ACCURATE MINIATURES P-51A 1/48

Hello friends...

Completed decaling today. 30 year old decals start to show their age but workable. Too bad there is no current after market decals for the early P-51 family. There was one made by Super Scale in the early 90's but the it was not opaque enough to be used. Interesting note is in 1943, P-51As were still being used in different theaters. Dai 

306094224_5436185663138346_9130982613726582594_n.jpg

Edited by dai phan

Hi all,

I am waiting for the flap kits to arrive from CZ. If this does not go (designed for the AM kit), there is another option. ICM produces a kit with separate flaps that is based (or copy) of the AM kit. So stay tuned. Dai 

th.jpg

th (1).jpg

Edited by dai phan

Hello fellow modelers,

The project is 97% completed. Still waiting for the flaps set to be arrived from CZ. Here are my takes on this twin builds:

PROS:

1. The best available kits for the 51 and A version in 1/48. The Academy is the rebox and ICM is poor copy /modifications of the AK kit.

2. Detailed cockpit and wheel bays.

3. General good fit overall.

4. Quality decal sheet.

5. Bulged tires option available. 

CONS:

1. Poor instruction sheet.

2. Clear parts do not fit well to the leading edge. I had to do some shaving to get the wing light to have acceptable fit on my P-51A version.

3. Landing wheel doors do not fit well to the gears. 

4. One piece tail wheel. 

5. One piece canopy. 

6. Fuselage sink marks.

I also use the Verlinden engine and update set. The engine is passable if you install the lower cowling or stratch build the under engine details. The offering is severly lacking in this area. The update set I found be of no use. The flaps are way undersize. The cockpit set does not add any improvement over the kit's parts. The wing gun bay I did not use (thank the Lord). 

This kit was released in 1993 by Accurate Miniature and was hailed state of the art back then. Today it is considered average by today's standard. Will post more photos once the flaps are installed. Dai

307919489_5452680641488848_8378868231386619226_n.jpg

Edited by dai phan
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/7/2022 at 12:55 AM, Snowbird3a said:

great work !!    just to note that the inner gear  doors on Allison powered Mustangs were mechanically locked up and did not 'droop' upon shutdown

Cheers, Tony

That is what it is believed but after a while, the inner gear doors started to drop down after loss of hydraulic pressure. I have seen many photos on the Net showing Allison Mustangs with doors drop down. But I am not sticker for accuracy :). Dai 

n90358f.jpg

Edited by dai phan

Lovely job on the 2 Mustangs, I would be happy if they were in my collection.

I would be wary about using restored & museum warbirds as refs, these 2 likely use P-51D parts in their restoration. Tony is correct in saying that the main doors were latched on Allison Mustangs, but on the flip side they could be unlatched for ground crew maintenance. So I guess it's a win all round & at the end of the day they are your models to do with as you see fit.

Oh & one other point, not a good idea to post photos from airliners.net if not your photo, they don't like it........

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?/topic/206274-airlinersnet-and-other-photo-copyright-policy/

1 hour ago, barkin mad said:

Lovely job on the 2 Mustangs, I would be happy if they were in my collection.

I would be wary about using restored & museum warbirds as refs, these 2 likely use P-51D parts in their restoration. Tony is correct in saying that the main doors were latched on Allison Mustangs, but on the flip side they could be unlatched for ground crew maintenance. So I guess it's a win all round & at the end of the day they are your models to do with as you see fit.

Oh & one other point, not a good idea to post photos from airliners.net if not your photo, they don't like it........

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?/topic/206274-airlinersnet-and-other-photo-copyright-policy/

Thank you for pointing out about the photo so I delete it. Thanks ! Dai 

On 10/7/2022 at 7:37 PM, dai phan said:

That is what it is believed but after a while, the inner gear doors started to drop down after loss of hydraulic pressure. I have seen many photos on the Net showing Allison Mustangs with doors drop down. But I am not sticker for accuracy :). Dai 

no, they were mechanically locked, no drooping was possible.  Modern restored warbirds have incorporated 'D' model gear parts, so there will be drooping apparent with them.

Your model; your rules  as always

Cheers, Tony

36 minutes ago, Snowbird3a said:

no, they were mechanically locked, no drooping was possible.  Modern restored warbirds have incorporated 'D' model gear parts, so there will be drooping apparent with them.

Your model; your rules  as always

Cheers, Tony

Thank you Tony for your reply. I found this photo of the P-51As awaiting flight testing and the door flaps were down. Dai 

P-51A.jpg

Edited by dai phan
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/22/2022 at 4:54 PM, Slartibartfast said:

Looks to be at North American’s Inglewood factory, so doors could be unlatched for ease of inspection before the day’s test flights.

So it would not be inaccurate if I have the doors down? Dai