Opinions wanted - GWH and Tamiya Kit vs. Aftermarket Seats

Hey All,

I have 2 GWH F-15C kits, and a GWH F-15E kit, plus 2 Tamiya F-14A Late and a Tamiya F-4B (all 1/48, of course), and I am looking for opinions on seats.  For the best possible accuracy, I'd like to know whether people think the kit seats are adequate, or have (or would you) get aftermarket seats, and if so, which ones.  I've read that the only 'drop in' replacement seats, that is, without need of modification for fit, are Eduard or Phase Hangar, but I don't know if that's true, or if it is, which seats are being referred to (part numbers).  I am planning to use Quinta cockpit sets for all of these planes, if that matters at all with respect to 'interface issues' in the cockpits.  I've looked at the kit seats, and they look pretty good to me, and I'm not what I would call a 'rivet counter' in terms of insane accuracy, though I would prefer to have my models as accurate as possible without resorting to too much goofiness.  

So, any thoughts?

BEST seats for the Tamiya F-4B  IF you want the early-5 MB seats pre-1968  .....Hypersonic makes both USN and USAF versions of the early MB -5 seats.

Now if you are doing a later F-4B then many manufactuers make decent MB-7 seats.

Steve, 

• 1 year later...

I started this thread over a year ago, and I haven't built my F-15 models yet, so I was taking a look at whether any new aftermarket seats have come on the market since I asked my original question.  It looks like MCC will be introducing a pair of ACES II seats for the F-15E sometime in 2023.  To me, that's great news.  I have a pair of Quickboost seats for my F-15E, and honestly, I'm not terribly thrilled with them.  However, I did get some MCC seats for one of my other planes (can't recall which one, now), but the detail is spectacular!  I'd be willing to delay my F-15E build (if I was planning to start it soon) just for MCC seats.  Just thought I'd mention this in case anyone else had the same question I did.

Edited by Curt B
11 hours ago, Curt B said:

I started this thread over a year ago, and I haven't built my F-15 models yet, so I was taking a look at whether any new aftermarket seats have come on the market since I asked my original question.  It looks like MCC will be introducing a pair of ACES II seats for the F-15E sometime in 2023.  To me, that's great news.  I have a pair of Quickboost seats for my F-15E, and honestly, I'm not terribly thrilled with them.  However, I did get any MCC seat for one of my other planes (can't recall which one, now, but the detail is spectacular!  I'd be willing to delay my F-15E build (if I was planning to start it soon) just for MCC seats.  Just thought I'd mention this in case anyone else had the same question I did.

oh this is good to know! i just pre-ordered a set of their F-4 seats on HLJ and didn't know they were making some for the F-15 too. 

i'd thought of just going with the kit seat for the GWH F-15C since i'd bought the Quinta set, that way I could just use those seatbelts, but the kit seat is so stinkin HUGE and i think it looks too goofy to be salvageable. 

Edited by annie.shikinami

Which HLJ seat for the Phantom.  I highly rec. Hypersonic as the MOST accurate for early Phantom F-4B's

https://www.hypersonicmodels.com/product/martin-baker-mk-h5-ejection-seats

Check out he even has the differences between USAF & USN H5 seats!!  The seats on the HLJ site are H7's which were only put into Phantom after 1968-9 period?!

http://www.ejectionsite.com/f4seat.htm

You did NOT specify what F-4B you were modeling???  Era??

I think the best H7 seat for the Phantom is Sparkit:

https://sparkit-models.com/en/cockpit/52-f-4-phantom-ii-mkh7-ejection-seat-usaf-from-mid-1969-2pcs-148.html

These two are IMHO the best Phantom seats in 1/48 period.  I have had many ...even some of the above mentioned.   I posted this originally  DID you even check out Hypersonic??

Steve

Edited by scorvi
spelling
MCC 4806/4807 1/48 Martin-Baker Mk-H7 Ejection Seat for F-4 Phantom these are to me in my opinion the best seats out there. They make Navy and AF; they are 3D printed and reasonably priced. They also make seats for the F-14 both early and mid/late.

