Picked up the RG 1/144 747 UPS kit.  Was wondering if anyone knows a good match for UPS brown?  Apparently, it's technical name is Pullman brown.  I saw one build that used Krylon Coffee bean on another forum.  I'm really bad at matching/mixing paint so any help would be appreciated 

Brent

Based on what's been posted on Airlinercafe.com, Humbrol Rail Colour RC415 Pullman Brown enamel and Humbrol Acrylic AB2415 are perfect matches, if you can find them. 

Zero Paint ZP-1428 is matched to UPS brown, and Scale Finishes also has one. These two are lacquers that used by car modelers and are hotter than lacquers from Tamiya and Mr Color. You must mist them over a good primer coat (Tamiya, Duplicolor, or the manufacturers' own primers all work fine) so they don't attack the underlying plastic. They're premixed for airbrushing, so you can just dump them in the airbrush and off you go. I'm assuming by your "cubsfan" handle that you're in North America, so if you want to try Zero Paints, their US dealer is unreliable. Order from SpotModel.com instead. I use them regularly and shipping to the US only takes a week to 10 days. I haven't tried Scale Finishes, but they have a great reputation.

Ben

Brent,

Thanks for asking the question.

Ben and Phil,

I plan on building an early UPS 727, 747 & 757 with the wide brown cheat line. Is this the same color brown as the new scheme?

K/r, 

Dutch 

Edited by Dutch

Sorry, I’m not very familiar with UPS liveries. I just happened to have seen the auto paint for their brown while looking for another color.

Over to you, Phil! 

Ben

Edited by Ben Brown
6 minutes ago, eraucubsfan said:

@Dutch I would think so, I believe they trademark that shade of brown or something like that, just my guess though

@Phil Ciborowski  How is the 747 kit?  Yours looks really awesome

The kit was great - I have seen people rip on it for being a mess. But I didnt blast through it.. The only issue was the bottom between the landing gear - that took a bit of finesse but other than that, it was great - I have 2 more to do as well as a few 800i's.

30 minutes ago, Ben Brown said:

Sorry, I’m not very familiar with UPS liveries. I just happened to have seen the auto paint for their brown while looking for another color.

Over to you, Phil! 

Ben

So Ill defer if needed - but from what I remember, Pullman brown is an old railroad color that was used by UPS because of its "elegant" feel and look - and yes its copyrighted -  see HERE

From what I have seen the brown has not changed at all during UPS's history so the older cheat line livery is (in theory) the same brown.

Just to be clear - the brown I used was mixed and matched to the brown printed within the UPS logo on the decal sheet. I have zero idea how that matches to the real Pullman brown. I think if I was to do it again, I might make it a bit darker (a shade or 2). In bright sunlight it looks a bit too bright to me (and I am annoyed that the engine white doesn't match too).

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...