1 hour ago, TheGloriousTachikoma said:

"New Italeri"

Aka

"We scored a deal on a production run from someone else or we bought someone else's tooling." coughkittyhawkcough 

And then they charge more than the MSRP of the kits original price.

Kittyhawk? Khmmm... Weapons bay looks different...

6572_1_KIT80102_7.jpg

8866_n.jpg

10 hours ago, TheGloriousTachikoma said:

"New Italeri"

Aka

"We scored a deal on a production run from someone else or we bought someone else's tooling." coughkittyhawkcough 

And then they charge more than the MSRP of the kits original price.

Its not KittyHawk, its their own tooling.

It should be worth a build if their 72nd scale kit is anything to go by.

Looks quite nicely detailed, especially for an Italeri kit. I would assume they've used a downscale of their 1/32 F-35A as a base to start with?

I wonder if there's a vertical fan turbines showing from the bottom grilles? Looks empty from the given photos, though I guess it's not a big deal.

Edited by ijozic
2 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

I’d say it was more likely an upscale of their 1/72 F-35B kit.  That kit also includes bomb trolleys.

I guess you're right - e.g. the nozzle detail, it looks pretty much the same.

At least they've reworked the cockpit detail as that bland one from the 1/72 kit wouldn't cut it in this scale.

Edited by ijozic
13 hours ago, TheGloriousTachikoma said:

Its also good to see that this is yet another F-35 that will need hours of careful sanding because the RAM tape is modeled as being an inch thick.

Are we sure this isn't recycled in part? It might be 100% new tooling to Italeri...

It's a 100% Italeri's own new tooling. 

1 hour ago, flybywire said:

More important question is how accurate is the new tooling. Not all new tooling equate to accuracy. 

Almost certainly not 100% accurate, but considering the price it will be quite accurate.

Anything that tries to represent the ram tape on it isnt going to be 100% accurate.

On 7/2/2022 at 12:41 AM, ijozic said:

I guess you're right - e.g. the nozzle detail, it looks pretty much the same.

At least they've reworked the cockpit detail as that bland one from the 1/72 kit wouldn't cut it in this scale.

On 7/4/2022 at 2:23 AM, flybywire said:

More important question is how accurate is the new tooling. Not all new tooling equate to accuracy. 

I will qualify my remarks by stating that I have not actually seen the kit in person, my remarks are solely based on the imges presented here but I think the kit is a complete new tool kit. The decal sheet looks very nice and the inclusion of the munitions trailers is a very nice and most welcome touch.

No kit is 100% accurate and this kit shares an error common to every other F-35 kit regarding the seat. The parabox is the early style rectangular type not the later inverted triangular type. Strictly speaking this is not an error, as early block aircraft flew this configuration but this later configuration has been in place for some time. The same configuration is also present with the aftermarket resin seats and there is no aftermarket resin option to offer this configuration. 

Regarding the weapons, the GBU-31s look okay but will need a thermal coating if they will represent USN variants (the nose cones are different as well), but the GBU-12s need more work. The tail fins seem to have vertical leading edges rather than angled ones. The bombs look like early GBU-12s based on the mk.82, again they lack the thermal coating for USN use. For UK use these are not correct as the UK uses the enhanced PaveWay iV (EP4) configuration which includes a GPS antenna above and below the  seeker section, a conduit along the body and a new saddle type hardback on top. Interestingly., the box top artwork got all these features (seat and ordnance) correct. There are aftermarket EP4s available. If you go the aftremarket weapons route this also open up the possibility to use other stores instead, GBU-39 for example.

As for the RAM tape, it is overscale and a matter of personal taste, but it should be far less prominent. The colour callouts are also wrong, although matching the colour is also problematic,

cheers,

Pappy

Edited by Pappy121
  • 1 month later...

Wasn't interested in an F-35, but given what I see on offer here, I just might get this (partly for sentimental reasons as most of the kits I made when I got into the hobby were Italeri).

Edited by ijozic

The only thing I don't understand is why a choice of straight or angled exhaust tube is included? I build in-flight models, and will have to replace the angled one with a straight one. Otherwise looking really good, also with additional gun pod that will fit nicely with the F-35C I have in the stash 🙂

On 7/3/2022 at 12:08 PM, Craig Baldwin said:

Here is a good backlit photo showing the surface detail of the actual aircraft.

282248358_549289959999962_8301848340621823992_n.png

Excellent example.  Texture not relief.  

101103-F-0990S-002.JPG

ssdn9i888v091.jpg?width=5184&format=pjpg

366b3q888v091.jpg?width=1080&crop=smart&

Increasingly it is obvious that stealth aircraft have a basic OML and a moldline 'under applique' stealth material.  And that this material is very carefully blended in with putty or some other technique, to the point where it both becomes 'GTW' very smooth _and_ changes the outline of the aircraft.

Kit makers need to be aware of this or they will get enough wrong to ruin the shape.

Acknowledging and replicating this is abouusing very fine, recessed, lines to denote major panel breaks (i.e. Academy's 1/72 F-22, Hasegawa's 1/72 F-35), coupled with the equivalent of armor modeler's anti-skid texturing on the absolute finest level possible.

I know it can be done, because I've seen it used as locators for deckhouse and guntubs etc. on naval models.  Just coarse enough not to be lost with paint but to change the reflectance pattern on the metallic schemes.

Stealth, _Is Not_ Steampunk.  No Boilerplate please.

8886290994_2bf8b4f04d_b_1.jpg?itok=NsbCw