Just another virtual flight

A while back, I finally upgraded my 10 year old PC.   Now that I've got a somewhat powerful machine, I've gradually been getting back in flight simming.   For the last few months, my focus has been on Microsoft Flight Sim, "flying" either the CRJ700 Regional Jet or lately, the newly released PMDG Boeing 737-700.   Thanks to it's relatively modern design, the CRJ is pretty easy to get the hang of.   The 737, however is a weird mix of somewhat modern systems with a good number of truly archaic features.   Much more of a challenge to for me.   I'm finally getting to the point where I can usually make the 737 do what I want it to do.   Wife and daughter are away for the weekend so I decided I'd recreate a flight I have taken many times in real life.   Southwest from Washington National (DCA) to Boston Logan (BOS).    I used real time weather, so the weather conditions were pretty close to what we had this afternoon, the other cool part is that the Robuc Three arrival into BOS (one of the most heavily used arrivals for northbound jets) takes inbound aircraft directly over my house (at around 8,000'), before they head out over the water near Plymouth.   So the really neat part is that when I was "flying" in tonight, I could look out of the virtual window seat and see where I live.  I actually had the urge to go out on the deck and look up.

Anyway, some pictures (note that I reduced these in size for posting, so the quality is not nearly as sharp as what I was getting on my PC).

7PM, at gate A7 in DC.   DCA is one of my favorite airports, except for Terminal A which is only used by Southwest and a few Air Canada flights.   Terminal A is not physically connected to the rest of Reagan National and is truly a dump.   If you want to enjoy the beautiful portion of DCA, you have to leave A and go through TSA all over again.   Unless you have a really long layover, it's just not worth it.  

4A5dfDK.png?1

Taxing out.  I think next time I'll add more jets.  Usually, DCA is extremely busy at this time of day. 

jsmI4i2.png?1

Climbing out of the DC metro area.

8SaPHKJ.png?1

HI2oqI6.png?1

Lot of traffic in the NYC area (as is normal)

iOXeuAQ.png?1

Climbing to cruising altitude, no idea where my First Officer went, probably back hitting on one of the flight attendants.

GgOY1uR.png?1

Sunset descent on the Robuc Three approach.   Heading out over Cape Cod Bay, Plymouth is straight ahead.  Once "feet wet" you get turned north for final vectors into Logan.

rmMUnT0.png

Final approach to RWY 27, Logan.   Otto Pilot is doing a great job of flying.  

De4nacM.png?1

Taxying into gate B22.

dyaui2R.png?1

Back home.

q3Gwufr.png?1

Thanks for flying 11Bee Airways! 

Edited by 11bee

Great pictures! I used to sim a lot (still on the "old" FSX) but have lost the mojo at the moment. If you really want to add a lot of "fun", you need to register at VATSIM (Virtual Air Traffic Simulation) where you get a "multiplayer"-experience - all other traffic are other human simmers, and there is also a good portion of people online who do ATC. You need a lot of training to fly in that environment, but it is really worth the work! The ATC-guys guide you following real-world procedures, and receive extensive training before beeing allowed to control. Pilots don´t need any training, but are encouraged to do so, because otherwise it wouldn´t make much sense... 😉

HAJO

Been flying MSFS for various virtual airlines since Covid struck and restricted my travelling around the world. Not the same, but I've managed to "see" a lot of world this way and accumulated over 700hrs of "flying" time in MSFS alone. Flying mostly CRJ-900 and FBW's A320neo and a little bit of 330-900 for long distance flights. I am on the fence of buying the Fenix 320ceo and waiting for PMDG's 737-800.

But my main love still remains in the DCS World, F-14 in VR.

MSFS looks really good, and I am constantly tempted to buy it, but just flying around doesn't seem like something that would keep my interest for very long.  Back in the day, when I was taking flying lessons, I used the version that was available, combined with some additional scenery updates, to practice procedures and build a memory of routine operations (check in at this range, keep this altitude, scan the instruments, set the flaps at this point, etc.), but since I am no longer doing that, I am not sure how interested I would be.

Like Sebastijan, I am getting more into DCS, although not using VR, because there's just more to do.

6 hours ago, Ken Cartwright said:

MSFS looks really good, and I am constantly tempted to buy it, but just flying around doesn't seem like something that would keep my interest for very long.  Back in the day, when I was taking flying lessons, I used the version that was available, combined with some additional scenery updates, to practice procedures and build a memory of routine operations (check in at this range, keep this altitude, scan the instruments, set the flaps at this point, etc.), but since I am no longer doing that, I am not sure how interested I would be.

Like Sebastijan, I am getting more into DCS, although not using VR, because there's just more to do.

I hear you.  Right now, I really just enjoying the challenge of “flying” a modern airliner by the book, on routes I’ve flown in the past.  DCS, for the modern jets at least, has a massive learning curve and for me at least requires continuous flying to maintain proficiency.    It also absolutely requires a high end HOTAS set up, which is big $.  

I’ve got a few modules (F-86, MiG-15 and UH-1 which is a blast to fly).  However they just aren’t dragging me in right now.