MER and TER Colors during Vietnam War

Good Evening everyone - 

I have a quick question about the colors of MERs and TERs during the Vietnam War. Navy carried items were obviously white, but I am having a hard time determining the color of the USAF ones. In all the photos I have, they appear to be the same underside gray as the F-4Es. Is this correct or are they white for the USAF also?

Thanks for the help!

Mike

TERs were usually white, although I found a photo of an F-4D with a black one. The other one wasn't visible.

MERs were also white, but the ones intended for the F-105 centerline station were painted black to distinguish them from MERs intended for other aircraft. I can't recall why the Thud needed its own dedicated MER.

Ben

4 hours ago, Ben Brown said:

TERs were usually white, although I found a photo of an F-4D with a black one. The other one wasn't visible.

MERs were also white, but the ones intended for the F-105 centerline station were painted black to distinguish them from MERs intended for other aircraft. I can't recall why the Thud needed its own dedicated MER.

Ben

The attachment point was different as the MER was attached, basically, to the bomb bay door.

Cheers :cheers:

Itch

I’ve always wondered at exactly how the pylon attached. I assume the bomb bay doors themselves were structurally stressed to be able to carry a loaded MER? I thought they usually carried a fuel tank in the bomb bay, which would prevent the pylon from being attached to the bomb bay piston (not sure what it was called). I’ve never been able to find any pictures showing exactly what the pylon attached to.

Ben

I would not say black was the only colour used there are many and i mean many images of silver MER’s in use in Vietnam by 105’s on center lines.

The MER attached to an adapter rail which attached to multiple points on the doors.

There was one large central attachment point supporting most of the load with others for stabilisation.

The doors occasionally needed reinforcement straps in some cases with large loads to avoid G issues causing fatigue problems. They are frequently not seen so i  assume it was causing a longer term issue on older aircraft hence why the straps are not seen more often. 

The straps tended to appear later during Vietnam.

HTH.

D508632D-EF92-4BB6-9893-E784C9245DB5.jpeg

7457A617-5081-477A-98C1-62E37E726E14.jpeg

FE16A0ED-B0E1-4AB2-9CC7-7C1D95F78E06.jpeg

8AE752FA-DA23-4727-B4E9-4ED13139AD1B.jpeg

49EFAC5F-BE8A-4E46-A575-621AD96FA30C.jpeg

7D6A3E00-CC7D-4941-B321-8E5E2E7B4DC4.jpeg

8D7629DD-95C4-4FF6-B39C-35B72F4261CC.jpeg

23 hours ago, Ben Brown said:

I’ve always wondered at exactly how the pylon attached. I assume the bomb bay doors themselves were structurally stressed to be able to carry a loaded MER? I thought they usually carried a fuel tank in the bomb bay, which would prevent the pylon from being attached to the bomb bay piston (not sure what it was called). I’ve never been able to find any pictures showing exactly what the pylon attached to.

Ben

Ben,

As shown in dehowie's post early on there were exterior straps fixed to the outside of the fuselage along with internal bracing. Then the internal bracing was beefed up and the external straps were eliminated. The 390 gal bomb bay fuel tank was fillable from the single point and the area was rarely opened. The piston, we referred to it as the "kicker" (because it would kick the device out of the a/c) was disabled when they installed the tank so you couldn't accidently mash it into the closed door. Also with a full load of 6 Mk117 750 pounders we were G limited to 4.

Cheers :cheers:

Itch

Edited by Cajun21