Backstory:

The Mk 4 Gun Pod was taught as part of the Aircraft Armament Systems block of instruction when I was in EOD school circa 1969.  It apparently had a horrible maintenance record and the Marines really hated to spend time monkeying with it.  With that said, my review of available photographs indicates that at least one A-4 and one F-4 Squadron were able to work out the bugs and used it to good advantage.  Notes to modelers: (1) If it worked it was extremely dirty, soot and gun-blast residue was all over everything, particularly the gun pod itself.  (2) Hasegawa provides a Mk 4 in some of their Weapons Kits.  It requires an enormous amount of work to make it presentable on kit.  Good luck!

The MK 4 was used extensively by VMFA-122. They even flew 3-gunpod configurations with one at the centerline and one each on stations 1 and 9. 

What is really interesting for me is the way it is attached to the belly station. There seems to be a different shaped rack attached to the belly than th usual bomb rack.

Cheers

Michael

Thanks everyone! This was very helpful.

Does Hasegawa have the only one available in 1/48 scale? Seems like an opportunity for the aftermarket guys considering the Tamiya F-4B's popularity.

Thanks again

Mike