On 8/7/2022 at 7:03 PM, Crash Test Dummy said:

My guess it's a compromise to get a nose wheel well below the cockpit with the plastic being thicker that the actual structures would be if scaled down.

The funny part is that the actual deeper section of the wheel well is forward of the cockpit so there should be plenty of space.

Maybe just lazy researchers for such “hidden” details.

On 8/23/2022 at 7:14 AM, Raptor71 said:

Once realized, if someone wants information they can contact me in private.

What I would like to see someone work on...

765022de9387d73f143a3813f3da43aa (1284×1169) (spot.im)

Whatever it is, it's becoming common enough to believe that it may be standardized as part of the F-35 Blk.4 and the F-22 MLU.  The checkerboard pattern is too small and varied in its tesselation patterns to be accomplished by hand masking or even templates alone.  It's going to have to be printed.  And it's going to be expensive when it is, especially at 1/48th and above.

As you can see, it makes the entire airframe look, not metallic but translucent blue or purple.

It's hard to imagine doing an entire airframe in decal, especially one compromised by so much raised RAM paneling.  Rather like the 'Hentai' kits from Hasegawa a few years back.  But, increasingly, that's what it's looking like it's going to have to be.

Thoughts?

49 minutes ago, MikeDadofFour said:

The funny part is that the actual deeper section of the wheel well is forward of the cockpit so there should be plenty of space.

Maybe just lazy researchers for such “hidden” details.

Lazy researchers? I could quite literally list dozens of kits where the nose wheel doesn't 'fit' in the nose wheel well, including those made by Tamiya. I'm puzzled as to why this is even an issue.

On 8/26/2022 at 11:04 PM, YKM said:

What I would like to see someone work on...

765022de9387d73f143a3813f3da43aa (1284×1169) (spot.im)

Whatever it is, it's becoming common enough to believe that it may be standardized as part of the F-35 Blk.4 and the F-22 MLU.  The checkerboard pattern is too small and varied in its tesselation patterns to be accomplished by hand masking or even templates alone.  It's going to have to be printed.  And it's going to be expensive when it is, especially at 1/48th and above.

As you can see, it makes the entire airframe look, not metallic but translucent blue or purple.

It's hard to imagine doing an entire airframe in decal, especially one compromised by so much raised RAM paneling.  Rather like the 'Hentai' kits from Hasegawa a few years back.  But, increasingly, that's what it's looking like it's going to have to be.

Thoughts?

First of all it is an F-35C. I consider (owning it) the F-35C Kitty Hawk in 1/48 scale "insufficient" and I will wait for new kits. second thing it is a unique specimen of the experimental VX-9 squadron. Third, that coating has no thickness on a 1/48 scale model, so it can only be reproduced with a decal or masking. If I had to make it (I really like it) I would do a 3d scan of the kit and then I would design the shapes to be used as templates for masking at CAD. It’s not something I’ll consider before I see a new F-35C kit. My hope is that Meng will do it whose F-35A is really very accurate and with few mistakes.

On 8/27/2022 at 6:05 AM, Dave Roof said:

Lazy researchers? I could quite literally list dozens of kits where the nose wheel doesn't 'fit' in the nose wheel well, including those made by Tamiya. I'm puzzled as to why this is even an issue.

While I have no stake in this game at all I think the complaint is not that the wheel/strut actually fits inside like the real thing (just perhaps poorly worded by the original poster) but that Italeri have not made an attempt to make some kind of representation of the structure of the actual wheel well. They just give a well roof all at the same level while the real one is a multi-level affair, like the F-4 for instance with recesses. While full depth is of course nice it can lead to problems and drive up production cost so a reduced-depth representation is usually fine on an injection moulded kit. But they haven't done it here either.

J

6 hours ago, JeffreyK said:

While I have no stake in this game at all I think the complaint is not that the wheel/strut actually fits inside like the real thing (just perhaps poorly worded by the original poster) but that Italeri have not made an attempt to make some kind of representation of the structure of the actual wheel well. They just give a well roof all at the same level while the real one is a multi-level affair, like the F-4 for instance with recesses. While full depth is of course nice it can lead to problems and drive up production cost so a reduced-depth representation is usually fine on an injection moulded kit. But they haven't done it here either.

J

That may be true, but to me (and in my opinion only), it isn't that big of a deal. I'm about 40% done with my first kit now and the fit has been excellent. It is hands down the best kit kit from Italeri that I have ever seen, owned or built. I ordered 2 to start and have 8 more on the way!

31 minutes ago, Dave Roof said:

That may be true, but to me (and in my opinion only), it isn't that big of a deal. I'm about 40% done with my first kit now and the fit has been excellent. It is hands down the best kit kit from Italeri that I have ever seen, owned or built. I ordered 2 to start and have 8 more on the way!

Dave, are you going to have any goodies for the kit?

1 hour ago, Mr Matt Foley said:

Dave, are you going to have any goodies for the kit?

