MH-60 Black Hawk Main Landing Gear

Hey all,

I'm building the MH-60L Blackhawk and plan on displaying as "in-flight". Does anyone know what is the extension length of the main landing gear vertical strut while flying? (as in how many inches does the main vertical strut extend when the main landing gear wheels are unloaded hanging in the air?) Cheers

image.thumb.png.6c455bd1ea7307a2992a3cc0723d88ee.png

Not sure of the actual strut extension in inches but if you drew a line flat across the belly from gear to gear, the top of each tire would be 4 to 5 inches below that line.

I know it might be hard to picture so I’ll see if I can find a reference for you.

This may help.  It looks to be about 6 inches of in-flight drop to me.

142284196_UH-601.thumb.jpg.f9c99489c818f966cb765d60b46b6233.jpg

Did you notice no pilots in the left hand pic?  Interestingly enough, it is from a DARPA test of an unmanned Black Hawk.

https://theaviationist.com/2022/02/10/lets-talk-about-the-first-unmanned-flight-for-uh-60-black-hawk-in-optionally-piloted-configuration/

Edited by HeavyArty

Years ago I worked a project collecting data for a flight simulator on a Seahawk for a foreign navy and we measured the full droop exposed shiny part of strut around  16.4".  Depending on weight the exposed shiny part was around 7-8" sitting on the ground.

Edited by Crash Test Dummy

Go take a look at Pete Fleischmann's HH-60 build over on LSP. He has an in-flight diorama and there you can see the strut extension. 

I'm a former UH-60 maintenance crew chief and a modeler and wanting to know the strut extension at fly is a little AMS, but it's your model. 

I can guarantee you no one will notice if you have the correct LG stance at fly unless you don't have one at all.

PS-- Don't forget to extend the tail landing gear strut as well.

Tim