TAMIYA SUPERMARINE SPITFIRE MK.I 1/48

Howdy all,

Now my months long Eduard P-51 is in the display case, this will be my next project. The last project was rather difficult with multiple set backs so now I look forward to the trouble free, cussing free, hardcore drinking free Tamiya excellent engineering and quality.  Dai

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by dai phan

Well it's a start. I have a feeling this is going to be a good one. A word on early Spitfire colours, if it's not already too late, only the actual cockpit is grey green colour. Immediately behind the pilots seat (and forward of the instrument panel) is Silver/Aluminium, diag below shows it better. The destructions have it correct. It wasn't until later mark Spitfires that went to all interior grey green. The pilots seat is a brown/red colour, being made of a pressed paper/resin material.

Undercarriage bays are generally (but not exclusively) the same colour as the underside of the wings, (ie Sky, Medium Sea Grey etc) but could also be silver/alu. Legs and doors could also be painted the same colour as the u/s, but also left alu/silver. Again the instructions are correct.

Apologies if you knew this, and the grey/green is just an undercoat or similar. 

26034_61119-10.jpg

See the source image

Edited by barkin mad
14 hours ago, barkin mad said:

Well it's a start. I have a feeling this is going to be a good one. A word on early Spitfire colours, if it's not already too late, only the actual cockpit is grey green colour. Immediately behind the pilots seat (and forward of the instrument panel) is Silver/Aluminium, diag below shows it better. The destructions have it correct. It wasn't until later mark Spitfires that went to all interior grey green. The pilots seat is a brown/red colour, being made of a pressed paper/resin material.

Undercarriage bays are generally (but not exclusively) the same colour as the underside of the wings, (ie Sky, Medium Sea Grey etc) but could also be silver/alu. Legs and doors could also be painted the same colour as the u/s, but also left alu/silver. Again the instructions are correct.

Apologies if you knew this, and the grey/green is just an undercoat or similar. 

26034_61119-10.jpg

See the source image

Incredible work you have. Mine is no where ... Thank YOU for the informative info!  Dai

Edited by dai phan

Hi all,

Started working on the cockpit tonight. The fit and engineering is marvelous as always from Tamiya. The tolerance of the parts is so fine that a layer of paint will affect the fit. The PE parts in the cockpit add way more work than needed be and really do not provide any benefits. Like compass holder, pedal straps can be molded in plastic and save me some frustrations. The mandatory use of PE will likely put some people off and it did. Later releases did away with these PE parts. Dai

291907915_5252294914860756_2132371844492921937_n.jpg

292560728_5252294531527461_6524539868475186946_n.jpg

Edited by dai phan

Hi all,

Everything is primed and ready for the main colors. Excellent engineering and fit. The alierons have more play than should be resulting in unscale gaps at both ends. However this is very minor and likely will not be noticable. Dai

299428FD-EF1E-4F14-8C29-9775FFBD0F86.jpeg

Edited by dai phan
On 7/8/2022 at 4:05 AM, dai phan said:

Incredible work you have. Mine is no where ... Thank YOU for the informative info!  Dai

Sadly, not my work. The seat is a pic of a real one & the cockpit was just to show where the division in colours is.

Yours, however, is of a good std. Certainly Spitfire shaped, and getting there. Hope the rest of the build goes well.

--------------

Edited by barkin mad

Hello all,

After spending time to re-scribe the panel line, actual photos of the Mk I do not show this line to be there. Why Tamiya provides a seperate insert is beyond me. Different versions perhaps? When you sand the primer you must be VERY careful that you do not remove raised details by mistake. There are many raised rivets, bumps, panel lines... They are small and very hard to detect. One careless swipe will do irreverrible damage.  Dai

292686664_5259678957455685_4887722491882982572_n.jpg

293064556_5259678947455686_6304750873254299316_n (1).jpg

Edited by dai phan

Greetings...

I just ordered the CMK engine set designed for the older Tamiya tooling. I look at the fuselage halves of the old and new tooling and there are differences. However since it is made by Tamiya the dimensions should be identical or very close to it. It is shipped from EU so it will be 2-3 weeks before I can start working on it. I am not aware of any builds on the Net that ultilize this set with the new tooling Spitire. Dai 

017479.jpg

017495_05_073583.jpg

7604.jpg

Edited by dai phan

Howdy all...

