F-111D: Questions Concerning Loadouts and Capabilities

Hello all,

I've been reading about the F-111D, first around the internet, then in old World Air Power Journals, and finally in a newly acquired (but long-ago published) F-111 book by Don Logan.

What is very clear are the problems with this variant: much higher costs, delays in development and acceptance of various softwares/hardwares, and the resulting single squadron of these aircraft in the US inventory. What is noticeably absent is what exactly the role was for this variant, what weapons it could employ, and what set it apart from an operational standpoint. Despite its lower numbers and difficult development, sources seem to indicate that it was very advanced for the time, and among its Aardvark peers. Did that mean it could employ precision weapons like the F-111F? Or was it simply more accurate when deploying unguided weapons?

More generally, as these were all based at Canon AFB, was there a specific role that the squadron would fill? I don't think these aircraft were ever deployed in combat, but had it happened, would they be filling a specific need?

I would like to build a F-111D (I have the Hobby Boss D/E for all its faults...) and while there are many E builds, I see very few D's. If I can get some answers to the above questions, I can decide what to do with my future build.

Thanks you for your replies!

I think you may find the answer to some of your questions here. Mr. Rotramel, the author of the linked content, is a frequent guest here on the ARC forums, and may have more to add.

Thank you! I did find that page earlier. I was hoping someone here, or Mr Vark himself, could expand on it a bit, since the applicable table applies across three variants. I was hoping there was possibly something someone knew that could set the D apart from the others in some way other than its negative development.

There were 3 F-111D squadrons in one wing.

The answer to your question in what set it apart was its glass cockpit.

It had a AN/AYK-6 digital general purpose computer and the AN/AJN-16INS.

Combined with the AN/AVA-9 Intergrated Display set, AN/APQ-130 ARS two AN/APQ-128 TFR and an AN/APN-189 doppler radar. There was also Aided Visual Element TV sensor and Weapons TV mode for use with the GBU-15 for instance.

Now thats a whole lot of alphabet soup but what first what you have to remember is it should have came before the F-111E and not after it.

Its like an A or E but with much more advanced hardware such an avionics, radar etc etc etc.

Think of it as an F-111E with a glass cockpit not an F-111F. But the F-111E was more capable with its wide range of dumb bombs than many other jets were with smart bombs if they could load them.

The table of weapons Jim Rotramel is incomplete, its good for what was actually used because it was seen to have been used but the postulated list is incomplete especially in the weeks and months after ODS.

Had they been deployed they would have filled the same roll as the F-111E did during ODS.

With regards to the F-111D its hard to say what was possible. There were many weapons loaded into the protected memory, so it had a delivery profile for them, but thats not to say they would have been used. They might not even have had them at Cannon AFB for instance, the same goes for the F-111F at Lakenheath.

Edited by ElectroSoldier

The F-111D most mostly seen carrying the SUU-20 practice bomb dispenser, which is believe best simulates the Mk82, I dobut there was ever rockets loaded.
The F-111E was used as a smart bomb carrier for other jets that could designate targets for the F-111E to hit. There were also other weapons used of course, F111.net makes some mention of the other loads used I think.

I have a 111F that I built with Mk82s done up for El Dorado Canyon, so I'd like to avoid using 82s again. I was thinking about using CBU-87s in slant 4 config. Does that seem reasonable? I know the -87s show up on the loadout pages mentioned. 

I tried to find pictures of F-111Ds with ordnance on the wings, and those pictures seem hard to come by!

When used the SUU-65B (CBU-87) was always parent mounted, it was never mounted to the BRU-3A. maximum loading was 4 per jet, 1 per wing pylon.

I would say it would have been perfectly possible for it to employ such a weapon, Ive no photos of it but the F-111E did use it like that.

BLU-107 could be loaded in a slat 4 configuration, and was a weapon it could launch, however I know almost all of the stocks were at Lakenheath until they found the Paveway III with a BLU-109 was better for their prefered delivery profile was as good at destroying runways, they then went to Upper Heyford.

Mk-82 AIR would have been popular too

I looked into the BLU-107 too because they are a visually interesting weapon, but it also seems like the crews hated them, and they weren't very common. I may go with them in the end, but I'll explore all my options before deciding. 

I'd like to avoid the BSU-49 as I loaded them on my El Dorado Canyon F-111F. In hind site, I should have done something different for that build, but what's done is done.

Since the the F-111Ds never saw combat, and I'd like something visually interesting, maybe the SUU-20 with training bombs could work. Am I correct with my understanding that they were used with the F-111Ds? I saw them listed under the training loadouts on the page written by Mr Rotramel, and apparently loaded with something like a single Mk84 or six Mk20s. Adding six Mk20s would look neat, assuming its realistic to do so.

Edited by Specter1075

SUU-20 is highly likely. They trained a lot.

a pair of parent mounted Mk84s, or even four parent mounted Mk84s is possible, and so is 12 BRU mounted Mk20 Rockeyes. on the outer pylons. You could stretch it and go with 6 on each outer pylon and slant 4 on the inner pylons...

Just been looking at some old research material Ive got.
A pair of GBU-10 is possible on the outer wing pylons.

SUU-20 on the inner pylons with MK84 AIR on the outer pylons with a AIM-9P on the port wing shoulder pylon and an ACMI pod on the other side.

Edited by ElectroSoldier

I agree... finding someone that does the Mk84 AIR in 1:48 is proving difficult. Truthfully, I can't find much info about them at all. The attachment for them is the BSU-50/B, correct? I can't so much as find a decent image of it. They must not have seen much use? If it proves as fruitless as its starting to feel, then I may have to change my plans again.

The GBU-10s would need to be buddy lased, correct? Was that something the -111 expected to do?

A rack of Mk20s would look good with the SUU-20. I can use them if nothing else pans out.

I know Eduards Brassin line do them. OoS at the minute though. Couldnt even find any on ebay

Mk.84 bombs retarded fin 1/48 1/48 - Eduard Store

Buddy lasing is pretty normal. It allows greater flexibility in delivery as the jet dropping it no longer has to follow a predictable flight once its dropped.
It happened a lot during ODS, the F-111E carried Paveway for others to guide.

Mk7 (rockeye) or SUU-30H dispensers for area denial after counter air.
First you destroy the runway, then you stop them from affecting repairs.

Or you go with a can of instance sunshine.

Ozmods do a nice B-61

The SUU-30H for area denial after an initial strike is interesting. Is that something that would be part of a mixed loadout? If I want to do training rounds with the SUU-20 would be it be weird to hang those with some SUU-30s? Sorry for the million questions!

SUU-30H outside of an all SUU-30H loadout isnt something Ive seen in actual use.

When used its a slant load on the inner pylons while on the outer it could be all 6, flat or slant loaded onto a BRU-3A.

But 6 all round is possible.

Edited by ElectroSoldier

I still like the SUU-20 with Mk84, AIM-9 and ACMI.

Not being able to find the Mk84 AIR wont change much, the LDGP fin would just mean a different delivery profile for it on the live portion.

It would mean something in real combat as the change in profile would very much depend on the threat however in Red flag it would just mean a higher altitude delivery.

Which isnt what the F-111s did during red flags but thats not to say they never did. In fact its likely they did do it, I just have no photos of it.

I see Kasl Hobby does a SUU-20 with both the BDU-33 and MK106 practice bombs. Given the high-drag variant of Mk84, I assume the MK106 makes most sense? 

EDIT:
Found this image of practice munitions. Looks like orange MK106s and blue Mk84s. Seems to be the way to go. Blue bombs get dropped, blue stripe do not, is that correct?

F-111 Blue Ord.jpg

Edited by Specter1075