie scene that is close in terms of ridiculousness is Firefox, where the flame from the back of the jet looks like a bunsen burner, flames rising instead of streaming back from the ''engines.''

:thatfunny: Careful there, mister... My husband just told me that he was brought up on Fireball XL5, Joe90, Captain Scarlet and Supercar. 

On 6/5/2022 at 2:36 AM, GreyGhost said:

I grew up about 30 minutes from MCAS El Toro, in the movie it was depicted as if in the desert but actually, it's surrounding area was more akin to a savanna ... There had been allot of orange groves and other commercial farmland until later developed into both commercial and residential real estate ...

Hi Gregg,

Never been to the US, but I'd give away my Kingdom to visit any AFB, NAS or MCAS in the West Coast. A Brit mate of mine told me that the mighty Avro Vulcan B.2 once flew along the Grand Canyon. :punk:

Cheers,

Gwen 

10 hours ago, ALF18 said:

“800 lbs'' (close to Emergency Fuel in a Viper)

From a Ralfidude “Sh!ts ‘n’ Giggles” Youtube episode: “How you doin’ on fuel, Linebacker?”  “My fuel state is…Master Caution.”

Edited by Slartibartfast

Hi Gwen,

The two best things about Iron Eagle was Art Scholl's  flying during the plane V motorcycle race scene and Queen's One Vision being on the soundtrack ..!

As for making an excursion to the Western States, may I recommend you try to plan a trip that coincides with one of the big air shows ...

I'd recommend >>> MCAS Miramar <<< personally but the  >>> Nellis AFB <<< Aviation Nation or the >>> Huntington Beach <<< Air Show are also very good as well ...

-Gregg

Sadly, this NAS (Alameda) is no longer open. It was a great place to stop for a weekend visit. That's our little Tutor against the San Francisco skyline. 

ALF

P1090214.JPG

P1090216.JPG

Nice pics ALF !

California was hit pretty hard by the realignment of the 90s ...

Alameda, El Toro, Tustin, George, Norton, McClellan, Long Beach to name a few ...

-Gregg

1 hour ago, GreyGhost said:

As for making an excursion to the Western States, may I recommend you try to plan a trip that coincides with one of the big air shows ...

I'd recommend >>> MCAS Miramar <<< personally but the  >>> Nellis AFB <<< Aviation Nation or the >>> Huntington Beach <<< Air Show are also very good as well ...

Hi Gregg,

Indeed; I couldn't ever conceive travelling in the US without attending one of those shows (as well as marauding each and every LHS in the sorrounding area). :rofl:Sometime in the near future, I hope.

1 hour ago, ALF18 said:

P1090214.JPG

Hi ALF,

Nice picture! How come the HobbyCraft kit is still today the only game in town for a 1/48th scale Tutor? :hmmm:It's very attractive in the Canadian markings.

53 minutes ago, GreyGhost said:

Alameda, El Toro, Tustin, George, Norton, McClellan, Long Beach to name a few ...

^^^ This! :gr_eek2: I was snooping on my husband's reference material for pictures of the nose on a SR-71 one day, when I came across a hardcover book with a head-on picture of the Sled on it. Force Drawdown, by René Francillion, an account on how many bases, aircraft and personnel were reduced from 1988 to 1995 in the US. 

By starting reading that book I totally forgot about the Sled build.  

Cheers,

Gwen

3 hours ago, GreyGhost said:

Nice pics ALF !

-Gregg

Did somebody say El Toro... ? LOL

Here's the California coast, northbound toward Anaheim.

enHGgXY.jpg

I wasn't flying that leg, in our little Tutor. Now, a little further along, we're on final approach into MCAS El Toro.

TedswS9.jpg

On the ground, we filled in some of the aircraft log paperwork before heading to Disneyland. We had a nice visit. Note we're wearing winter flying jackets, because when we left Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan, it was -25C there. Our marshaller wore a wool hat (which we Canadians would call a tuque), because he was freezing. We felt quite warm.

oeKZzAn.jpg

ALF

Those pictures are awesome, ALF!

