I am not sure if this was here already or not.

Following the Zvezda practice in the past decade or so of releasing photo of the box, test build, decal sheet . . .  I would say the kit will be out in a week or two.

wiszGdm.jpg

It was obvious that Zvezda will follow up earlier 48th scale Hind kits with other versions also. This time the Mi-35, which is basically a rebirth or rethink of the original idea with new electronics and changed structural elements.

On the outside it looks like a Christmas tree with all sorts of bits and pieces handing on it in comparison to the original family of Mi-24 helicopters.

PmLcSoD.jpg

Amd9IuQ.jpg

An interesting path was taken by Zvezda with the decal sheet and the box-art. In view of the bloody war in Ukraine and the role taken by the Hinds the box art shows rather a Syrian scene. (Not to say that it is less bloody or deadly in any way!) All the ID’s (like red stars or Russian AF markings and airframe numbers) are painted out on the artwork, the way they were in Syria (and in most cases in Ukraine).

Q1ssAi9.jpg

On the other hand they are provided on the decal sheet. But nothing for the current Ukrainian conflict. Reading local comments some questioned why the Z’ds are absent, but in my opinion this was a kind of “safe” and “neutral” choice by Zvezda. They want to keep selling their products in the West. The past weeks and months have shown that Zvezda kits in one way or the other do find their way into Western shops. Based on the layout, I would say that the decal sheet is from Begemote.

M1A0WAR.jpg

Don’t expect any changes / corrections  from the previous kits, no rivets, no internal details just as before. All the extra bits and pieces, fixed undercarriage, X shape tail rotor, new nose gun . . . are catered for.

As to the test build on the box top, it is what it is, just a build to show what is inside the box. One should not pay any attention to it! Same principle as with some Western manufacturers in the past. Was it Revell or Airfix who had photos of built kits on the box for a time?

GtcZWlk.jpg

yLwPR0W.jpg

ZSHYJW4.jpg

The Mi-35 is definitely not for me, for several reasons, but I would love to build a Mi-24D in our own colours, hope one day it will also be released!!!

I know Eduard . . . but that is only a stop-gap solution and also very expensive one.   

Best regards

Gabor

Thank you, Gabor, for this nice preview. Isn‘t your country currently operating Mi-35 in these dark grey „colours“?

The lack of detail on the Zvezda Mi-24 kits can be remedied with tons of aftermarket stuff, however the initially cheap kit will be a pricey affair afterwards. The shape of the Zvezda kit itself looks reasonably accurate and is a good basis for further detailling.

Currently, I am struggling with the Eduard riveting decals on my 1:48 Zvezda Mi-24V, which btw will be in Czechoslovak AF markings of 1991, just after the fall of the iron curtain. This is my very first helicopter model, even in child age, I avoided helos whenever I could. However, after some visits in Eastern Europe during the past 30+ years,  the Mi-24 virus has affected me and I waited such a long time to have a good kit in 1:48 of this beast in my hands and in my opinion, the Zvezda Mi-24V and this Mi-35 generally are reasonable kits, even if they are lacking detail.

At last, I have to correct myself. It just came in my mind that Hungary currently is operating the Mi-24P alongside a handful Mi-24V, isn‘t it?

36 minutes ago, falcon91352 said:

Thank you, Gabor, for this nice preview. Isn‘t your country currently operating Mi-35 in these dark grey „colours“?

The lack of detail on the Zvezda Mi-24 kits can be remedied with tons of aftermarket stuff, however the initially cheap kit will be a pricey affair afterwards. The shape of the Zvezda kit itself looks reasonably accurate and is a good basis for further detailling.

Currently, I am struggling with the Eduard riveting decals on my 1:48 Zvezda Mi-24V, which btw will be in Czechoslovak AF markings of 1991, just after the fall of the iron curtain. This is my very first helicopter model, even in child age, I avoided helos whenever I could. However, after some visits in Eastern Europe during the past 30+ years,  the Mi-24 virus has affected me and I waited such a long time to have a good kit in 1:48 of this beast in my hands and in my opinion, the Zvezda Mi-24V and this Mi-35 generally are reasonable kits, even if they are lacking detail.

At last, I have to correct myself. It just came in my mind that Hungary currently is operating the Mi-24P alongside a handful Mi-24V, isn‘t it?

Yeah Zvezda go on the idea that the kit should be released with a relatively low price for all, then those who want the extra detail can add it.

1 hour ago, falcon91352 said:

First, you are right we only have a handful of operational Mi-24P (all of them ex GDR airframes) and few Mi-24V’s still in service. For how long is a good question. They were overhauled in Russia and in the current war situation there is absolutely no way of maintaining them for a considerable time, spare parts supply, weapons supply are all out of question. So after they are out we will have the Airbus toy helicopters to do the same job.  : (  : (

I had a closer look at the Zvezda Mi-24V kit in the past (don’t have it my self) and it is an excellent starting point for a superb kit. I personally know the Zvezda designer of the kit and his previous works with the 72nd scale Hinds. He did an excellent job here and a lot of original blue prints were used. This is why this kit has all those subtle airframe features that other manufactures have no knowledge what so ever!

With him we do agree to disagree on the approach of “no rivets, naked cockpit” on this kit. Actually he does as told and if there is a requirement for rivets from Zvezda management, he will do it perfectly. It is only a question of the tool making department and the financial cost and time spent on making production tools with rivets on it.    

