Eddie the Riveter Mi-24V in 1:48 a few hints

Hello

Since April 2022, the new "Eddie the Riveter" decals for the Mi-24V in 1:48from Eduard are available. In the May issue of INFO Eduard, an illustrated instruction was published. I am currently decorating my Zevezda kit with these riveting decals and following the Eduard instructions in general.

The decals are divided in several patterns and have to be cut out from a solid carrier film. Contrary to the Eduard instructions, I am using plain tap water without any additional agents to soften the decals. With a large brush, the tap water is applied on the back of the decal and the model surface where the decal is placed. Do not wait too long with placing the decal on the model, already after 20 sec. the decal can be moved. One behaviour of the carrier film is that it is becoming more flexible the longer the water has impact to the decal. This can be a problem, because the borders of the decals tend to turn downwards. Thus, release the decal from the backing paper as soon as possible, when the carrier film still is solid. This also is the reason, that I avoid any ingredients in the tap water here.

After application on the model is is looking like this:

DSC_9390_00001.jpg

After application, you have a few minutes time to remove air bubbles, which virtually can´t be avoided especially on larger decals. This can be done with a flat brush or small cotton swab. Care has to be taken not to stretch the decal too much during this process. Uneven rows of rivets can be the result, if too much force is taken. However, it is almost impossible to fully avoid defects on the carrier film, or a dust particle easily can be trapped. But this is nothing like a disaster, those can be repaired without too much mess.

At first, the decal has to be dried thorougly, 12 hours at least. Then spray several thin layers of thinned Mr. Surfacer 1500 over the whole decal. Let it dry now 24 hours.

DSC_9395_00001.jpg

The Mr. Surfacer 1500 add strength to the decal and the model can be handled without too much fear of damaging the rivets. Then, I am spraying Alclad black Primer and Microfiller over the defect areas. This primer is rather thick and has an excellent filling characteristic. 

DSC_9397_00001.jpg

After two hours, it can be sanded. For this I am using two different types of sanders.

A 3200 grid sanding pad and individually produced micro sanders consisting of a small piece of styrodur foam glued on the backside of 1500 grid sanding paper.

DSC_9398_00001_01.jpg

From the home made sanding block, many properly sized pieces of micro sanders can be cut out. Those are clamped with a pair of tweezers and gently wiped over the appropriate spot with support by a tiny drop of water. the area can be cleaned with a soft cotton swab.

DSC_9402_00001.jpg

Some areas of the Mi-24 has a selection of raised and recessed lines of rivets. If you intend to replicate also the recessed lines, do these before the application of the decals with a riveting too (Rosie the Riveter for example). After the decal is correctly applied, a mild decal softening fluid gently can be brushed over and the decal. After drying, each negative rivet must be stitched with a pointy needle. Again, a decal softener can be brushed over the rivet lines. After airbrushing thinned Mr. Surfacer 1500 over the decal, repeat stitching each negativ rivet again. The whole process is a bit time consuming, but the result will be very rewarding.

Generally, working with the Eddie rivets is not rocket science. With a bit of patience and care, the rather plain look of the model can be considerably enhaced.

DSC_9391_00001.jpg

DSC_9392_00001.jpg

5 hours ago, midnightprowler said:

Will they work with the Revell kit?

Making the Eddie riveting decals fit to the different shapes and sizes of the Revell/ Monogram kit means a hell of work I would avoid. For example, the tail boom of the Revell/Monogram kit is substantially shorter. You would have to cut the riveting decals in several pieces to make them fit, put them together, fill and sand the seam lines … . 

Better to spend another +/- 50,00 USD in the Zvezda kit.

Hi falcon91352

Good to see your work and explanations!!!

Hi midnightprowler

The Eduard Mi-24V (and since then the Mi-24D) rivet decals were made specially for the Zvezda kit taking into account all the panel sizes and shapes. So as Flacon91352 has pointed out before it is possible to add them on any other kit, but it would be a nightmare!!! I would say it would be easier to get some standard rivet decals from Archer or HGW.

It is similar to when you have  a canopy mask for say a Hasegawa Phantom kit and you try to fit it to a Tamiya F-4 kit. It will not work! 

Best regards

Gabor