CF-188 dorsal disk thing

There was an ARC thread about seven years ago where someone asked about the disk-shaped dorsal fairing behind the cockpit on CF-188s. At the time, AlienFrogModeller, who had just finished a beautiful model of an RCAF Hornet and seemed to have some inside information, said he wasn't allowed to talk about it. Are we far enough on in time that somebody can share any information about it? I also wonder if any aftermarket outfit has released a 1/48 resin piece. I'll obviously scratchbuild it if necessary ...

For some reason, I was under the impression that it was related to GPS, but I currently have no idea why I thought so.

I tried to find something that would confirm or refute that, but didn't come up with much. Apparently among some of the more recent upgrades included some kind of upgrade to the EW suite, and if people are mum on the details, that could make sense. There is also the possibility of a system to combat GPS interference, but I can't say for certain.

Edited by Specter1075

The small circular bump aft of the tall blade antenna on the spine looks like a GPS antenna to me. GPS antennas don't have to be that big, even jam resistant ones, I've got one for an RC drone the size of my thumbnail. 

My guess is a SATCOM antenna.  I googled "SATCOM CF-188" and they did get a satellite communication system starting around 2008. It's probably pretty useful over the northern Canada. I couldn't find any photos, but I don't see anything else on the plane that looks like a likely antenna for SATCOM. 

On 7/27/2022 at 8:21 AM, phantom said:

Its just a cover. When R2D2 is not inside doing its super computer thing.

Looks like the top of the head of R2D2 when is on sleep mode