paint match for international orange fighter town decals

I'm working on the F/A-18E from VFA-81 using the fighter town decals and need to paint the tip of the fuel tank. 

Can anyone point me to a brand of paint that is available and matches the decals? It calls for international orange, but model master is the only brand I can find that has that name and they're all gone. 

TIA!

MIKE

MRP and Hataka both do International Orange, Hataka in all three of their paint lines. Whether or not either brand will be a good match to your decals is anyone's guess. Model Master's International Orange was actually a poor match for the FS color, (12197, AKA ANA 508), being lighter and less red.

I don’t think the MRP international orange is quite right.  I’ve tired it and it’s not as red.  I picked up some tru-color (TCP 1210) instead and it is dead on IMO.   I thinned it with Mr Color Leveling thinner and had great results 

Steve 

All I can offer is we printed the decals to match the FS color and they match to the color chip perfectly. 

MM 12197 was always too orange. I always added a bit of Stop Sign Red. 

For MrColor I tested a 40/60 mix of Orange and Red. Came out as close as I could tell. 

Brian as

I think MM FS 12197 wasn't "bright" enough, and looked dull especially in fluorescent lighting. I've been using MM Chevy engine red for all my Navy trainers AND Coast Guard models. Someday I may run out of the stuff and hope to find a comparable lacquer.

Coasties.JPG

21 hours ago, Paul Boyer said:

I think MM FS 12197 wasn't "bright" enough, and looked dull especially in fluorescent lighting. I've been using MM Chevy engine red for all my Navy trainers AND Coast Guard models. Someday I may run out of the stuff and hope to find a comparable lacquer.

Coasties.JPG

Good call! IIRC, this is what Darren Roberts used as well. I mentioned Stop Sign Red, but pretty sure I meant to say Chevy Engine Red 🤦‍♂️😜

thanks for that 

Brian 

On 7/17/2022 at 9:20 PM, Falconxlvi said:

I don’t think the MRP international orange is quite right.  I’ve tired it and it’s not as red.  I picked up some tru-color (TCP 1210) instead and it is dead on IMO.   I thinned it with Mr Color Leveling thinner and had great results 

Steve 

MRP-002 is really the better match to "International Orange"  MRP calls it insignia red, but that's really not the right name.  They also have another insignia red, MRP-299, which is in fact what most modelers consider insignia red to be.

Back to MRP International orange (MRP-232).  I find this to be a closer match to the orange that VFA/VA-86 uses for its squadron markings.

On 7/18/2022 at 12:20 AM, Falconxlvi said:

Steve 

Steve, 

is the tcp 1210 a dead match for international orange, the fightertown decal orange, or both?

thanks

mike

On 7/19/2022 at 1:53 PM, longmc said:

Steve, 

is the tcp 1210 a dead match for international orange, the fightertown decal orange, or both?

thanks

mike

Dead match for international orange.   I don’t have the fighter town sheet to compare 

On 7/19/2022 at 12:57 PM, sigtau said:

MRP-002 is really the better match to "International Orange"  MRP calls it insignia red, but that's really not the right name.  They also have another insignia red, MRP-299, which is in fact what most modelers consider insignia red to be.

Back to MRP International orange (MRP-232).  I find this to be a closer match to the orange that VFA/VA-86 uses for its squadron markings.

I just had a look at MRP-002 and you’re right, that does look much better!

Yes! But it became relatively hard to find, and Chevy engine red was more plentiful (at the time) and it's very close to the same color. I still have a couple of bottles of CER. Just used some on this Coastie HO4S-3G 1/72 scale Revell/Italeri:

ItaHO4S-3G.JPG