F-15 LAU-114 sidewinder position

Hello all, I am modelling an early F-15A and was wondering the position for AIM-9s on the early wing launchers (LAU-114). I would like some photos if possible. Also any references for which Sidewinder variants are compatible with the LAU-114 on the 15A would be useful to me as well.

Thanks, Zebra

Edited by MrZebra
On 6/26/2022 at 12:11 PM, Murph said:

F-15As initially carried the AIM-9P and then the AIM-9L.

Regards,

Murph

If I'm not mistaken, as implied by the suffix letters it was actually the AIM-9J that was used by the very early F-15s, quickly supplanted in the late 70s by the AIM-9L as the first "all aspect" Sidewinder (i.e. able to lock on a target from the front, not just the exhaust).

The AIM-9J and later AIM-9N and P variants are virtually identical as far as modelers are concerned, so easy to mix those up!

On 6/28/2022 at 9:11 AM, Quixote74 said:

If I'm not mistaken, as implied by the suffix letters it was actually the AIM-9J that was used by the very early F-15s, quickly supplanted in the late 70s by the AIM-9L as the first "all aspect" Sidewinder (i.e. able to lock on a target from the front, not just the exhaust).

I'm pretty sure @Murphflew them, so I'd take his word for it. I ran across a copy of the flight manual rom '84 tonight and it had AIM-9P variants in it's loading chart but no earlier versions. 

Having said that, here's an AIM-9E from the test program:

F-15-Stores47.jpg

And to get really archaic, live firing a Falcon.

F-15-Stores14.jpg

Edited by Crash Test Dummy
14 minutes ago, Crash Test Dummy said:

I'm pretty sure @Murphflew them, so I'd take his word for it. I ran across a copy of the flight manual rom '84 tonight and it had AIM-9P variants in it's loading chart but no earlier versions. 

Having said that, here's an AIM-9E from the test program:

F-15-Stores47.jpg

And to get really archaic, live firing a Falcon.

F-15-Stores14.jpg

As I began the post, I could be mistaken. But the alphabet and the USAF seem to agree with me:

https://www.af.mil/About-Us/Fact-Sheets/Display/Article/104557/aim-9-sidewinder/

(The linked article notes the Juliet model entering service in 1977, which suggests the E would have been standard equipment for the As in early service.)

That Falcon shot is intriguing on several levels: it's clearly not an early test, since the airframe shown is wearing Mod Eagle (not in use before the early 90s) and that plus the ET tailcode date it much later than any preliminary tests even for the C/D.  Even for a foreign user it's peculiar, AFAIK Japan is the only foreign Eagle operator that ever had Falcons in their inventory (and those were different variants and only on Phantoms early in JASDF service). My suspicion is it's a Falcon airframe being used in tests for a new seeker or other test component (e.g. AIM-9X development). Any info/backstory on this, or will I have to test my Google-fu?

@Quixote74 What I've read on AIM-9 history puts the AIM-9J seeing combat in Vietnam in '73.  

http://www.ausairpower.net/TE-Sidewinder-94.html

The follow-on version to the AIM-9E was the AIM-9J, which was rushed into the SEA theatre in July, 1972. The Juliet model saw incremental improvements to the AIM-9E design, with hybrid electronics using a mix of solid state and tube technology, and an improved control system using a longer burning gas generator for a 40 sec flight time, and more powerful actuators delivering 90 lb.ft torque to the canards. 6,700 of this subtype were eventually built or rebuilt from AIM-9Bs.

In 1973, Ford began production of an enhanced AIM-9J-1, later redesignated the AIM-9N. The November model employed a similar configuration to the Juliet, but the three main printed circuit boards were substantially redesigned to improve seeker performance. Close to 7,000 of this version were built. The Hercules-Aerojet Mk.17 rocket motor was retained.

https://thecombatworkshop.blogspot.com/2017/10/sidewinder-overview-part-iv-aim-9jnp.html

AIM-9Js on an F-4D photo listed as Udorn Thailand which would put it no later than 1973

Udorn+Thailand.jpg

Also likely to be during Vietnam in 1973

usaf%2B356th_Tactical_Fighter_Squadron_Ling-Temco-Vought_A-7D-8-CV_Corsair_II_70-978.jpg

Hi Zebra,

The LAU-114 Launcher/ADU-407 Adapter configuration appears to have remained unchanged from the mid 1970s through the early 1990s on F-15A, B, C and D models, although apparently early on the Aero-3B Launcher was used too.

These drawings might be helpful..

SmMKH3r.jpg

WLvMPRw.jpg

Found the answer to the Falcon mystery - surprisingly right here at ARC 😄

http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/Stories1/001-100/0015_F-15_AIM4/story0015.htm

Short version: early 90s test for a warning system on the C-141. The AIM-4 (surplus and obsolete) was fired at the Starlifter outside its range to test the new syatem's ability to detect the incoming missile.