You have to go to eBay I just typed in F-4 ejection seats and thF-14 ejection seats, and they come up. I have 4 sets for the F-4 and will order them for my F-14.
I have seats by Hypersonic, Quickboost and Phase Hanger resin and to me they are not as good. Remember this is only my opinion and I'm not taking anything away from the other seats.
Hope this helps.

Bernie McKenna

My MCC seats were for the F-4, but I have to say, based on the photos posted here, that I'm going to HAVE to go with Sparkit seats!  Hadn't heard of them, but they appear even better than MCC!!  If Sparkit makes seats for the F-15C and F-15E...I'll be going with those, FO SUUUURE!!!! 😊  Still, though, the MCC seats are no slouch, either.  I'd be happy with either of them!

Edited by Curt B
48 minutes ago, Curt B said:

My MCC seats were for the F-4, but I have to say, based onthe photos posted here, that I'm going to HAVE to go with Sparkit seats!  Hadn't heard of them, but they appear even better than MCC!!  If Sparkit makes seats for the F-15C and F-15E...I'll be going with those, FO SUUUURE!!!! 😊  Still, though, the MCC seats are no slouch, either.  I'd be happy with either of them!

Curt,

So far, the Sparkit seat lineup does not include an ACES II offering - it's exclusively Martin Baker to this point. But, if you're looking to dress up a Phantom, Crusader, Mirage, Jaguar or Etendard, they've got you covered. The only drawback is the price point, at least for us CONUS dwellers, after taking into account shipping from FR.

Best of luck with your upcoming jet projects!

Rich

12 hours ago, RichB63 said:

Curt,

So far, the Sparkit seat lineup does not include an ACES II offering - it's exclusively Martin Baker to this point. But, if you're looking to dress up a Phantom, Crusader, Mirage, Jaguar or Etendard, they've got you covered. The only drawback is the price point, at least for us CONUS dwellers, after taking into account shipping from FR.

Best of luck with your upcoming jet projects!

Rich

Ahhh, thanks, Rich, for the very useful info!!  As you wrote, shipping cost is becoming the bane of online shopping!   

Sparkit is correct down to the different fittings for the the torso harness, Koch for USAF and Jet for USN. I wish those guys would do other prominent seats like MB for the Hunter, the SJU etc. BTW, I have an extra MkV if someone out there needs one cheap.

4 hours ago, RichB63 said:

Very nice Jon!

Thanks 🙂 I don't think the Eduard seats are as good as the Sparkit ones, but for being under closed canopies and at their price point, they're good enough.

Jon

5 hours ago, jonbryon said:

Thanks 🙂 I don't think the Eduard seats are as good as the Sparkit ones, but for being under closed canopies and at their price point, they're good enough.

Jon

I have Eduard Brassin seats for many of my jets, and I'd have to agree with Jon.

But, up until seeing the MCC and Sparkit seats, I thought the Brassin seats were pretty darn nice, and was happy displaying them in an open cockpit...albeit often with with some small additions, such as hydraulic lines or other cables, etc. that are rendered spectacularly on the Sparkit seat!!!!.  I guess we find what we think is best, until some other guy comes up with something obviously better.  Seeing the Sparkit product, it makes me wonder if there is no limit to how detailed 3D printed parts can go.  Up to this point, I'd thought the actuating rods on the Amigo F-15 Exhaust petals (without turkey feathers) were the ultimate.  Then came the Detail and Wonder landing gear struts, and now these seats.  Admittedly, there is a cost involved, paid in $$ when purchasing such parts, but boy, thinking about what we would have thought about scale models had that technology been around when I began building models, over 50 years ago...

Sparkit also does 3D printed parts.  I have been following with interest the build thread of the 1/48 S-3 Viking in this forum, but Sparkit has an entire engine intake and exhaust replacement/upgrade for this very model!  When I get around to my Viking, I'm going to have to give some serious thought to this set...cost be darned!

• 2 weeks later...

I FINALLY found my MCC seats after looking  up and down for them!  They were in my Meng 1/48 F-4G Wild Weasel model box!  I knew I had 'em, just  didn't recall where!