Academy 1/72 F-104C - new kit or repop?

Hmm. Yeah, it has the refueling probe shown, but the rudder is of a G/J model. The foreshortening in the painting is too extreme, making the tail look too large and nose too small. I don't know which kit it will be or if it is new, but my favorite for the C model in 1/72 scale is the Revell/Monogram.

The Revell/Monogram tooling would be my guess, its being made for both the C and G variants (with appropriate optional parts) might explain the confusion in the marketing images.

Academy's own G-model dates from their Minicraft era and is one to avoid - a poor copy of the already mediocre first-generation Hasegawa tooling (not to be confused with their excellent 2nd generation F-104 family). I picked one up years ago without knowing what to expect and was shocked to find a *swaybacked* Starfighter in the box!

12 hours ago, Paul Boyer said:

... my favorite for the C model in 1/72 scale is the Revell/Monogram.

For sure.  I just pulled one out of storage to "stick" together this morning ... to see how my F-4 3D printed exhausts fit. Short can for the 104C, and long for the G.

@Quixote74  Has Academy ever reboxed Revell/Monogram? I know they've gone the other direction.

I like the new generation Hasegawa G models because, among other things,  they have full J-79 afterburner tubes, as well as opening canopies.

Gene K

2 hours ago, GeneK said:

Has Academy ever reboxed Revell/Monogram? I know they've gone the other direction.

Not my normal scale of choice but I understood the Academy 1/32 Phantom is Revell's tooling. Not aware of other examples, but that's not to say they aren't out there.

• 3 months later...