Bizzard mistakes in real life ...

Hi all,

I want to share with you my share of bizzare mistakes and see what you think?

1. While cleaning up the working area, there was no place to put the model so I placed on the chair. Next thing CRUNCH and 3 months of work in the trash can!

2. As the final stage of the build I dipped a brush into water to clean up minor excess wash. The next thing I knew it was thin super glue instead of water that I thought. It happened yesterday as the clear water and super glue in the cups look indentical and I mixed up the two. Well time to sand and repaint the model. 

3. I spent 10 minutes making sure the decal is in the right position then I took a bathroom break. When I return the decal looks so off that I had to sand it off and order a new sheet. 

4. I cut the part out ready to be glued but I really need a beer so went to kitchen and when I got back that part was no where to be seen again.

5. When bringing the model to the display case I forgot the glass door was closed so BAMMM head on collision ! 

6. When cutting out decal I was so very careful and next thing I knew the roundel was truncated of a mm! 

7. When working with super glue I am very careful of not getting any on my model. Next thing I knew, a nice blob of super glue appeared out of no where landed on the freshly painted and decaled wing.

More to come ! What you think? Dai 

#1 & #5.  You just can’t make this $h!& up! LOL!  

#3, been there, done that.  I now stand back and take a look before finalizing the decal.  I learned a long time ago to not trust my upclose vision due to distortion from glasses. 

funny related story.  Many years ago at work we had this one guy that really tried, sometimes.  We weren’t sure if he was a complete moron or a brilliant strategist that figured out how to getting out of work by screwing up everything he did.  
One day he accompanied me to a job that required a simple hole in the Sheetrock and a single gang mud ring and low voltage electronic wall connections.  He said he had it.  After he was done he called me over and asked how did it look.  
“Well Craig, come stand back where I’m at and you tell me?”  C-“Oh crap.  How did I cut that hole at a 45* angle?”  
I introduced him to the torpedo level in his tool kit. 

You think thats bizarre.

So I was making a Monogram F-100D recently.
Spent quite some time rescribing it all before construction, it went together really well, it was looking pretty good, some of my best scribing work todate.

Then I like you decided to have a bit of a bench tidy. I put the model on the tv stand infront of the tv and tidied up, all no problem at all.
Then as I was walking from one side of the room to the other the model boxes I store above the TV decided to fall headlong onto my F-100.

Those boxes have been sat there for... years! And only now do they decide to fall off onto my model.

I assessed the damage which is somewhat fixable, the undercarriage is so so, but the canopy is in 5 different pieces.

Normally falling off would mean they just land on a tv stand then floor.

Couldnt make it up (((

14 hours ago, dai phan said:

Hi all,

I want to share with you my share of bizzare mistakes and see what you think?

1. While cleaning up the working area, there was no place to put the model so I placed on the chair. Next thing CRUNCH and 3 months of work in the trash can!

2. As the final stage of the build I dipped a brush into water to clean up minor excess wash. The next thing I knew it was thin super glue instead of water that I thought. It happened yesterday as the clear water and super glue in the cups look indentical and I mixed up the two. Well time to sand and repaint the model. 

3. I spent 10 minutes making sure the decal is in the right position then I took a bathroom break. When I return the decal looks so off that I had to sand it off and order a new sheet. 

4. I cut the part out ready to be glued but I really need a beer so went to kitchen and when I got back that part was no where to be seen again.

5. When bringing the model to the display case I forgot the glass door was closed so BAMMM head on collision ! 

6. When cutting out decal I was so very careful and next thing I knew the roundel was truncated of a mm! 

7. When working with super glue I am very careful of not getting any on my model. Next thing I knew, a nice blob of super glue appeared out of no where landed on the freshly painted and decaled wing.

More to come ! What you think? Dai 

I hope none of this happens to me. 🙃

I've done 3. and 6.   And, I've taken a long completed airplane out of the display case to re-visit it, and while being ultra-careful not to bump any of the super delicate photo etched parts, I promptly just dropped the whole airplane onto the hard tiled floor, where it exploded.  Good thing my wife wasn't home to hear me screaming at myself for being so stupid!!  Too careful is dangerous!!

On 7/4/2022 at 10:56 PM, dai phan said:

Ouch! Guilty as charge; though it wasn't me who laid his partially built Minibase 1/48 Su-33 kit on a chair, but my husband. :rolleyes: And the colour of the lining in the chair matched the colour of the kit styrene almost EXACTLY. I just sat on the chair to find out something was cracking under my buns :doh:

Still remember the look on my husband's face; he wouldn't believe it at first, then he realised. He held it back until it finally came out: Ah, you clumsy f@t *rse! (which I'm not, any of that).

Very seldom has my husband ever shouted expletives to me, so this ought to have been seriously difficult for him.

Thing is both the upper and lower fuselage halves were far beyond repair. He didn't speak to me in a whole week because getting another kit was totally out of the question, so I slyly made it up for him. Cost dearly, but Tomcat21 was kind enough as to send me replacements for both parts, which suddenly appeared on my husband's bench one morning after two months.

But I'm the one who made her GWH 1/48 MiG-29 9-12 Early Type kit look the next thing to the felon going through an acid waste tank in the 1987 Robocop film :rofl:

Cheers,

Gwen

I have an old habit of sometimes holding a paintbrush in my mouth as I adjust something-or-other, including opening a bottle of paint or thinner. 

Nothing like using a brush, then as you're about to open the thinner to clean it, you absentmindedly put the wrong end of the brush in your mouth. 

YUCK!! 🤢:doh:

35 minutes ago, Andrew D. the Jolly Rogers guy said:

I have an old habit of sometimes holding a paintbrush in my mouth as I adjust something-or-other, including opening a bottle of paint or thinner. 

Nothing like using a brush, then as you're about to open the thinner to clean it, you absentmindedly put the wrong end of the brush in your mouth. 

YUCK!! 🤢:doh:

I use to be a paint and bodyman.  We kept a Mt. Dew bottle on the bench with lacquer thinner in it for cleaning bondo spreaders.  Yea, tastes like cheap scotch.