Decals for certain and I'm drawing those up now. As I build the one I have on the bench, I'm making notes to see what, if anything can be made better. One problem is the lack of good solid references on the airframe. While I have a handful of active Marines that have offered to help, they are very, very limited on what they can provide. One area that I've been able to find solid references on is the ground refueling point on the starboard side of the fuselage. I'll be designing that here soon. Engine and intake covers, as well as an extended refueling probe are on the list as well. 

6 hours ago, Dave Roof said:

Decals for certain and I'm drawing those up now. As I build the one I have on the bench, I'm making notes to see what, if anything can be made better. One problem is the lack of good solid references on the airframe. While I have a handful of active Marines that have offered to help, they are very, very limited on what they can provide. One area that I've been able to find solid references on is the ground refueling point on the starboard side of the fuselage. I'll be designing that here soon. Engine and intake covers, as well as an extended refueling probe are on the list as well. 

Count me in on your updates.  

LOL I just showed this to my coworkers and we walked out to the C model we work on just to feel the L.O. tape and boots and it should only be a decal or paint.  That will be ALOT of sanding to get accurate.

14 hours ago, kellyF15 said:

LOL I just showed this to my coworkers and we walked out to the C model we work on just to feel the L.O. tape and boots and it should only be a decal or paint.  That will be ALOT of sanding to get accurate.

Awesome. I would surmise the F-22 is the same?

2 hours ago, Mr Matt Foley said:

Awesome. I would surmise the F-22 is the same?

I have no idea, I've never worked 22s, just F-15s, F-16, and F-35B and C. But I would imagine that's the case.

On 8/26/2022 at 5:05 PM, Dave Roof said:

My comment applied to any manufacturer.  Maybe the electrical and fluid connections can’t easily be determined but the overall shape which likely carries over on all three models of F-35 could have been more faithfully represented.  Here’s an image I found.

It’s an opportunity for improvement by the resin and 3D printing gurus out there.

If the Italeri F-35B fits so well, maybe I’ll give it a go after finishing the KH kit.

Thanks for the review Dave!

IMG_1034.JPG

17 ore fa, MikeDadofFour ha detto:

Il mio commento si applicava a qualsiasi produttore. Forse le connessioni elettriche e fluide non possono essere facilmente determinate, ma la forma generale che probabilmente si svolge su tutti e tre i modelli di F-35 avrebbe potuto essere rappresentata più fedelmente. Ecco un'immagine che ho trovato.

È un'opportunità di miglioramento da parte dei guru della resina e della stampa 3D là fuori.

Se l'Italeri F-35B si adatta così bene, forse ci provarò dopo aver finito il kit KH.

Grazie per la recensione Dave!

IMG_1034. JPG

The front carriage compartment of the F-35A/B has greater depth in the front. There is an inclined plane that connects the front with the back. The Italeri Kit does not have this feature, the Meng kit yes.

alloggiamento del carrello di atterraggio

image011.jpg

1dgnt93sbs411.jpg

Edited by Raptor71
errore
21 hours ago, Raptor71 said:

The front carriage compartment of the F-35A/B has greater depth in the front. There is an inclined plane that connects the front with the back. The Italeri Kit does not have this feature, the Meng kit yes.

alloggiamento del carrello di atterraggio

image011.jpg

1dgnt93sbs411.jpg

I'm going to go look at this tonight when I get to work. That bottom picture looks like it might be from one of the early jets. We have the first B models here, so there may be some differences. I'm usually on the C models, and they layout of everything in the wheel well is different, but the front structural part might be the same.

That bottom photo must be from one of the early static mockups that LM toured around. The gear hinges etc look nothing like the production jet. 

Edit: that would also explain all the zap stickers...

Edited by habu2
6 hours ago, habu2 said:

That bottom photo must be from one of the early static mockups that LM toured around. The gear hinges etc look nothing like the production jet. 

Edit: that would also explain all the zap stickers...

Yes, but I entered the photo to show the area with two different heights. The fact that it is a static model is not relevant as that part corresponds to series specimens. If the front wasn't deeper, the trolley wheel couldn't stand on it.

Schermata 2022-09-06 alle 09.11.57

Edited by Raptor71
edit
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/18/2022 at 5:23 PM, HomeBe said:

In one of my local - and reliable - hobby shop, 60

https://www.passion132.com/gb/planes/153004-italeri-2810-148-f-35-b-lightning-ii.html

54,00 EUR (local 20% VAT included) +P&P

V.P.

60.00 EUR and they are out of stock.
Plasmodel has it for 58.42.

I think that is about as low as it will get in Europe outside of a sale.
Plasmodel does discounts for regular buyers and they often have 12% sales on Italeri models which would make it a sub £50 kit.

45 minutes ago, Bsin said:

Dave, are you going to show us any more of your F-35  Build-up? A video of?

I'll be working on it again this weekend. Had a few other projects to get done, as well as send the decal sheet off to print.