SH-3 kit questions, D, G & H USN birds.

Hi all, I've finally got HS-9 decals from HAD on the way for my Nimitz collection which I intend to put on my Fujimi kit of the SH-3H. I'm assuming this kit will have all I need for a Sea Griffin's bird.

However, I also have an old Superscale sheet 72-391 that has a Nimitz based SH-3G from HC-2. I'm not totally up on what the differences are between marks but I do have the following kits in the stash to mix and match from: the VIP issue of the Fujimi kit (no mark given, just SH-3), the old tool Airfix SH-3D, the old tool Airfix HAR.3 and two copies of the Revell HAS.6/AEW. 

One of the Revell is earmarked for a S-61N conversion, and I also want to build one of the early HAS.1 or 2 from HMS Ark Royal in the '70s. I was thinking of the old Airfix for that but open to suggestions...

Roy,

I am generally familiar with the Sikorsky, Agusta, Mitsubishi & Westland Seaking production.  There are many similarities and many differences between the manufacturers' variants.  Suffice to say that Agusta & Mitsubishi followed Sikorsky, while Westland made "adjustments."  Sikorsky early model Seakings featured a shortened tail stabilizer, being elongated during D production and carried over to G/H upgrades.  Sikorsky used a five blade tail rotor throughout production.  Westland's first three machines were Sikorsky provided so they also had the five blade rotor and short stab, however Westland changed to the longer stab and a six blade rotor with the Gnome engines for production examples. Another difference is that Westand Seakings featured an accessory drive (or oil cooler?) behind the port engine that necessitated a bulge in the port side engine cowling or "dog house." So check your photos of the particular airframe you wish to build.  Check the number and location of cabin windows for your particular model.  Except for a few special versions, Sikorsky stuck with one cabin window per side, plus the door window. Westland HAS.1 & 2 versions followed Sikorsky, however the HAR.3 & HC.4 added windows.  I think that HAS.5 & AEW.6 were rebuilt airframes, so followed the HAS.1 & 2 window arrangement. Westland added a radar radome to the dorsal spine behind the dog house.  Initially, these were bullet shaped, but later marks featured a larger diameter flattened radome.  Eventually, Westalnd also replaced the simple ice ingestion shield with actual box shaped air filters.  Lastly, aerial placement varied considerably, so again, check photos of the particular machine you intend to build. Now for a couple of photos.

Sikorsky_SH-3H_156484.thumb.JPG.d51631f52ee7707b525e02f76ee0b46a.JPG

Photo of Sikorsky SH-3H at the US Naval Aviation Museum in Pensacola painted to represent an early SH-3A. (Wikipedia)

Seaking_HAS1_XV659.thumb.JPG.fd5cc10eeecb7f980aa932e4ab44e7b8.JPG

Photo of Westland Seaking HAS.1 XV659 circa 1972. (Wikipedia)

So if I have counted correctly, you have six Seaking kits and only have made intentions for four builds thus far.  If you have the Fujimi SH-3H kit, you can build a G. It features the Sikorsky dog house and five blade tail rotor.  However, the Fujimi Westland Seaking releases featured the extra parts for the UK built versions including the dog house bulge, six blade tail rotor and bullet radome.  I believe all Fujimi kits include the short wheel sponsons, but the SH-3H kit also features the extended sponsons for that particular version. At one time or another, I have built and / or owned several of the the older Airfix SH-3A/D, HAS.1/2 & HAR.3 kits, several Fujimi kits of Sikorsky, Mitsubishi & Westland variety and two of the early Revell GMBH Seakings. The Revell kits feature the Westland bulged dog house and six blade tail rotor.  My very basic and simple recommendation for your kit-to-model match is as follows:

RoyM.JPG.91355bf6b5cd7b2ad4b4ea8050128680.JPG

Not having my kits in front of me, this is only my memory fogged recommendation. You may need to swap parts among kits or source from spares various items, but a little research is in order first.  Happy modelling!

K/r,

Dutch     

Looking forward to these projects!

But I wonder if your older Airfix Seakings are of any use. If you can afford it, I would scrap these kits and use other ones. They just don´t do the Seaking any justice today.

HAJO

The Fujimi SH-3 VIP ("COMSEVENTHFLT" markings, I believe) version has both long and short sponsons, all ASW gear and equipment to make a USN fleet operational SH3 of either early or recent vintage.

Cyber Hobby has a correct SH3H kit with tons of options.

