1/24 Monogram 1994 Lumina NASCAR-#3 Dale Earnhardt

I need a break from the Interceptor and wing things so I decided to go back to my roots of building 1/24 NASCARs. I found a 1/24 Monogram Lumina kit cheap except it is molded in yellow. I am going to do Earnhardts' 7th cup win, a 1994 Chevy Lumina. Here is my start. jon

Dale 1.JPG

Dale 2.JPG

Dale 3.JPG

Dale 5.JPG

I have the seat and stick shift in and the roll cage built. There were some warped parts and the cage kept popping apart so I had to use super glue and clamps to hold it until dry.

Dale 11.JPG

Dale 12.JPG

I started working on the rear end and suspension but again ran into warped parts. You can see in the picture the red suspension frame is not in line with the black rear end and axle. The red frame should be parallel to the center of the clothes pins, it is at about 20 degrees away from it now. The kit was sealed and inner parts bag sealed also, guess it has warped sitting in who knows what kind of warehouse or climate.

Dale 18.JPG

Edited by jonwinn

I have the rear end-suspension glued in. I had to use super glue and do a little at a time but it is now in. I added the bumpers and air foil to the body then painted the interior red.

Dale 20.JPG

Dale 15.JPG

Dale 16.JPG

Here is a comparison of the 2 Luminas I am building. One is 1990 molds and one is 1994 molds. The first one, 1990 mold, black, is ready to decal and I had problems but not as many, still had to super glue a lot. I noticed that the newest kit, 1994, yellow, seems to be more "worn out" as the molds have been used, A LOT. Hence the exaggerated fit problems. I guess that is to be expected from a 30 year old kit! These are the last and only Monogram Luminas I will build.

Dale 21.JPG

Edited by jonwinn

I have the chassis almost done. The rear end and rear axles are on, the engine, exhaust and drive shaft are on, the instrument panel and front windshield braces are on so all I need now is the front suspension and axles.

Dale 22.JPG

An alternate view of bottom. The yellow areas by the engine are where the frame and suspension will mount. i scraped the red paint off for better adhesion.

Dale 23.JPG

Edited by jonwinn

I have the wheels on but at a cost. The rear trailing arm popped free then on the other side the rear spring popped free. I had to re glue with super glue. After all the tires were on the front left tire rocks. No idea why but it has a 2.5mm gap under it....see image with the tweezers under it. This is the 1994 molding. The older original 1990 molding, gray painted frame, is rock solid and nothing has sprung loose. I am hoping I can get this Earnhardt car done before something else breaks free and it goes into the "circular file"! NEVER again will I even think of attempting a Monogram Lumina!

Dale 25.JPG

Dale 26.JPG

Dale 27.JPG

Edited by jonwinn
2 hours ago, jonwinn said:

... After all the tires were on the front left tire rocks. No idea why but it has a 2.5mm gap under it....

Sounds like the weight jacker needs a few turns ...  😎

I took the wheel off the broke free the lower frame at the attachment points. I am going to add shims to the four points where the lower frame attaches on the left side. The problem is the engine frame is in a bit crooked, so the frame attachment points are located on that part. Rather than tear out the engine and transmission and drive shaft I will just shim to "lower that left wheel to the height of the right one. I cut some Evergreen stock to use as shims.

Dale 30.JPG

Dale 31.JPG

Dale 32.JPG

Edited by jonwinn

The frame is shimmed and with the super glue set so I tried a test fit of the tire, it sets flat on the ground now. I removed the tire so I could repaint the frame area.

Dale 34.JPG

Dale 33.JPG

Dale 35.JPG

Edited by jonwinn

I have the black done on the body. I was hoping they would give decals for the rocker panels aluminum color but no luck. So I will mask the bottom off and buy the aluminum color this week.

Dale 38.JPG

The decals are about half done. I am trying to replicate as close as I can the 1994 Charlotte car from October 9, 1994. The decals are Power Slide and are most excellent to work with.

Dale 41.JPG

There is only one major area that bothers me. That rear bumper does not blend right. It has a weird transition from bumper to body. The earlier 1990 kit had the smooth transition. If you look at the picture in the post above this you will see the odd looking bumper.

Charlotte # 3 Goodwrench Dale Earnhardt 1994 Lumina .png