1/48 F/A-18A seat options

Hello,

I am collecting aftermarket for the Hasegawa F/A-18A I want to build for the Hornet Group build. What is the best option for a seat in 2022? I see Quickboost makes a seat, are there others to consider? 

Edited by Kurt H.

Good Luck with Quickboost.  I've found them hit and miss. I tried Draken and Crusader seats in 1/48 Hasegawa kits, both were oversized. The Crusader seat I could grind off all the detail on the sides to wedge it into the stock cockpit. The Draken seat was impossible to use. It was several millimeters too wide to fit the space.  You'd have to carve off both sides of the frame and part of the cushion to get it down between the side consoles.  I was able to use their Sea Vixen seats in the Airfix kit and don't recall any problems.

Edit: Figured I should add something useful rather than just rant about poor fitting aftermarket junk.  You are probably looking for the SJU-5/6.  I'm not sure when the SJU-17 (NACES) started going into F/A-18's or if they were retrofitted to older planes. There have been quite a few of both over the years, but most are from defunct companies. I used a Verlinden seat in a Monogram F/A-18 about 25 years ago.  Aires and Legend seats should be obtainable.  Scalemates should have a list.

Edited by Crash Test Dummy
On 7/21/2022 at 12:26 PM, Kurt H. said:

Hello,

I am collecting aftermarket for the Hasegawa F/A-18A I want to build for the Hornet Group build. What is the beast option for a seat in 2022? I see Quickboost makes a seat, are there others to consider? 

G'day Kurt,

You did not mention whuch country. RAAF/Canadian A models used the SJU-9 (the '10' was the sub variant used in twin seaters), not sure about Spain, Swiss or Malaysian Hornets. The external difference is the parachute harness arrangement as the SJU-5/6 uses a US Navy style harness system  but the 9/10 was fitted with a USAF style buckle arrangement. The SJU-5 (again the '6' was for a twin tub) was used initially in USN/USMC service but later these were retro fitted with the NACES seat, so most likely the latter seat.

I like the Wolfpack Details NACES sets but for the SJU Aires or QB are also good.

On 7/21/2022 at 1:50 PM, Crash Test Dummy said:

Good Luck with Quickboost.  I've found them hit and miss. I tried Draken and Crusader seats in 1/48 Hasegawa kits, both were oversized. The Crusader seat I could grind off all the detail on the sides to wedge it into the stock cockpit. The Draken seat was impossible to use. It was several millimeters too wide to fit the space.  You'd have to carve off both sides of the frame and part of the cushion to get it down between the side consoles.  I was able to use their Sea Vixen seats in the Airfix kit and don't recall any problems.

Edit: Figured I should add something useful rather than just rant about poor fitting aftermarket junk.  You are probably looking for the SJU-5/6.  I'm not sure when the SJU-17 (NACES) started going into F/A-18's or if they were retrofitted to older planes. There have been quite a few of both over the years, but most are from defunct companies. I used a Verlinden seat in a Monogram F/A-18 about 25 years ago.  Aires and Legend seats should be obtainable.  Scalemates should have a list.

G'day CTD, I had the same issue with the QB F-8 Crusader seat (F5) and the bucket needed some very slight sanding to fit. The detail lost would not have been visible in any case. I find that QB seats generally have excellent detail otherwise.

I thought I just read that at least some CF-188s were refitted with SJU-17 seats (or something very similar) in recent years. I'm building the Kinetic kit using "60 Years of NORAD" anniversary markings from TwoBobs. I've just invested in a Wolfpack SJU-17 seat and am hoping it's appropriate for that plane?

7 hours ago, seawinder said:

I thought I just read that at least some CF-188s were refitted with SJU-17 seats (or something very similar) in recent years. I'm building the Kinetic kit using "60 Years of NORAD" anniversary markings from TwoBobs. I've just invested in a Wolfpack SJU-17 seat and am hoping it's appropriate for that plane?

When the RAAF retired its legacy Hornets, several of these airframes and spares (including the seats) were sold to Canada. All RAAF legacy Hornets were fitted with the SJU-5/6. Maybe the Canucks are retrofitting the NACES seat, but initially they were flying the same seats. 

The Supers/Growlers come with NACES as standard OEM fit,

cheers,

Pappy

1/48 SJU-5/6's that I know of:

Pavla S48004

True Details TD48418

Avionix BLC48016 (set of 10 different seats)

Quickboost QB48001

Art 48002

Verlinden 410

High Planes Models 48002

Aires 4216

Aires 4230 F/A-18A cockpit set

The last option makes fitting the seat to the cockpit a non-issue. Knowing Aires, fitting the cockpit to the kit might be a different story. You could be lucky though.

Thanks everyone for your help, I will see what I can find.  I was at the NATS, and I went to the Quickboost table, he said he only brought one and sold it within 30 minutes on wednesday. 

Edited by Kurt H.

I got a Verlinden seat from Dragon Hobbies on eBay. I wish I could do local pickup ... they are within walking distance from my house.

It will be a challenge for me to paint it convincingly ... It is almost like painting a figure, with all the straps, and tonal variation needed in the seat cushions. 

I for one really hate working with PE seatbelts. They look nicelly when done, but getting there is a pain for me. I'm pretty sure I'm more happy to be done, than of the outcome. So I kind of like Quickboost range - pretty much similar to Aires, but with moulded on belts. Just the SJU-5 looks a bit tiny. For the F/A-18 I feel the seat headrest should almost touch the canopy glass when closed, and the seat cushion shouldn't be higher than the side consoles. I remember the QB seat wasn't tall enough for both.

I'm currently building the 2018 "60 Years of NORAD" display plane, SN 188776. Closeup photos of the cockpit area pretty clearly show it with an SJU-17 seat. I've got a resin seat from Wolfpack that fits the Kinetic cockpit tub no problem.