I worked in the industrial park just to the west, I'd watch aircraft on final all the time.

My brother lived about 3 miles to the west , I lived about 17 miles to the north west up the 5 just a few miles past Disneyland.

Thanks so much for sharing those! :worship:

-Gregg

19 hours ago, GreyGhost said:

I worked in the industrial park just to the west, I'd watch aircraft on final all the time.

Hi Gregg,

It ought to have been awesome watching the military aircraft on finals while at work. Where I dwell at, down here, there's only the medium-size airliners taking off and landing at the domestic airport. It's a nice sight and sound all the same.

Very seldom did I hear the unmistakable sound of the Allison T56 engines in the Herc, or sometimes even the roaring sound of the J52 turbojet of a pair of A-4AR flying by during the Argie Air Force anniversary on August the 10th, but that's that. They were already gone - or obstructed by buildings - by the time I reached a window. 

Not many military jets flying over the town I live in. Some years ago we'd use to go to a friend of my husband's holiday home in the suburbs of Moreno (70 klicks to the west from where I live in) and, to my own amazement, we were suddenly flown over by Mirage IIIEs, IAI Fingers and Maras on finals to the VII Brigada Aérea nearby. :yahoo: That right there was the exact moment I completely lost interest in mingling with our hosts. 

Say, Gregg; did you spot any Sleds on finals? What was the most overwhelming sight to you?

17 hours ago, Alternative 4 said:

The scene in Independence Day where the B-2 fires the nuclear missile at the Alien Craft always annoyed me. The B-2 is far too close to the ship/blast and looks far too low to be dropping a nuclear weapon.

Hi Alternative 4,

Independence Day is a compendium of horrors... :rolleyes: Oh, and Randy Quaid doing that Nuclear Kamikaze ending :doh: What a waste of an F-18!

Cheers both,

Gwen     

Hi Gwen ...

That must have been a sight to see, the Mirage IIIE's alone would have been a real treat!

I only had the pleasure of seeing the Blackbird fly st airshows.

I seen it perform 4 times, once it was what's known as a flying display, it arrived already airborn and went through a modest display of multiple flybys and ending with a high speed pass and dramatic climb. 2 of the other performances were with takeoff's and the remaining performance ended with it landing, that show was at Edwards AFB. I do remember HABU was quite loud on takeoff!

I consider myself fortunate to have seen it that many times ...

The one you should really ask though is Darwin(yardbird78), he worked on the Blackbird program!

HTH ...

-Gregg

• 5 months later...

In "The Giant Claw" those were probably the old box scale Revell models, many of which are currently available through Atlantis. He didn't make any mention of the C-54 that turns into a B-29 model when it crashes or the very roomy B-25 towards the end of the film. I have that movie by the way!

• 1 month later...

The most unbelieveable scene in Top Gun was when they were inverted above the 'MiG-28.' Anyone with any knowledge of those aircraft would know that their aircraft were so close that parts of them would probably be trying to occupy the same space at the same time. I recently saw a picture someone threw together of just how it would have looked, wish I had saved it. 

15 minutes ago, The Rat said:

... scene in Top Gun was when they were inverted above the 'MiG-28.' Anyone with any knowledge of those aircraft would know that ...

Their goal there was storytelling within the confines of screen size and audience eyeball image resolution.

It is well known in visual storytelling on screen and stage that there are times when exact representation of reality is the least effective way to transmit the ideas of action and especially the ideas of emotion and feeling.

On 1/22/2023 at 12:48 PM, southwestforests said:

Their goal there was storytelling within the confines of screen size and audience eyeball image resolution.

It is well known in visual storytelling on screen and stage that there are times when exact representation of reality is the least effective way to transmit the ideas of action and especially the ideas of emotion and feeling.

That could also apply to every other issue in this thread. QUIT HARSHING MY BUZZ! 😁