1/48 ejection seat size, Hasegawa vs Kinetic

I have a few stalled projects on my workbench, two of which are a Hasegawa F-4E and a Kinetic Mir3E. The ejection seats between the two are so differently sized it makes the Kinetic look like 1/72 instead of 1/48, and the pilot from a Hasegawa F-16 kit wont fit in the Mir3 cockpit.

Who is wrong? Is Hasegawa too big? Kinetic too small? Is this the difference between American and European pilots that was designed around and there really is such a size disparity?

There could naturally be an element of the kit manufacturers over or underscaling the cockpit parts. You can see this on the GWH F-15 vs. Hasegawa F-15 and the ACES II seats from each kit. 

But according to this overview relating to Martin-Baker ejection seats, the Mirage III used the Mk 4 or 5 while the F-4 used the Mk 5 (in the UK) or MK 7 for other uses. As the seats are different, so could also the size be different. 

I recommend that you check if you may have other pilots in the stash that could fit better than the one you're trying to fit now? 

Edited by Niels

Can't really help you there but, if you've got it, go check out the sheer size of the pilot in the Airfix 1/48 English Electric Lightning F-1/F-1A/F-2/F-3 kit (at least, that's the one I've got at hand). The fighter jock seems to be on steroids; it won't fit any other jet tub in 1/48th scale!

I recall there was a HUGE difference with regard to the size on the AMK and Kinetic 1/48 IAI Kfir cockpit kits. The difference was considerable, but the mistery on which one was right is yet to be unveiled. 

Some modeller told me that the correct size to measure the dimension of the Martin Baker Mk.4 bang seats in the 1/48 Mirage III kits is still the ancient Heller one.

Cheers,

Gwen

I'm not 100% sure, since I don't have the Hasegawa F-4 kit, but for me, the Hasegawa F-16 kit seat is simply huge. So the pilot is probably quite large.

From left - Italeri, Kinetic, Hasegawa. I don't have a photo with an aftermarket seat, that'd be probably a good reference point.

AM-JKLV8c0SrLeZGdul7gEUIzQqaiPjdPPITy88R

For me, the most important is always the height of the seat cushion. I can sand half of the seat to make it sit in the cockpit. But the lower cushion is usually at, or slightly lower of the side console height.

AM-JKLWkNAKEmUbxmKeuVKyY4Kry-hDXs-5Uk4ru

Honestly, everytime I try to swap a seat in a kit, in any scale, it's a lottery. Sometimes there is no way to fit even aftermarket seats. And then, some of the nicer, more accurate, or simply better looking seats look tiny in the cockpit. Or huge. And these are just seats. Best bet is to take different pilots, and just check which one looks better to scale.

Kinetic seat is undersized. Hasegawa is quite consistent between the F-16 and F-15 kits. The Italeri I wouldn't spend time on. 
In the end, if you have a pilot that fits then it doesn't matter.