EC-130Q TACAMO: Info Needed

I am in the early stages of making a model of an EC-130Q USN TACAMO aircraft.  I have scoured the internet and my own resources on C-130s and found precious little on the unique features of the aircraft.  I was hoping that there might be somebody in ARC that might have some experience with the aircraft or access to some more expansive C-130 references that could shed some light on the subject.

Please reply to this message, PM or e-mail direct mongo01 - at- twc -dot- com

TIA

Jeff "Mongo" Cramer

I only need exterior detail info:

1.  I'm looking for some dimensions for the wingtip pod. 

2.  I also need some good photos or diagrams for the long-wire and short-wire antennas.  I have a couple images of those, but they are inconclusive on precise location, shapes and sizes. 

3.  Also, there are several variants of the left forward landing gear sponson (all of which are represented in images of the EC-130Q) that I could use some help deciphering.

Yes, I do Fascistbook..., but I'm not me over there; I use a nom de guerre.

World Air Power Journal has several excellent articles with photos and line drawings for all Herk models, including the EC-130G/Q TACAMO birds.  Main external differences are the two wingtip pods (blue oval) and the VLF aerial drogues (red ovals) on the centerline of the lower rear ramp and tip of the rear beaver tail fairing.  There are some additional smaller aerials (purple ovals) and the HF wire aerials from the tail  to the  forward fuselage (green ovals)

image.png.2718fdbbb0837392b3ed02bdbcced287.png

EC-130Q (also has the later T56-15 engines in longer nacelles).

2014295516_EC-130Q2.JPG.4d00ee1017a7d2286d01deeba86b714c.JPG

And another photo of an EC-130Q from below. (scramble.nl)

Mongo,

FWIW, the wingtip pods look almost exactly like the 2.75in rocket pods on CF-100 Canuck wingtips, only longer, and perhaps larger diameter. Maybe you could locate a set of 1/48 CF-100 pods for a 1/72 C-130G/Q.

HTH,

Dutch

20 hours ago, mongo said:

I only need exterior detail info:

1.  I'm looking for some dimensions for the wingtip pod. 

2.  I also need some good photos or diagrams for the long-wire and short-wire antennas.  I have a couple images of those, but they are inconclusive on precise location, shapes and sizes. 

3.  Also, there are several variants of the left forward landing gear sponson (all of which are represented in images of the EC-130Q) that I could use some help deciphering.

Yes, I do Fascistbook..., but I'm not me over there; I use a nom de guerre.

There are a few TACAMO groups on Fakebook, I've had good luck sending messages to admins (other groups) asking for help.

There is a static display (Tinker AFB?) that you might be able to locate on Google Earth, you could then get your own measurements from that image.

8 hours ago, Da SWO said:

There are a few TACAMO groups on Fakebook, I've had good luck sending messages to admins (other groups) asking for help.

There is a static display (Tinker AFB?) that you might be able to locate on Google Earth, you could then get your own measurements from that image.

It is at Tinker, right next to the E-6 complex. 

Here at NAS Pax River's museum they are getting ready to open a new wing dedicated to TACAMO next month. I believe they will have one of the wingtip pods on display that I may be able to get dimensions for you.

5 hours ago, 82Whitey51 said:

Here at NAS Pax River's museum they are getting ready to open a new wing dedicated to TACAMO next month. I believe they will have one of the wingtip pods on display that I may be able to get dimensions for you.

Wow!  That would be great!  I certainly would appreciate it.  perhaps we could continue this conversation to make arrangements offline by direct e-mail to

mongo01 - at - twc - dot - com  Thanks!

23 hours ago, Gary F said:

There’s also a window in the cargo ramp to check on the wire. 

Ah, yes...!  I see that now on one image I have.  Thanks for pointing that out!

6 hours ago, Gary F said:

Also keep an eye on window configuration on fuselage side and cheeks under the cockpit. 

Yeah, now that you mention that, I see there are "missing" windows in the cockpit on some aircraft.

Another thing I've observed is variations in the inlet arrangement on the forward part of both left and right landing gear sponsons.  On the left side, some aircraft have the APU inlet as on most C-130Hs, some have two inlets and some have inlets in a more forward and lower location.  On the right the right side the inlets are either a NACA inlet on the side or a ram-type inlet on the very front of the sponson.  The right side arrangement is present on other C-130Hs; is that a matter of production block upgrades?

On 8/2/2022 at 7:18 AM, mongo said:

Yeah, now that you mention that, I see there are "missing" windows in the cockpit on some aircraft.

