White glue adhesion question...

I am wondering if white glue will adhere to bare plastic that has not been cleaned (mold release still present on the plastic parts).

When I try to use WG to attach my lead shot ballast, the glue adheres to the shot but does not hold onto the bare plastic. The lead shot then just comes off in one large piece, as if the WG adheres to the lead, but not the plastic part.

Scott
CNJC-IPMS

White glue is erratic in it's adhesion. In my experience it does not adhere evenly once dried so some parts may dry and attach, but other parts do not. It's not surprising that it doesn't stick to the plastic.

White glue sort of sits on the surface of both parts so it doesn't really join the parts but connects the parts.

That said I still use it as I have just as much trouble with super glue.

I use a type of elmers glue that is clear.  I use it to attach canopies that may be too easy to mess up with plastic cements or super glue. The nice thing about it is you can typically remove the canopy when all the painting is done with no damage and the glue can be removed with water and a little scrubbing with a cotton swab.  Then you can pose the canopy open.

Geoff M

Kinda like soldering and welding. Soldering fills the pores....low adhesion...like white glue. Welding joins the 2 base metals, like styrene glue it makes a much more solid joint. At least that is what I noticed from my many years of glueing plastic. jon

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/17/2022 at 3:15 PM, F-16 said:

I am wondering if white glue will adhere to bare plastic that has not been cleaned (mold release still present on the plastic parts).

When I try to use WG to attach my lead shot ballast, the glue adheres to the shot but does not hold onto the bare plastic. The lead shot then just comes off in one large piece, as if the WG adheres to the lead, but not the plastic part.

Scott
CNJC-IPMS

The whole reason for the realease agent is to stop things from sticking to each other.

ie the plastic to the mould. It will also stop anything from sticking to the model too, including "white glue"

CA glue, plastic glues "burn" through the release agent.

If you have to use "white glue" then you might want to remove the release agent by activating the surface with some light sand paper.

Otherwise there are better adhesives out there for attaching weights into models.

I only ever use "white glue" as a binding agent for lead shot weight, and in places where its not going to fall out, I just dont want it to rattle around.

• 1 month later...

Do mean traditional plasticine or modern polymer clay? The first should be ok, but the second definitely should not be in contact with models before it is baked and set. It is full of plasticizers and will eat through your model in time.