Early Vietnam War ECM Pods (for F-4C Phantoms)

Hi Folks -   

I'm building an F-4C circa mid to late '67.     Trying to figure out what I need to use for an ECM pod.   The one picture of my subject aircraft shows a pod hanging under the inner starboard wing pylon, painted white with the upper surfaces in green.   For initial options,  I've got the GT Resins "ALQ-71 Short Tail" pod and the pod that comes in the Tamiya kit.

IMG-0795.jpg

CgiKUGm.jpg

I've yet to see a picture of an F-4C/D with the "short-tail" pod.   Would I be better served going with the kit pod?   I tried to read up on early war ECM pods but it's extremely confusing.  Far as I can tell, the first pods (QRC-160) could only be mounted to the outboard wing pylons and were wind-powered by small blades on the nose.   A bit later, the QRC-160 was upgraded to use power from the aircraft and could now be hung on the inner wing pylons, so the ram air turbine in the nose went away.   This pod later morphed into the ALQ-71, which I think was pretty similar to the QRC pod.     

Bottom line - I don't think the short-tail pod is appropriate.   If I go with the kit pod, do I need to make any changes to it?

Any and all info is much appreciated. 

11bee,

When I was there, 66 thru 68, we carried the ALQ 87 -1 & -2's. The F-4's I saw all seemed to carry the same pod as us in the port forward missile well and a special adapter to carry it in the well. Granted it was 50+ years ago but some memories are still sharp.

Cheers :cheers:

Itch

As found on the web:

The ALQ-87 pod entered service around 1968, and F-4Cs going North ca.65-67 would generally have used the earlier ALQ-71, which could be mounted under the outboard wing pylon (e.g. as in Operation Bolo).

Good info is so hard to find about ECM pods in general, even more the earlier ones.