Cut out the fuselage to accept the engine. Although the set was designed for the older tooling, I think with some modifications if needed should fit with the new version. When you cut give yourself at least 1 mm from the panel lines then use sandpaper to refine the cut. As careful as I am, I still have to shim one area due to over trimming. Dai

293811688_5265570843533163_1445846513623162792_n.jpg

Hello dear modelers...

The scheme I choose will be the pre-war Spitfire  (Robert Tuck FZ-L) and the decals are included in the kit. The BOB scheme is too common for my taste. Dai

gettyimages-515167412-1024x1024.jpg

Edited by dai phan

Hi all,

I can see a potential problem here. There are many raised details and bumps where the roundels go on the bottom wing. I do not think any amount of Solvaset will make it conform so likely I will need to mask and paint. I welcome any suggestions/feedbacks on those who had worked on this kit. I think that is the reason why many modelers opt for the version w/o the bottom wing roundels. Dai 

293621874_5278524892237758_6015191888539396479_n.jpg

Edited by dai phan

Greeting Sunday friends...

I ordered the camo and roundel masks as I think the decals will not conform to the raised details. Looking at FL-L/O/P you can see the hard edge camo and the patterns look identical. That support the notion masks were used in applying the camo. And hence accounts for the hard edge. Dai 

PS: I also need help on the right colors of the roundels. For Tamiya and Mr Color, can you please let me know the call outs for the red and blue colors? Thanks Dai 

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600 (1).jpg

Edited by dai phan

For Roundel Blue you have Mr Color Cobalt Blue 80 (Gunze 35) No Tamiya colour, there is X03, which is Royal Blue, and is close, but not the right colour imo.

Red could be covered by Tamiya XF07. Which is close to insignia red. Or you could try XF64, which is a Red/Brown. Mr Color for this is Russet 81.

Some say the prewar roundel colours were brighter than wartime ones though, whether this is correct for this a/c, I know not. XF07 should fit for this if you choose to go down this route.

Usual caveats apply, test you are happy with the look of these before applying to your kit.

---------------

4 hours ago, barkin mad said:

For Roundel Blue you have Mr Color Cobalt Blue 80 (Gunze 35) No Tamiya colour, there is X03, which is Royal Blue, and is close, but not the right colour imo.

Red could be covered by Tamiya XF07. Which is close to insignia red. Or you could try XF64, which is a Red/Brown. Mr Color for this is Russet 81.

Some say the prewar roundel colours were brighter than wartime ones though, whether this is correct for this a/c, I know not. XF07 should fit for this if you choose to go down this route.

Usual caveats apply, test you are happy with the look of these before applying to your kit.

---------------

I will use the kit's fuselage and top wing decals. Luckily Tamiya provides the red circles for the lower roundels so I now only need to match the blue. Tamiya also have a cut out for the largest and tallest bumps so maybe I may not need to mask and try to match the color. Dai 

293430297_5280348865388694_2608041967391676475_n.jpg

Edited by dai phan

Greetings...

Instead of mixing Tamiya paints per instruction, I opt for the colors called out for Mr Color paints on the Eduard Mk1 kit. The dark earth is C369 (BS381C/450 RAF Aircraft). To me it does not seem brown enough (when I look at the builds on the Net) and I would like to know if this color call out is accurate on the Eduard's instruction sheet? I await your expert replies. Dai 

Hello all...

Painted the odds and ends of the kit. Tamiya kit goes so fast together that you will get to the painting stage in no time. Waiting for the masks and engine. Dai 

293798236_5285812511508996_1197799302454415258_n.jpg

Edited by dai phan
On 7/17/2022 at 10:23 AM, barkin mad said:

---------------

The red became bright red after the war in the late forties if I recall correctly by reading on the Net. The kit's red is more brown red so XF-7 would be too bright for it IMO.  Dai 

Edited by dai phan

I am aware the of the post war roundel colours, however, this may say otherwise for prewar use, certainly brighter colours were used on the 'tween the wars silver biplanes, Gloster supposedly painted all the Hurricanes it built in brighter/lighter pre-war roundel colours. Pic 1 shows a Battle trainer in Canada. Pic 2 is a pre-war Spitfire, which probably is in the duller colours, also shows the Dark Earth quite well.

At the end of the day unless you have a colour pic of your chosen subject, or were there, no one can prove you wrong & it's your choice & model to do it your way.

00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000562_zps5x5nigj3.jpg

2527521628_b66bedd8c5_z.jpg

Edited by barkin mad