Year USAF Changed Tail Codes from White to Black?

I would say 1979-80.  I perused the book "Tail Code" by Patrick Martin and he does a great job a detailing the history of individual unit tailcodes, but he does not specifically state when the codes changed from white to black. However, he does put lots of photos in the book and the best I can tell, I have an F-4G from 1979, an F-15A from 1979 and an A-10A from 1980, all with black tailcodes.  F-16B 78-0096 which was painted in the trial lizard scheme had black "HL' tailcodes in 1979.  There are also photos of 56th SOW birds (A-1, A-26, AT-28, C-123) with black tail codes in 1968-69 during the Vietnam conflict.

He does mention that with the advent of the air superiority grey schemes, the F-15 & F-16 switched to black tail codes. Apparently, the Air Superioity Blue scheme on the F-15 featured white codes and the F-16 pretty much had black codes from the get go. He also mentions that the Hill Grey schemes featured grey tail codes, mostly on F-4s.  He doesn't mention A-10s in the Euro 1 scheme, or the SEA wrap-around schemes on many tactical jets, but I think black was a pretty obvious choice by then.  

Edited by Dutch

Looking at a couple of selections at ABPics by 'date taken', @Dutch appears to be correct - looks like the transition took about a year...

....a general F-4 Phantom II search shows the first use of black in mid-1979 - no white after mid-1980...

...likewise, USAFE F-111Es and Fs are seen with white tail codes up to Aug 1980, but black from then on.

Edited by andyf117