If you buy the current Italeri SH3 "Apollo Rescue" kit, it is a Fujimi SH3 with most parts to make an H.  It has the extra (unused) elongated starboard sponson with the MAD boom, but the only port sponson included is the short one, without the ASW weapons. 

Airfix kits of recent vintage I believe are much improved over the earlier issues (also issued by MPC and Heller).  Those early ones are junk and I would stay away.

Rod.

Edited by Rod D

Hi all, 

Dutch, that info is exactly what I was looking for.  Many many thanks. 

Yes, the S-61N will be the Whirlybits conversion with Revell parts. And from Rod D, that means I can use the CH-3 VIP kit for the SH-3G. Yay! Am I correct in thinking the SH-3G is effectively the same airframe as the H? (My plan was the Airfix SH3D kit for the G).

As for the Airfix kits, Hajo and Rod, well I have them so might as well use them. I can always use leftover bits from the Revell kits to dress them up. Besides, the SH-3D is a very early release so is crisply moulded. The HAR.3 not so much, but I originally bought that to use for the S-61 project. 

Thanks again. 

Note that the HAD SH-3H drawings incorrectly depict short sponsons - albeit with the MAD - on both sides:

n_586741_4.jpg

Whereas the aircraft actually featured the extended sponsons on both sides, as seen in this 'Final Countdown' still:

Nimitz_SH-3_CIMG5346.jpg

12 hours ago, Dutch said:

However, the Fujimi Westland Seaking releases featured the extra parts for the UK built versions including the dog house bulge, six blade tail rotor and bullet radome.  I believe all Fujimi kits include the short wheel sponsons, but the SH-3H kit also features the extended sponsons for that particular version. 

The memory is indeed slightly "fogged", Dutch - despite three Fujimi boxings purporting to represent Westland versions (Mk.41/Mk.48, HAR.3/HAS.2, and HAS.6 'Flying Tiger'/Mk.43) none of them included the doghouse 'bulge'; the latter also, due to only having the earlier small radome, didn't accurately depict either the HAS.6, or the Danish S-61A for which decals were included, as that required a differently-shaped tail pylon!

The extended sponsons and other relevant items of the SH-3H kit were also supplied in the HSS-2B boxing.

Edited by andyf117
3 hours ago, andyf117 said:

The memory is indeed slightly "fogged", Dutch - despite three Fujimi boxings purporting to represent Westland versions (Mk.41/Mk.48, HAR.3/HAS.2, and HAS.6 'Flying Tiger'/Mk.43) none of them included the doghouse 'bulge'; the latter also, due to only having the earlier small radome, didn't accurately depict either the HAS.6, or the Danish S-61A for which decals were included, as that required a differently-shaped tail pylon!

The extended sponsons and other relevant items of the SH-3H kit were also supplied in the HSS-2B boxing.

Oh yes, forgot about the JMSDF HSS2-B.  It is the same plastic as their SH3H kit.  Duh, I should know...I have one of each!!

Thanks Andy. I am travelling at the moment, several thousand miles from my stash, so couldn't verify.  Thank you for keeping me honest.  "Oh, I see!" said the blind man as he pissed into the wind. "It all comes back to me now!" 🤪

8 hours ago, Rod D said:

Oh yes, forgot about the JMSDF HSS2-B.  It is the same plastic as their SH3H kit.  Duh, I should know...I have one of each!!

I have a few of each, except for the 'Flying Tiger' issue, which is the only one I haven't managed to acquire...

45 minutes ago, Dutch said:

Thanks Andy. I am travelling at the moment, several thousand miles from my stash, so couldn't verify.  Thank you for keeping me honest.  "Oh, I see!" said the blind man as he pissed into the wind. "It all comes back to me now!" 🤪

I know you'd do the same for me! 😄 Maybe you were thinking of the Cyber Hobby kit, which does have the Westland-specific 'bulge' as a separate part?

I have the Flying Tiger and as I recall that doesn’t have the bump. Posting on here a long time ago, I could switch the decal and put them on the Revell Mk.41 kit and use the Flying Tiger kit as a Apollo bird. 

How time flies, still in the box ready to build. 🥲

Edited by Tank

Andy, Right!  I was thinking of the Revell GMBH offering as having the engine cowling hump.  I now remember adding a bit of sprue cut at such an angle to replicate the hump on my Fujimi Westland builds.  That was a long time ago.  K/r, Dutch

Edited by Dutch