CD144026 - 1/144 RC-135 Recon Variants

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/30/2022 at 10:50 AM, thegoodsgt said:

The Roden RC-135V/W kit is now in stock at Hannants. I suspect we'll see in the states soon'ish.

Curious what the retail will be here in the states.   So far the two that I bought from Ukraine were each about $45 with shipping.

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/11/2022 at 11:25 PM, KursadA said:

This sheet will be coming in September - I need to finalize color choices and add some tweaks, but I would like to send it to be printed in the next couple of days so this design is pretty much final.

cd144026.jpg

Right here Dutch.   

• 4 weeks later...

Since Kursad has scaled the 1/72 sheet down to 1/144 and is including 4849 with it's sharkmouth glory, I thought it fitting to start another project.   Yep, ordered a third Roden RC-135 and took a blade to the forward fuselage.    U-boat in progress.

20220926_132638.jpg

42 minutes ago, Drifterdon said:

Since Kursad has scaled the 1/72 sheet down to 1/144 and is including 4849 with it's sharkmouth glory, I thought it fitting to start another project.   Yep, ordered a third Roden RC-135 and took a blade to the forward fuselage.    U-boat in progress.

20220926_132638.jpg

Oh that looks nice!

10 hours ago, Drifterdon said:

20220926_132638.jpg

Looking forward to watching progress on this Don... 👍!

• 2 months later...

Here are some progress pics of Roden RC-135's that will be benefiting from these great decals.

thumbnail_20221210_011629.jpg

RC-135S Cobra Ball conversion.

thumbnail_20221210_011654.jpg

RC-135W Rivet Joint pretty much straight from the box but with problem areas corrected.

thumbnail_20221210_011739.jpg

RC-135U Combat Sent conversion using my own resin bits and pieces.   This will be Jaws.

Edited by Drifterdon

Awesome!  We drove right under a Ball executing missed approaches out of Lincoln while we were on I-80 headed to Thanksgiving last month.  Made my day!  Then the new Constant Phoenix overflew us up here in north central Nebraska a few days ago.  I see 55th jets up here quite often as they use our VOR en route to..  wherever.  

Rick L.

Edited by Spruemeister
4 hours ago, TomTheCat said:

Please excuse my ignorance, but may I ask what these "problem areas" are?

The nose radome is undersized and tapers in too much.  Looks like a blunt F-105 radome (slight exaggeration).  The attachment point on rear fuselage where horizontal stabs attach is way too pronounced.   Looks like a butte in Utah.   I discovered with all three builds that the lower fuselage area that runs the entire length of the lower wing is too thick.  I had to file it down so it was level with the bottom of the wing and then clean up and fill the seam.   The entire upper and lower fuselage has a grainy pebbly texture that needs to be sanded smooth.   The upper Satcom antennas are all lined up with the centerline of aircraft and should be staggered.  Those were the main areas that need to be addressed.    Do I recommend the kit?   Absolutely!  I have five of them.  Here is a build thread that Dutch started that discusses some of the issues and fixes. 

Edited by Drifterdon
On 12/11/2022 at 4:53 PM, Drifterdon said:

The nose radome is undersized and tapers in too much.  Looks like a blunt F-105 radome (slight exaggeration).  The attachment point on rear fuselage where horizontal stabs attach is way too pronounced.   Looks like a butte in Utah.   I discovered with all three builds that the lower fuselage area that runs the entire length of the lower wing is too thick.  I had to file it down so it was level with the bottom of the wing and then clean up and fill the seam.   The entire upper and lower fuselage has a grainy pebbly texture that needs to be sanded smooth.   The upper Satcom antennas are all lined up with the centerline of aircraft and should be staggered.  Those were the main areas that need to be addressed.    Do I recommend the kit?   Absolutely!  I have five of them.  Here is a build thread that Dutch started that discusses some of the issues and fixes. 

Don, Maybe you should move your build pics and comments to the linked RC-135V/W build thread in the "In Progress" forum. That way it will be a one stop shop for the Roden kit. Just a suggestion, K/r, Dutch

Edited by Dutch
5 minutes ago, Dutch said:

Don, Maybe you should move your build pics and comments to the linked RC-135V/W build thread in the "In Progress" forum. That way it will be a one stop shop for the roden kit. Just a suggestion, K/r, Dutch

I was just wanting to tie in these three builds with Kursads amazing set of decals for the RC-135/WC-135.  I still have the ongoing thread over in the Jet Modeling forum as well for all my other RC-135 builds.