I recently picked up the 1/48 GWH F-1C MSIP II kit and want to build it as the Grim Reapers bird with the special markings on the recent Two Bobs sheet.  

From what I can tell I need to upgrade the cockpit to the PAD or PASS configuration.  I see only two options for the BAM models, and Quinta Studios.   I'm thinking that maybe the best option is to get both.  

Also, the wheels need to be upgraded, the new versions.  It appears that again BAM models or phase Hangar have them, which is the best? 

Any other things I should "upgrade"?  I don't care much about the shape issues pointed out in my previous thread.  Do the exhaust need "upgrading"  

Honza's stuff is awesome to upgrade your Eagle's exterior.

You would need the PASS upgrade indeed. Quinta's gives you only the IP (in their nice colour 3D prints) and coaming, BAM gives you a bit more, in particular the new JFS exhaust and the JHCMS Magnetic Tracking Unit.

The BAM wheels are only for two-seaters (F-15C wheels are a bit slimmer although the difference is small). I don't believe anyone makes modern F-15C wheels so I might do them sometime soon 🙂

Recent F-15Cs are often seen with the Legion pod, sometimes with the Dragon's Eye pod - both available at BAM

I hope this helps,

Arnaud

9 hours ago, eraucubsfan said:

I recently picked up the 1/48 GWH F-1C MSIP II kit and want to build it as the Grim Reapers bird with the special markings on the recent Two Bobs sheet.  

From what I can tell I need to upgrade the cockpit to the PAD or PASS configuration.  I see only two options for the BAM models, and Quinta Studios.   I'm thinking that maybe the best option is to get both.  

Also, the wheels need to be upgraded, the new versions.  It appears that again BAM models or phase Hangar have them, which is the best? 

Any other things I should "upgrade"?  I don't care much about the shape issues pointed out in my previous thread.  Do the exhaust need "upgrading"  

The exhaust nozzles definitely need to be updated……highly recommend the KA nozzles!  They’re excellent! 

22 hours ago, ORANGF15Guy said:

The exhaust nozzles definitely need to be updated……highly recommend the KA nozzles!  They’re excellent! 

I'd be interested to know if anybody has actually installed the KA nozzles on the GWH kit, and if so, how it was done.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

First off, I am nowhere near an expert modeler, nor do I have any knowledge on the actual F-15C - just love to look at this beautiful jet!

I have an old(er) 1/48 scale F-15C kit by Fujimi.  The box is open but I haven't opened the plastic bags. The detail, especially in the cockpit and the ejection seat appears to be lacking.  Does anyone know of after-market accessories to enhance this kit, or am I better off going to a more updated kit like the GWH version?  Any guidance or opinions on this Fujimi kit would be appreciated! 

Thanks!

Larry

Hey Larry,

My preference would be either the Hasegawa or GWH kit over the Fujimi kit.  The Has kit is older but good detail and the GWH kit is excellent in detail, but not without issues-canopy shape, ejection seat, nozzles.  Either will build into great looking Eagles! And there are great aftermarket sets for both kits as well if you’re into hyper  detailing and making the kits more accurate!  Hope that helps!

Brad

11 minutes ago, ORANGF15Guy said:

Hey Larry,

My preference would be either the Hasegawa or GWH kit over the Fujimi kit.  The Has kit is older but good detail and the GWH kit is excellent in detail, but not without issues-canopy shape, ejection seat, nozzles.  Either will build into great looking Eagles! And there are great aftermarket sets for both kits as well if you’re into hyper  detailing and making the kits more accurate!  Hope that helps!

Brad

I'd be interested in knowing what aftermarket nozzle sets exist that will work with the GWH kit. I've got a set from KA, but it doesn't appear that they'll install easily, or am I mistaken in that impression?

Thanks, Pip

57 minutes ago, seawinder said:

I'd be interested in knowing what aftermarket nozzle sets exist that will work with the GWH kit. I've got a set from KA, but it doesn't appear that they'll install easily, or am I mistaken in that impression?

Thanks, Pip

I'll second that request.  I've got 3 GWH F-15s, none of which I have built yet, and I have the KA exhaust for all of them, and if there are any tricks for installing those exhaust nozzles in the GWH models, I'd be grateful for any info about how to accomplish it.

Edited by Curt B
On 6/21/2022 at 12:21 PM, Honza K. said:

Hello, check it here

Wing pylons, centerline pylon, Tail antena and ballast. And Airbrake is in progress.

QbMc8ob.jpg

Do you know if this company makes any upgrade kits for the 1/48 scale Hasegawa F-18D Night Attack Hornet?

Thanks

Jeff

3 hours ago, seawinder said:

Thanks, Pip

I am currently working on two GWH F-15C’s and I am using a set of KA nozzles and a set of Reskit nozzles.  Both fit the GWH kit and I have dry fitted each to verify!  It appears to me that both sets will fit easily.  I will say that the KA set is the way to go if you don’t want to attach all of the actuators to the nozzle, like the Reskit set!

12 minutes ago, ORANGF15Guy said:

I am currently working on two GWH F-15C’s and I am using a set of KA nozzles and a set of Reskit nozzles.  Both fit the GWH kit and I have dry fitted each to verify!  It appears to me that both sets will fit easily.  I will say that the KA set is the way to go if you don’t want to attach all of the actuators to the nozzle, like the Reskit set!

Outstanding news and info, thank you!  When I'd first seen the KA nozzles with the petal actuators, I was sold on them!!  Fantastically detailed items, for sure.  I'm glad they are an easy install, though they would be worth whatever work was necessary if the plastic  needed to be modified in some way to be able to include them.  Again, thanks for the update/info!  Would love to see your F-15s when they are done, or even as the are in progress.  I have many other models in progress that I should complete before even thinking about starting any of my F-15s (2 F-15Cs and 1 F-15E, all GWH), but would love to see how you're doing...my apologies to the OP for diverting his thread...

Edited by Curt B
12 hours ago, ORANGF15Guy said:

+1 for the Reskit nozzles.  KA is good too, but I had an issue with their B-1B nozzles showing up distorted due to poor packaging (too tight).

Avoid Aires nozzles at all costs.  They have shrinkage issues these days and I've found several of their detail sets to be massively undersized.  They also have a habit of recycling their masters that were meant for another kit.  This tends to cause significant fit issues.

14 hours ago, markiii said:

Metallic Details has the upgraded cockpit, along with some launch rails and nozzles.

I may have made a mistake saying Metallic Details have a cockpit upgrade (thought I saw it listed somewhere). Maybe it was QS I had seen.