First Time Airbrush User Troubleshooting

I've been building models for a long time, and I just finally got an airbrush.  I have been trying to airbrush using Lifecolor acrylics, and I'm truly out of ideas as to what I might be doing wrong.  It is a dual action gravity feed Grex brush.  I've thinned the paint using Lifecolor's own thinner to about a 50/50 ratio, and am spraying at about 20psi.  I cannot get paint to flow except in spurts.  The only thing I've been able to get to spray at all reliably is airbrush cleaner, and even that takes some doing to get started.  Even putting a bunch of thinner in the cup and adding the tiniest amount of paint to the thinner is enough to prevent any flow.  I've been starting airflow before (trying to) introduce paint to avoid tip drying, and even cleaning the tip of the needle doesn't get any flow started.

I'm just out of ideas and it is getting frustrating.  Is there some technique I need to do differently?  Is there some troubleshooting of the airbrush that I can do?  Is this all operator error or could it be an equipment issue?

Chris

Does the needle move backwards when you pull the trigger back? Look at the tip.

If not, check the needle chucking nut to make sure it is tight.

I would take the A/B apart and clean it thoroughly. Cleaning just the tip of the needle doesn't do much in the way of cleaning. Soak the parts (NOT the airbrush) in ordinary lacquer thinner. Make sure you can see through the nozzle tip.

There could be dried paint from previous attempts in there.

Bob

The needle does move, and everything appears to be clean.  I disassembled and cleaned everything and I see no evidence of dried paint anywhere.  And the airbrush will spray cleaner successfully, just not paint really.

Chris

Is the rubber o-ring between the body of the airbrush and the nozzle placed correctly as to provide a tight seal? Is there isn't a tight seal, paint wont spray. I have done this more than once.

Try increasing the psi and see what happens, if fit sprays, the paint might not be thin enough for 20 psi.

I first used Lifecolor about 7 years ago on a large resin piece, the skin tone range. I remember having to experiment with needle size, air pressure and thinning ratios with my passche talon. 

In no way am I criticising the range, but I did find them to be difficult to airbrush... but that could have just been me. 

If your equipment is clean and assembled correctly, thin this stuff heavily. Even start on a ratio of 90% thinner and 10% paint, 20-25 psi and just experiment from there.

I hope this has been of some help!

Andy

• 2 weeks later...

You dont want to over tighten anything

Make sure the nozzle is tight and the cap, if it is the seal that pushes the nozzle down is tight enough.

Make sure the needle is seated nicely into the end of the nozzle, a light tap with the finger to make sure its seated is more enough.