CD72136- 1/72 T-39 Sabreliner Part 1

This is terific news!  I just pre-ordered the USAF kit.  So CD72136 is Part 1?  And Part 2 is CD82137?  Possibly a Part 3?  Is this going to be a mix, or all one service?  I'd like to pitch for a SAC T-39 in 509th BW markings. I will see if I can dig up a pic for you.  K/r, Dutch 

Edited by Dutch

I always enjoyed seeing USAFE T-39As on display at airshows here in the UK - they wore four variations of schemes and markings over the years: 

Originally with DayGlo:

8334822890_904b899c5e_h.jpg

1527299-large.jpg

Later without:

33299557674_54678b3c0e_o.jpg

14977414622_553dcda049_o.jpg

With 'United States of America' titles originally using standard USAF lettering:

3242959310_841c169b42_b.jpg

6997812413_5b0d1f460f_b.jpg

Later changed to 'stylised' lettering:

31228555018_0bb867ce54_h.jpg

16156039049_91876398f2_o.jpg

There was also the occasional CONUS-based visitor:

24258888545_0858b9cd52_o.jpg

51230224922_2a4cb72296_h.jpg

Edited by andyf117

Thanks for the suggestions - I am about to finish the USAF sheet and the usual suspects (AFSC jet, one SAC example, white/blue 1405 ABW jet etc., one camouflaged example etc.) are all in there.  Just give me a few days to survive the tsunami of orders I need to ship for the last batch of releases, and I will post profiles.

Picking options for the Navy/Marines sheet will be harder as there is a lot more variety here - we'll see which ones will end up on the sheet.

@Andy! Ooh! Where are my sunglasses!

@Kursad, Any hint when the next releases will be? july?  I won't add to your backlog now, but I am waiting for the 1/144 B-1B sheet!

Edited by Dutch
13 minutes ago, Dutch said:

@Kursad, Any hint when the next releases will be? july?  I won't add to your backlog now, but I am waiting for the 1/144 B-1B sheet!

I got a deluge of orders for the last batch of releases and I am still struggling to ship everything, so I don't think I will be able to release the new batch in early July as planned. I will be on vacation outside the US for most of July so it increasingly looks like the B-1B/F-22 sheets will be coming in August.

36 minutes ago, KursadA said:

I got a deluge of orders for the last batch of releases and I am still struggling to ship everything, so I don't think I will be able to release the new batch in early July as planned. I will be on vacation outside the US for most of July so it increasingly looks like the B-1B/F-22 sheets will be coming in August.

Guessing that means the 1/72 versions of the two H-53 sheets won't be appearing until August at the earliest, maybe later?

You know I'm eagerly awaiting getting my hands on those!

@Dutch- I said it was gaudy! 🤣

Edited by andyf117

Wiki has some nice T-39 photos in their photo library.  Even one with a TAC lightning bolt on the tail!  And two b&w photos of "Promiscuous Princess" T-39A-1NA 60-3478 in Europe circa 1961.

Kursad, can you add some generic numbers and TG-### to the sheet so we can make any aircraft, if desired?

Oh, BTW, my Sword T-39A kit was delivered yesterday. What a jewel! I guess I can scrap the old Airmodel vac shape now.

Edited by Dutch
1 hour ago, Dutch said:

Oh, BTW, my Sword T-39A kit was delivered yesterday. What a jewel! I guess I can scrap the old Airmodel vac shape now.

As tempting as the Sword kit is, I think I'll stick with my Airmodel vacuform - at some point I will complete it, along with the Jetstar and a couple of C-12s...

....I nearly bought another vac Sabreliner off eBay a while ago, as it was going very cheap - except that I forgot when it was ending, and didn't place a bid!

The AF Instrument Test Centre bird in the Wiki photos is very nice...

Edited by andyf117
6 hours ago, Dutch said:

Wiki has some nice T-39 photos in their photo library.  Even one with a TAC lightning bolt on the tail!  And two b&w photos of "Promiscuous Princess" T-39A-1NA 60-3478 in Europe circa 1961.

Kursad, can you add some generic numbers and TG-### to the sheet so we can make any aircraft, if desired?

wow - this one is nice. I will need to find a close-up of the badge?

1 hour ago, KursadA said:

wow - this one is nice. I will need to find a close-up of the badge?

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/lrYAAOSwq19XC8d6/s-l500.jpg

The colour in the '75' part is even, just a lighting effect makes it look uneven in a few spots...

Other side of 160053:

CT-39G++160053+%2528cn+306-104%2529++USN

Enlargeable close-up of the forward fuselage marking:

DN-ST-93-01585.jpeg

Edited by andyf117

Those are very nice markings for the USNR 75th Anniversary. Please note that the aircraft is a CT-39G, based on the Sabreliner 60 series, which has a 3ft, 2in fuselage stretch and five windows per side, versus two or three for the standard T-39A-F/N which was based on the original which equals the civil series 40.  So maybe Sword will release a stretched version of a G, who knows!  Only USN & USMC flew it

Here are some sprue shots of the kit

Edited by Dutch
added link

Five options each on both CD72136 (USAF) and CD72137 (Navy). The main sheets are printed by Microscale, there is a small, Cartograf-printed sheet with stencils, common markings and some intricate badges.

These will be limited-run sheets of 250 copies each - make sure you get yours as soon as the preorders are up sometime in mid to late August.

cd72136.jpg cd72136b.jpg

56 minutes ago, bluedot25 said:

Hope its not too late, but the AFCS tailflash was blue with black blocks, with the white letters on the black blocks...

Definitely not late, thanks a lot for the correction!