Another thing I've observed is variations in the inlet arrangement on the forward part of both left and right landing gear sponsons.  On the left side, some aircraft have the APU inlet as on most C-130Hs, some have two inlets and some have inlets in a more forward and lower location.  On the right the right side the inlets are either a NACA inlet on the side or a ram-type inlet on the very front of the sponson.  The right side arrangement is present on other C-130Hs; is that a matter of production block upgrades?

First, a little history. Only four EC-130G models were built: 151888-91. These were roughly equivalent to early model C-130Es. They were delivered with T56-A-7 engines, but were later upgraded to the T56-A-423 engines. They had short wheel sponsons with the NACA style AC inlets.  They were initially operated as a special detachment by VR-1. They proved the concept of VLF communication with submerged submarines and the Navy purchased 18 EC-130Qs, over several years and production blocks starting in late 1960s-early 1980s.  The first 8 Qs (156170-77) were within the very early C-130H production run, and received the T56-A-423 and short sponsons.  The next two Qs (159469 & 159348) were mid production Hs with the same T56-A-423 engines and short sponsons. The last eight Qs were produced with long sponsons.  The T56-A-423 had additional accessory drives to provide power to the aerial winches and VLF comm equipment.   

Concerning the starboard side sponson, all G & the first ten Q models had the NACA style inlet on the short sponson, while the last eight Q models had the later elongated sponson with the oval inlet and the AC heat exchanger below & behind cockpit on starboard side ala the late C-130H models. The port sponson had a few different configurations. I will have to do more research. A few photos to clarify my remarks.

EC-130G.JPG.6af832b618517c97b96ffccaa9067f1a.JPG

First EC-130G circa mid 1960s, with VR-1 markings.  Note short sponsons, NACA style inlets and normal cargo C-130 cabin windows (three per side).

EC-130G_151888.JPG.1f0034c74ed6fbf93894387c9a287f2a.JPG

EC-130G 151888 circa late 1980s. (Airliners.net)  Note short sponsons, NACA style inlet, cabin windows now removed.

EC-130G_69.thumb.JPG.fe6d2c2672ab76111d746643cc614c1b.JPG

EC-130Q 159469 port side view. Again, note short sponsons, APU bulge & intake/exhaust vents in forward port sponson and fewer cabin windows. 

EC-130Q_156170_VQ-4_EGUN_08Nov75.JPG.24048e02febf33a7c3019050a0896b13.JPG

First EC-130Q 156170 circa 1975 (Airliners.net). Note short sponsons, NACA style inlet, only two cabin windows on stbd side.

EC-130Q_162312_VQ-4_KMIA_1988.JPG.674de5eeb484526380eec41274f5054c.JPG

Second to last EC-130Q 162312 circa 1988 (Airliners.net).  Note the long sponsons and oval inlet, only two cabin windows, no lower cockpit taxi windows and AC heat exchanger behind & below cockpit.

EC-130Q_162313_VQ-4_EGUN_1985.JPG.01dc382e1c4b7ca7c22039eb4d0ad331.JPG

Last EC-130Q 162313 (Airliners.net) circa 1985. Note long sponson, APU and extra NACA inlet, only one cabin window on port side and no lower cockpit taxi windows.

Edited by Dutch

Hi Dutch;

Thank you!  That is some really useful information.  I have a few C-130 references, but nothing that explains the subtleties of the sponsons as clearly as you have.  I assumed that the EC-130Qs were purchased over a range of production blocks and exhibited a range of variations for that reason.

I guess I'll restrict myself to the older "short sponson" version of the EC-130 since I'm not going to modify my model to reflect the extended sponson.

The model is a gift for my brother who flew the EC-130Qs in VQ-4 in the late-80s.  I'm using the ancient (but still usable) Airfix C-130 kit.  I'm bashing the Testors/Italeri nacelles onto it (the Airfix motors are dismal) since I'm replacing my Testors/Italeri kit motors with aftermarket upgrades...  Confused yet?

Thank you, and thanks to all who have contributed images, and links and pointed out details I have overlooked or simply needed confirmation of my own observations.

• 2 weeks later...

Mongo -

Long time no comms! Whitey passed me your query. I have been working on the same project! I have SOME dimension info as well as some photos of the pods (off the wing). TACAMO is having a reunion at PAX to open the room at the museum over labor day. I'll get more info and accurate dimensions then as I am on the board and will be there starting the 31st. I also have my EC-130G/Q NATOPS manual but there are no dimensions in it of these components. Also, the HF antennas did not only go to the fuselage. Once I get the info I need, I'm going to see if one the local guys here will 3D print them for me.

You may still have my email but shoot me a message at (mach1@carolina.rr.com).

John Alger