The kit is excellent BUT

As you say and the way it was discussed (even on Zvezdas forum in Russia) before in the case of the Hind Zvezda had a misunderstanding of marketing verses costs. Almost everyone (apart from Zvezda people) think that this concept was a mistake!

You don’t make a kit like this in 2022. This is my opinion.

Do you have problems with the Eduard rivet decals?

There is a Russian modeller building the Zvezda Mi-24V and he had the ARMA rivet decals. Well his experience with it was not too positive. If I understand right it is more like the HGW type of decal where one has to remove the “backing” film. He had absolutely no luck with it. The carrier film was lifting the rivet decals, even if stuck properly to the surface later during painting and masking it lifted again. The Russian rivet decal even if much cheaper in comparison with the Eduard version is extremely time consuming and complicated as it  has almost all rivet lines as separate items.

So which is better??? Hard to say. Actually on Russian forums many complain that the Arma decal is simply not available, it was just a short time bonus for innitial Zvezda kit release.

Do we want rivets on this 48th scale Hind? In my opinion they should have them, but how much work in the end??????????????????

I believe the Zvezda idea about this kit fails here! I know there will be a lot of kids who will build the cheap kit and be happy with it. But you will have many more serious modellers who will be very frustrated with all the extra work needed as well as the overall price tag of the final kit.

Here you will have a frustrating feeling associated with Zvezda and this is a very bad drawback in my opinion in company image and marketing terms!!!

Is it worth it (to put all the extra work and cost into aftermarkets) ??? 

I already have the Eduard rivet decal and will be on a look out for an Overtrees version from them since all the other extra crap in an Edu box will be of absolutely no use in building the kit. Will have to source myself appropriate Hungarian decals and particular details for our own heli’s. Not to mention all the time. I rather spend more development time on my projects like some extras for the S-199 kit and the 72nd scale MiG-21 bis kit update.

In time it will be the turn of the Hind on the work bench, but it is far in the future.

Best regards

Gabor

Yes, it is a pity that Zvezda released the Hind kits naked without all those positive rivets, which is a prominent feature of these helicopters. Beside this, the Mi-24V also shows a plethora of negative rivet lines, which are easily replicated by Rosie the Riveter.

Some months ago, I have ordered the Arma riveting decals at a Russian ebay trader, but those never arrived to my disappointment. Accordingly, I was lucky that Eduard announced such decals under the name of Eddie the Riveter and those really took a while before release. However, these are not bargain, but worth the wait.

During Mosonshow 2022 I precautionally aquired two sets and got some hints by Jakub Nademlejnsky from Eduard how to work with them. My Mi-24V was already started in June 2021 and one of my first attempts beside the work in the cockpit and cargo bay were the replication of the negative rivet lines. All this was interrupted on 15 July, when the house of my parents and my working place was severly damaged by the flooding in the Western part of Germany. By the end of last year, I was able to restart the Mi-24 again.

In May, I made a lot of trials with the Eddie riveting decals, while having a spare in the back for replacing any loss. In theory, the application of the riveting decals is easy. You have to cut out a predetermined piece of the decal sheet, dab it with water on the back side and slide it on the appropriate area on the model. But the reality sometimes doesn‘t look this easy. Working with large pieces on an even surface ist not a real problem, however small air bubbles often are gathering under the carrier film, which can be wiped away with a flat brush or a mini cotton swab. The potential problem here is, that the carrier film is quite flexible and if there are too many bubbles to mend, the film is stretching which can cause uneven rivet lines. On areas on the fuselage with a rounded diameter, the fit of some decals leave more or less to be desired. Here, the decals are wrinkle up sometimes, which luckily is not too much of a disaster. Decal softeners can be used, but are not really necessary.

The key is patience and to work step by step. Every piece of rivet decals should dry overnight thoroughly. The negative rivet lined made by Rosie the Riveter will be covered by Eddie’s carrier film, but can be redone with a pin, while stiching every negative rivet piece by piece. An essential step afterwards is the strengthening process by an overspray with thinned Mr. Surfacer 1500, a misted application first, followed by a more wet one. After another day of drying, the restoration process can start, if necessary. This work has to be done by means of utter care. For this work, I made some micro sanders consisting of 1200 and 1500 grid sandpaper sticked on small pieces of Styrodur foam with cyano glue. Those micro sanders should be not larger than 2 x 2.5mm and by aid of a tweezer and a drop of water moved over the defect area on the model surface until the flaw is minimized. If the defect still is visible, I carefully spray a small amount of thick Alclad Black Primer over the defect and repeat the micro sanding process.

I must confess, that the combination of Rosie with Eddie means a lot of work, but hopefully it will be rewarded by a nice surface which does the original justice. I really would like to do a tutorial, but unfortunately I am still lacking time. May be at a later stage.

Edited by falcon91352

Hi Falcon91352,

Interesting to read your experience and I am sure it will be of help to others too. Actually Jakub also had a small "step-by-step" of the decal application in INFO Eduard (I think in May issue). 

Thanks for sharing!

I was there on Saturday at Moson, several times visiting Jakub and his Father and also having a closer look at the Hind test with the decal rivets they had on show. We  could have meet there.

Best regards

Gabor